Armstrong Hand Tools
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Armstrong Hand Tools

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Armstrong Hand Tools

Armstrong hand tools, a division of Danaher, same company as Craftsman, Allen and Matco. Just wondering if anyone uses the Armstrong brand, opinions, better than craftsman, etc. Would also appreciate any good links to hand tool websites that have the best prices. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

I "think" I seen Armstrong hand tools at Pep Boys back in the 60's. Again I "think" I had a few (not a set) of Armstrong open end hand wrenches at the same time that were OK.
    There are some other very good threads on tools in this forum that you should check out.
    For me if it is not a lifetime warranty hand tool I will probably not buy it.
    The cheapest lifetime warranty hand tools are Craftsmen and are sold at Sears and OSH.

Liked
    0 times

Originally posted by Bbbutch
    I "think" I seen Armstrong hand tools at Pep Boys back in the 60's. Again I "think" I had a few (not a set) of Armstrong open end hand wrenches at the same time that were OK.
    There are some other very good threads on tools in this forum that you should check out.
    For me if it is not a lifetime warranty hand tool I will probably not buy it.
    The cheapest lifetime warranty hand tools are Craftsmen and are sold at Sears and OSH.
    Sears hand tools are hard to beat. Not only for the quality and price but for the ease of replacement. No questions asked. Sears store always handy. Some Sears products I dont like but hand tools are not one of them. ---Buzzard

Liked
    0 times

Armstrong ...got by me. Checked their website and was interesting, esp. the [100%] made in USA. Some Craftsman tools now a days are *not* made in the USA, so you need to check if this is your criteria.

Some old old tools i saved from my dad's box ... Bonney, Husky [before the dog pik], Yankee, Great Neck, Snap-On, ChanneLock, Diamond, and a few more would have to go out in the tool shed and dig out. If it's a tool i will use a lot, buy good quality name brand. If occasiasonal use, an 18" Crescent style wrench for example, will buy lesser brand.

One thing i am surely into now adays is cordless tools! The first cordless tool i remember was a yellow Rockwell drill, about 1972, ?? volt. Then Black & Decker came out about 1983 or so with a black & gray drill, ?? volt. Both these were non-replaceable batts. Now i have two Makita drills, older 7.6 volt and newer 12 volt, and the Ryobi Pack of multi tools, 18 volt. Am interested in the Craftsman 24 volt circular saw and 24 volt chop saw next.

Cheers,
    -RH

Liked
    0 times

We used mostly Williams and Proto at the plant. Williams being the prefered choice. They had a flat edge on the handle and were a little easier on your hand, had a little better angle on the box side,also a little longer so we could get more leverage. Last heard some one bought them out and the Williams are no longer made. Some of the wrenches we used were longer than your arm. When I first started pipefitting and they were passing out my tools, I told them they had made a mistake ---those were BOILLERMAKER wrenches--- I was going to be a pipefitter, I needed a PIPEWRENCH. I worked in a Pollyethylene plant for a while and they had a wrench that was literally as long as I was tall. Pollyethylene plants (high pressure) are weird places. You see things there you dont see any other places. When I went thru as a pipefitter I knew a little more about the plant than the other guys because I operated it for 10 years before PFing. ---Buzz

Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up

I use snap on for most of my tools except when it comes to the larger tools. Then I use Armstrong, I prefer their quality over craftsman and can get a much better selection. But you need to have a good distributer to near you if you require quick replacements for broken tools.

Ps Buzard that polyetheline plant sounds scarey GE silicone is no picnic either.

Paul.

Liked
    0 times

Originally posted by pbmorrill1

Ps Buzard that polyetheline plant sounds scarey GE silicone is no picnic either.

Paul.
    They were pbmorrill---1 1/2" pipe (actually tubing) would have a hole a little larger than a dime. ---Some of the reactors ran at 50,000 psi. ----Buzz

Liked
    0 times

Ok fellas (and gals), here's my opinion on hand tools...

I work in aviation and for the most part my toolbox has mostly Craftsman. I do take a lot of crap from my co-workers because of it. Don't get me wrong, Snap-On probably makes the best tools money can buy (Mac being close behind), but that's the problem, it takes a lot of money to buy them!

For the most part, Craftsman does the job and don't cost nearly as much, but there are some things that you just absolutely have to get from Snap-On. Mac & SK also makes some pretty good tools.

For instance, the Snap-On wobbly head sockets are much better than the Craftsman, same is true for screwdrivers and such. But in cases like combo wrenches, the Craftsman Professional are just as good. I'm sure that what one needs varies from job to job.
    Channel-Lock is also good for pliers.

My point is, for occasional "project type" use, don't spend a fortune on tools. But for someone who uses them everyday, like for work or those who work on their cars or boats a lot, take a look at what you need and piece together a good combination of what suits your preference. I know a guy that has spent probably $20,000 on Snap-On tools, when I have pretty much the same stuff as he does from various brands and have spent about $2,000...you do the math.
    Mod's so far: Outside: Xenon heads/fogs, clear corner markers fitted w/ silverstars, clear/red/clear tails, front window tint (to match rear windows), de-badging, 265/75R16 B.Stone Revos
    Inside: Hand-made diamond plate pedals, Blue LED dash/AC panel/ignition/cig lighter/ashtray, map light mod.
    Coming soon...Wheels, 2.5" front lift kit, dual SpinTech exhaust, intake, billet grill, stereo in blue LED, maybe some headers...

Liked
    0 times

When you buy hand tooks from Sears, make sure you buy "Craftsman" They sell a "Companion" hand tool --Not the same quality and I dont think they have the same guarantee.--Buzz

Liked
    0 times

Thumbs down

I've seen those...they look pretty junky
    Mod's so far: Outside: Xenon heads/fogs, clear corner markers fitted w/ silverstars, clear/red/clear tails, front window tint (to match rear windows), de-badging, 265/75R16 B.Stone Revos
    Inside: Hand-made diamond plate pedals, Blue LED dash/AC panel/ignition/cig lighter/ashtray, map light mod.
    Coming soon...Wheels, 2.5" front lift kit, dual SpinTech exhaust, intake, billet grill, stereo in blue LED, maybe some headers...

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-13-2009, 03:49 AM