Best way to ship tires?
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to ship tires?

Liked
    0 times

Default Best way to ship tires?

I have a set of tires that I'm selling on ebay, I just don't understand how some people ship them so cheap. I called 3 different shipping store in my area today and the best price I could get was $35 per tire. I have seen tires shipping on ebay for $80 for 4 tires. Anyone know something about shipping these things that I don't, thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    5 times

Default Re: Best way to ship tires?

UPS and DHL ship tires cheap. DHL is cheapest by far. You dont even need to box them. Just stack two of them together and then strap them by twine, tape, straps, etc. So in the end you are shipping two seperate packages basically (2 tires each package). You cant strap all 4 together because then it is too bulky and will be considered oversized (means more $$$). Then you type up the shipping info and tape it to the tread of the tire.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    14 times

Cost all depends on distance/insurance?

Liked
    14 times

My neighbor had a set shipped via FedEx ground. He said it was actually cheaper than UPS. Don't know about the others tho.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    10 times

I don't know if they still do, but I have had tires shipped to me by the US Postal Service, by far the cheapest shipping I have ever had for tires....
    Nick Brewer
    NickBrewer@msn.com
    2007 Toyota Tundra RCSB 5.7L
    1986 Yamaha SRX-6
    2013 Yamaha XTZ1200D Super Tenere

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mgsw530 View Post
    Cost all depends on distance/insurance?
    well the guy that was shipping for $80 had a flat rate, so it actually didn't depend on the location. I don't have a DHL place around here, I don't know if it will matter if I bind them together for ups/fedex.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jonesark View Post
    I have a set of tires that I'm selling on ebay, I just don't understand how some people ship them so cheap. I called 3 different shipping store in my area today and the best price I could get was $35 per tire. I have seen tires shipping on ebay for $80 for 4 tires. Anyone know something about shipping these things that I don't, thanks guys.
    are you packing them yourself or the store is including it in the price?

but most important, shippers that have a account with ups or fedex, get a steep discount, especially those that ship a lot.
    -Greg
    (Sold to) References: keninsb, BamaDave, Sweet Mercy, Daily-Tundra, Hootbro, andito77, sodar, kcpake, roadking3, TACOMA915, barna6vi, matrix77, bds13, msaltx07, guyjones10, Marky_Mark, lucentking, dbllung, goingnorth52, TeXas_TRD, Verchu , lestodd40@hotmail.com, ajbush@hughes.net
    more references: bimmerforums.com, caraudio.com, audiogon.com, ebay.com

www.abcregeneracja.com
    ABC-Regeneracja: profesjonalna naprawa oraz regeneracja bloków i zaworów ABC zawieszenia Mercedes S, CL, SL

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NickBrewer View Post
    I don't know if they still do, but I have had tires shipped to me by the US Postal Service, by far the cheapest shipping I have ever had for tires....
    Agreed. My gf shipped tires from her tC for $14 a piece through them. Just taped a piece of paper to each one with the address and they stuck a shipping label on the paper. UPS wanted to put them in boxes, and because of the size they would have had to go in boxes that were much bigger than the tires and would have ended up at around $100.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

anyone have experience shipping wheels and tires together?? Will dhl take them without being in boxes?

Liked
    53 times

If you're going to ship via UPS, take the tires directly to the actual UPS location (NOT the UPS Store). The UPS Store charges a markup on the shipping rates, so if you go directly to the UPS center you can get it shipped for a little cheaper.

Liked
    4 times

We've done this several times and have used different carriers.(Just have to call for rates)
    The last one was Central Transport* we took them to a local dock and had all four stacked,shrink wrapped and metal banded to a pallet.They arrived in good order and didn't suffer the common issues associated with shipping loose(lost/mis loaded/routed 1:4,sidewall scuffs/cuts etc)

The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so
    - Mark Twain

Liked
    0 times

tirerack sent me my tires 2 per package, strapped together with cardboard circles on both ends with tape to protect the sidewall. arrived just fine. they charged me $40 for shipping UPS I think...
    2007 CREW MAX X-SP BLACK/BEIGE 4X4
    OEM CHROME HANDLES, LUND GRILLE, TOYOTA BUG DEFLECTOR

WT
    Liked
    73 times
    Images

I had some wheels and tires mounted and balanced for my car shipped to me from Cal. and what the company did was used circle cut cardboard on each end around the wheels to protect the rims and tires and then they shrink wrapped 2 of them together and strapped too. They just slapped the label on the outside of the wheels on the cardboard areas. They got to me with no damage and ready to mount on the car. They choose FEDEX ground since it seemed they best price they said and they do alot of wheels and tires. So you may want to contact FEDEX for pricing if you have not already.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I recently did a lot of research about shipping four Pro Comp 33 inch off road tires that weighed 50 pounds each from Anaheim, California to Austin, Texas. FedEx Ground, UPS Ground, and three different freight trucking companies all wanted around $240 - $400 dollars to ship the tires that I packaged myself with large Home Depot cardboard boxes using shrink wrap and tape.

After two days of researching the internet I learned that if you have an individual UPS shipping account or FedEx account there isn't really any savings for shipping large boxes. Having a business account is the best way to save money but since I am an individual who doesn't have a company to ship my tires I had to look elsewhere.

So, I took the advice of one individual on this forum and called Greyhound Bus Lines shipping department. They put me in touch with Busfreighter.com which is running a special at the moment for shipping large items like tires. They will ship a total of 200 pounds of freight which can be as many as 8 boxes across the whole country if you wish for only $120 dollars. Since I only had four boxes to ship they still gave me the same deal.

My four tires weighed a little more than 200 pounds, 224 pounds of tare net weight to be exact because of the boxes, shrink wrap, and tape. Greyhound still only charged me $120 for everything. I felt like I got a great deal, way better than FedEX, UPS, or the trucking companies. Greyhound Bus Line even insured my shipment for free up to $1000 dollars.

The only drawback is that Greyhound will only ship to the terminals in cities that they serve. Since my son lives 36 miles west of Austin, Texas he will have to drive to the terminal there and pick up the tires.

By the way, Greyhound told me that the tires would arrive in 2 to 3 days which was way better than FedEx or UPS which told me that the tires would take 5 to 7 days to arrive since it was such a large shipment.

I hope this little bit of information helps you save time and money on shipping tires in the future. Good Luck.

Liked
    7 times
    Images

I greyhound tires to south south Texas on a regular basis. Don't know cost as buyer handles that but has to be th cheapest, at least you'd think it would be the cheapest. Plus it's same day service.
    If you can't Dodge it, Ram it, then buy a Tundra

08 5.7 Black D-Cab LTD Red Rock int....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast