Mousetraps to keep dog off counter
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mousetraps to keep dog off counter

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Default Mousetraps to keep dog off counter

breeder saisd it was a good idea. I asked her if she meant the plastic ones and she said to get the wood ones.

Now that I've played around with the mouse traps, and snapped myself on the thick of my skin to see if it'd hurt the dog, I'm not 100% sure if I wanna use the method.

DO I put it so it snaps in or so he triggers it and it snaps away from him?

Or, do I go buy the plastic ones?

-rockstate

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2202 times
    Images

Default Re: Mousetraps to keep dog off counter

That sounds like a risky move. If you aren't there to help the dog when he gets his paw in the trap, could be bad. Does the dog get up on the counter or just kind of stand and put the paws up? I had some good result with my boxer by just correcting her when I see her putting her paws up. A quick and loud "HEY!" and she gets down. Takes time and patience but now in my presence, she never does it anymore. My uncle sprays some kind of chili pepper/water mixture on things he wants his dog to stay off, seems to work. Some dogs are just plain rebels. It can be hard to change bad habits.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    That sounds like a risky move. If you aren't there to help the dog when he gets his paw in the trap, could be bad. Does the dog get up on the counter or just kind of stand and put the paws up? I had some good result with my boxer by just correcting her when I see her putting her paws up. A quick and loud "HEY!" and she gets down. Takes time and patience but now in my presence, she never does it anymore. My uncle sprays some kind of chili pepper/water mixture on things he wants his dog to stay off, seems to work. Some dogs are just plain rebels. It can be hard to change bad habits.
    Thanks for the quick response. He's a stubborn bast(rd (goes along with the breed though )

He never sits still... ever, unless he's sleeping and just puts his paws up on the counter.

He's in his crate when I'm gone, although he did pull a houdini yesterday and get out.

I'm afraid he'll get his nose caught in there or his tongue but I guess that probably wouldn't set off the mousetrap...

-rockstate

Liked
    30 times
    Images

And as you can imagine, I'm absolutely thrilled to have 4 mousetraps set up on my counters where I'm bound to accidentally set 'em off lol.

-rockstate

Liked
    19 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockstate45 View Post
    breeder saisd it was a good idea. I asked her if she meant the plastic ones and she said to get the wood ones.

Now that I've played around with the mouse traps, and snapped myself on the thick of my skin to see if it'd hurt the dog, I'm not 100% sure if I wanna use the method.

DO I put it so it snaps in or so he triggers it and it snaps away from him?

Or, do I go buy the plastic ones?

-rockstate
    you should tell me who your breeder is so I can spread this ALL over the internet...

THIS SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BE DONE!!!!!!!

THIS IS ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!!!:der: you can break bones in paws!!! or cause nose fractures!!!! and if your not there to release it the dog can cause further damage trying to rip it off

who is the a$$ hole breeder that told you to do this?????

they should never be in care of an animal again!!!!

I'm not kidding I want to put this breeder out of business!!!!

as you can tell I'M FURIOUS!!!! DO NOT EVER USE THIS METHOD

oh yeah did I mention DO NOT EVER USE THIS METHOD

enough said!
    Last edited by pistolpete; 12-05-2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Pistol Pete
    "I don't want to change the world I just want to leave it colder"

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 (7844A), Phantom Grey Pearl, All weather guard package, fog lamps,keyless entry, 17" AA wheels, towing package, color-keyed overfenders, 4.1mm Limited Slip Diffy, Delux 3-in-1 JBL stereo, privacy glass, floor mats with sill protectors, bed extender

MODS- BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's (255/75R17), 17" KMC Venom 755 rims, Line-X, Retrax, Onki nerf boards (part #328078), Wade vent visors (part #88401) , TracRac (rail # OL-21609), Ultimate Fly Fishing Rod transporter, Spin Caster Rod holder in bed, Recon bedlights fully adjustable w/"nightvision", HitchSafe, Weathertech floor liners (part #46030-1&2, grey), debadged, visors destickered, rear window stop disabled, dynolock/PL8500 power tailgate lock, tailgate protector mod with detachable floormat, Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Air horn (300Hz), quick fist flashlight holder (all in photo gallery).....more custom suprises on the way!!

Liked
    802 times
    Images

I have to totally agree with pistolpete on this. I would never even think
    to do something like that, never mind tell someone else to do it. I'm surprised
    the breeder didn't tell you to put some anti-freeze up there for the dog
    to get into to teach it a lesson.

I'm sure there are much more humane ways to teach the dog not to get into
    things it shouldn't. I had a German Shephard many years ago and it was
    quite a bit of work to get him trained, but persistence paid off. We did the
    crate thing whenever we weren't home and overnight for the first six months and gated
    areas off that he wasn't allowed into until he was grown and responsible.

I don't know how many dogs you've had in the past or even how old this one is,
    but I would think about getting him/her/you into a training class to learn some
    basics and socialize the dog. Just don't bring it to a class put on by the breeder!
    Good luck.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    1 times

plastic mouse traps work well. never use real mouse traps. the plastic ones will snap and scare him, which is all that is needed. i've used them to keep dogs off the couch and cats off the counters and tables.
    2.4" front/1" rear leveling kit - toyo A/T 285/75/18 tires - bull bar with hella 500FF lights - 20% tint side and back windows - 55% full windshield tint

in the works:
    stock HU -> LOC -> PPI FRX-456 -> DLS A4 + Marathon 6150 -> DLS iridium 6.2 comps + Hybrid-Audio L3's + 4 Tang Band W6-1139SI's

to come:
    JBL MS-8 + center channel speaker + components for the rear + sirius adapter for stock HU

Liked
    67 times
    Images

My buddy's wife has 3 cats, 1 doesn't seem to learn it shouldn't be on the couch, and he wanted to buy an airsoft pistol to shoot it. She got mad, said if a gun enters the house, she leaves. He said "That's fine, as long as you take the damn cats with you" I had to resist the urge to laugh.

I told him about the mouse trap idea, with a twist, I told him to set it with a piece of string. The cats touch the string, the trap goes off, and it simply scares the crap out of them.
    I don't have a penis...anymore

Liked
    806 times
    Images

I really could never do that to ANY of my pets. I can't believe a breeder would even recommend it.
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Liked
    67 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    I really could never do that to ANY of my pets. I can't believe a breeder would even recommend it.
    With you dog, the sound of the snap would give her a heart attack.

Liked
    806 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hickleberry View Post
    With you dog, the sound of the snap would give her a heart attack.
    Not so sure she could even hear the snap
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Well, the breeder has been breeding for almost 50 years and has won every award/dog show under the sun multiple times.

I'd put money on it saying that she is one of hte top breeders in teh country for this breed of dog.

As for the mousetraps, I probably won't use 'em. I did read online that putting 'em upside down gets the same effect (snapping, but no damage). If I wer to use 'em, I"d just do that.

-rockstate

Liked
    19 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockstate45 View Post
    Well, the breeder has been breeding for almost 50 years and has won every award/dog show under the sun multiple times.

I'd put money on it saying that she is one of hte top breeders in teh country for this breed of dog.

As for the mousetraps, I probably won't use 'em. I did read online that putting 'em upside down gets the same effect (snapping, but no damage). If I wer to use 'em, I"d just do that.

-rockstate
    AWARDS are useless those circle of people are sooooo clickesh...all you have to do is smooze and go to the right shows and anyone can get a list of accolades,awards and trophies....just because you put a stud and ***** together and get some pups out and sell them to people doesn't mean you know a DAMN thing about training them!!!!! I know of a VERY well know breeder who won Westminster and studded out her dog ...apparently it had a dog version of STD and the breeder knew it...infected the ***** and she just told the customer if you can't take these risks gets out this same person studded out the Westminster winner and charged exhobitant fee for it...DNA tests came back and guess what...she didn't use the dog she promised(the westminster winner)!!!!....VERY IRRESPONSIBLE breeder...yet she won Westminster so she must know EVERYTHING right???
    Don't take people for granted no matter how many titles,awards, education they have....there is always someone who knows more and ALOT of "pretenders" out there....the dog breeding world is VERY fickle and everyone has their own methods they swear by....use you head and adopt the ones you think make sense...I believe there are times for negative reinforcement but NOT cruelty
    Pistol Pete
    "I don't want to change the world I just want to leave it colder"

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 (7844A), Phantom Grey Pearl, All weather guard package, fog lamps,keyless entry, 17" AA wheels, towing package, color-keyed overfenders, 4.1mm Limited Slip Diffy, Delux 3-in-1 JBL stereo, privacy glass, floor mats with sill protectors, bed extender

MODS- BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's (255/75R17), 17" KMC Venom 755 rims, Line-X, Retrax, Onki nerf boards (part #328078), Wade vent visors (part #88401) , TracRac (rail # OL-21609), Ultimate Fly Fishing Rod transporter, Spin Caster Rod holder in bed, Recon bedlights fully adjustable w/"nightvision", HitchSafe, Weathertech floor liners (part #46030-1&2, grey), debadged, visors destickered, rear window stop disabled, dynolock/PL8500 power tailgate lock, tailgate protector mod with detachable floormat, Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Air horn (300Hz), quick fist flashlight holder (all in photo gallery).....more custom suprises on the way!!

Liked
    67 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    ...just because you put a stud and ***** together and get some pups out and sell them to people doesn't mean you know a DAMN thing y
    Are we still talking about Guntech?

Liked
    2202 times
    Images

I don't like a lot of breeders. I did work for a lady who breeds shar peis(spell check) and for the entire week I was working there she had them in 4x6 cages. I assumed it was to keep them off me but the next door neighbor told me they never ever come out until it is time for a show. Sad, not the life for a dog, let alone 6 dogs. She also is getting into boston terriers, hope they can get the exercise they need. Glad to know I charged her 12k for her new sewer! I don't feel bad about it.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast