What's the best way to clean oil off a garage floor?
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to clean oil off a garage floor?

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default What's the best way to clean oil off a garage floor?

I just put a garage in last year, and have never had to deal with this before. My son's friend parked his old clunker in the garage for a while, and when he left, he left this about 1 foot circle of oil. I've heard folks talk of using Kitty litter, but I want to know the best way to remove this completely. I sealed the floor last fall before it got cold with UGLock Clear concrete sealer, hoping it would keep stuff like this from sticking, but it must have it's limits.

-Garth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times

I use mineral spirits (solvent) and rags, then follow up with kitty litter. I kind of scuff the kitty litter around with my shoe soles and really grind it in. Then I sweep it up. This is for untreated concrete. This method could scratch up you sealer, so be careful.

Bob

ADDING POWER HAS NEVER BEEN SO FAST!

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    357 times

Kitty litter will soak up liquids nicely but it won't clean a dirty floor. Just spread it on the oil and mush it around until it's saturated, then scoop it off with a dust pan. Then put more on and scrub it hard using a block of wood, perhaps an 8" section of 2x4. Then sweep it up.

So, have you shot your son's friend yet?

Liked
    0 times

Try a thick solution of Dawn dishwashing detergent and a scrub brush. Let sit 10-15 min., scrub, let it sit again. Wipe as much as possible. Then water and sponge.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default thanks

Ok, I'll give these ideas a shot, thanks. I was wondering if Lestoil would work, it's great when I wash grease/oil off my hands.

> have I shot my son's friend yet.

No, of course, he says it wasn't his car... yeah, right... I park my tundra there every night, and don't have a single spot! (I back in, vs. this person having driven in.) A neighbor of mine said I should put a large piece of cardboard down in case there ever is a drop/leak from my truck. I'm thinking of doing that, but it detracts a bit from the look of a nice clean garage floor.

-Garth

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I heard once that dilluted bleach works pretty good.

Liked
    0 times

Go to your local auto parts store and get Disc Brake Cleaner. This stuff is pretty potent, and is made for getting oil and grease off of brake rotors when you do your brakes. Its usually in an Aerosol can. Spray some of that on the oil, and its gone!

Liked
    0 times

I had to clean my carport when I moved into the new house.

Wet it down with a hose, sprinkle on some powdered Tide with bleach and let it sit. Then scrub it with regular old straw broom.

If that doesn't get it, there's always muriatic acid.
    - Mark
    Just a hangin' out.

Liked
    0 times

yep, i use ether and gas for cleaning lots of things. Brake cleaner is good but carb cleaner is way better. The only diffrence between brake cleaner and carb cleaner is that the carb cleaner has a higher level of solvents. The brake cleaner has almost no solvent in it because any type of solvent leaves an oily residue thats not good for brakes.

Liked
    0 times

If none of those things work on the oil try pouring some CocaCola on the spot, it removes blood

Liked
    0 times

I second the brake cleaner. We use it at work all the time for small to medium floor clean up. Just spray it directly on the cement and rub a rag over it. It will probably remove your sealer coat but it sounds like you need to reseal any way.

Liked
    0 times

any type of solvent leaves an oily residue thats not good for brakes.
    If you are trying to remove oil, would you want to use a cleaner that leaves an oily residue behind?

The brake cleaner is nice because not only does it completely dissolve the oil, but it also completely evaporates, taking all the oil with it! (hmmmm...thinking about it, that HAS to be good for the environment!)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Re: What's the best way to clean oil off a garage floor?

I heard a good review of a new product on the Mr. Fix It show in Chicago (WGN Radio). It's called Oil Gone Easy. I had good luck with this product. It got rid of a fresh oil stain in about a week. Good product if you don't mind waiting a little. The good part is that you don't need to clean anything up - it just eats the oil.

"Rosco" Thread Derailer Flashgordon's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times

Default Re: What's the best way to clean oil off a garage floor?

Damn, I had to give Cleanguy points for digging up this old thread.
    I don't care if he makes the product or not....he spent some time doing so....1 post...1 point.
    Last edited by Flashgordon; 07-29-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    Drink more. It probably won't help you understand better, but it just might, and that's a chance worth taking....
    Author;
    Dr. Bundy-AKA-"The Good Doctor"

"you can take the man out of the ho, you can not take the ho out of the man..."
    Author;
    Our Cigar Smoking Scotch Drinking Lesbian Friend-"Dikkie"

Supporter
    Liked
    86 times

Default Re: What's the best way to clean oil off a garage floor?

I never noticed that this is an old thread. My wife just heard that bicarb soda spread on oil stains will soak it up. She's working on an oil stain on our artificial grass carpeting out back and it seems to be getting some up. I like Dawn for most grease cutting stuff. Muriatic acid is nasty, but we used it to remove old carpet glue in the house once. Don't smell it too closely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast