Going off-road in 2wd
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going off-road in 2wd

Liked
    0 times

Default Going off-road in 2wd

I have had my Tundra 2wd, V8, LSD, TRD off road for 2 weeks. I was just wondering how well this would do offroad. Not hardcore offroading but just medium trail to a lake. I really wanted a 4x4, but it was either a 4x4 V6 or V8. I think the V8 was a better choice but just want to see if anyone has taken their 2WD TRD with LSD out on some trails.
    Thanks for the help,
    Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Going off-road in 2wd

I have a stick shift 2WD V6 and the same question.
    2012 Silver 5.7 CrewMax 4X4 TRD

Previously... 2001 Green V6 Access Cab 4X2 STICK_SHIFT

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

You can take it off road...all you want. Just be smart about it. I do it all the time in mine. I can go ALMOST everywhere a 4wd can. Before anyone jumps all over me, I said almost. It is all about technique !!

Liked
    2 times

you are right, it is about technique. Shoot, i've got 4wd and been stuck 4 times now... just go real easy on the gas and pay attention to your wheels, 'cause you will dig very easy... and don't depend on that LSD, it's still not a locker... pick a good firm line and BEFORE all else fails, walk the path you are taking, no matter where it is, you will find out a heck of a lot before it really gets you in a bad situation...
    2000 Tundra
    4x4
    6spd
    v6

285 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Donahoe Racing Coilovers
    Total Chaos UCA's
    arb bumper
    12000lb warn w/ amsteel line
    optima batt, 130amp alternator, KC daylighters
    Poly steering bushings
    custom long travel swaybar links
    HAM: KI4RXK google me! www.gaprs.net

Liked
    1 times

Do you know where I can learn about the offroad techniques with a 2WD? Thanks.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

It is all about practice..Go with someone preferably who has 4WD. This way you can see what will get you stuck, and you have your buddy to pull you out. Bigger tires, and lower air presssure help out too. Go 4 wheeling in other peoples trucks and watch and learn..

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Re: Going off-road in 2wd

Ive had my 4x2 non TRD off road in the mountains in Montana. It did great.

Liked
    1 times

BASMITH...one thing that you can do to really help yourself is to use a couple of 25# lead shot bags (you can get them wherever they sell ammo) and put them in the bed just behind your right wheel well. I did this when I had a 4x2 and it helped significantly. Trucks are by design light in the rear end, and you can grab a lot more traction with just 50# of weight over the drive wheel. Also get some dirt tires, and like the boys said, after that, it's mostly timing, lines and technique....

Liked
    5 times

Originally posted by dboy4ever:
    Do you know where I can learn about the offroad techniques with a 2WD? Thanks.
    Since you are in the Bay area, check out the California Forum. The NorCal guys seem to go offroading quite a bit.
    ~Sally

~~MustangSally~~

2001 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4
    Imperial Jade Mica/Thunder Gray Metallic

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I don't have the LSD, but my V8 Tundra loses traction all the time in very mild situations. Its definitely a good idea to put some weight back there, and lower your tire pressure a bit. I would put more than 50 pounds though. Probably about 200 lbs. Remember.. momentum is your friend.. plan your routes well, and don't stop unless you know you can get running again. go with someone who has 4wd, so they can tow you out

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Offroading in 2wd TRD package

That is very good news for me, since I'm installing a locker (which by the way, is supposed to outperform a LSD off-road) and have an upcoming off-road event. So thanks for sharing. What tires are you running by the way?

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Offroading in 2wd TRD package

Right now I am running 265's, that will change when I graduate from college in 2 months

Liked
    0 times

Default Offroading in 2wd TRD package

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to tell all you 2wd owners with TRD off road package, LSD, that are worried how their truck will do offroading, that it does great. I went through mud, snow and huge rocks. I even got stuck on purpose in the mud and got out of the 1 and a half foot deep mud. It does great. I can't wait to bring it out again. So don't be afraid of not having 4x4 and take it out.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Let me add to what muck said: "Go with someone who has 4wd so they can pull you out". Make sure for your first several times that this "someone" knows what he/she is doing. A friend of mine who had a 2wd Dodge years ago went fourwheeling with his new girl friend who claimed to be an "expert". She in her 4wd Ford. He in his Dodge. I got the call several hours later to rescue them both. He was stuck and so was she. She had buried that Ford so bad that it took a Diesel CAT to get her out. When I asked what happened, it appears that when he got stuck. She backed up, hitched up her tow strap and floored it and held the pedal down. Result... Two stuck trucks!
    Mark

Liked
    0 times

I actually just went offroading last week in my TRD with LSD. I was with a 4x4 Expedition. The road was closed where we wanted to go but there was this good sized ditch to the side that looked pretty rough. I followed the Expedition and did it just fine. I also went over ice, snow, boulders, mud, and even climbed big hills full of big rocks and boulders. My first time was a success. I even stopped in the foot and a half deep mud to get stuck on purpose. It took a few minutes but I got out on my own. It took me hours to clean all the mud off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.