Pictures The five worst plastic army men of all time?
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The five worst plastic army men of all time?

Liked
    2942 times
    Images

Default The five worst plastic army men of all time?

The Five Worst Plastic Army Men Of All Time

Posted By: Peter Hartlaub

My wife brought the boys back from the playground the other day, and told me that our 5-year-old son had played with another kid who brought some plastic green army men. Excited that the family moratorium on guns had apparently been lifted, I went down to the basement and opened up the small black briefcase that contains all of my most awesome toys.

My son already has access to my toy trucks and Slinkys and Rubik's Cubes and other more boring toys from my childhood. The black box is filled with less politically correct toys, including army men, a team of die-cast metal bank robbers, some plastic Indians and a couple of cap guns. (My awesome toys also included some rolling papers and a pipe from my pre-college pot smoking days, although those will never be passed on. While I plan to teach both my sons how to drive a stick shift and shoot a free throw with proper mechanics, they'll have to figure out on their own how to roll a tight joint.)

I found about 40 army men inside, not including the ones that had been partially melted in a toaster oven. My son was excited, but I noticed that he quickly segregated the army men kneeling with rifles, standing with flamethrowers and holding their bayoneted weapons over their heads. The sucky ones -- we'll get to those in detail below -- ended up in a pile. More than 30 years after I played with these same army men, my son was equally bored by the mine sweeper and the guy talking on the giant telephone.

When I was a kid, I didn't question these things. But now I consider it one of the great mysteries of life: Why did toy manufacturers produce such a half-assed fake military force? It cost them exactly the same amount of money to make a cool guy kneeling next to a machine gun -- and yet there seemed to always be just one of those in the bag, and 20 guys marching in place.

Below are the five worst army men of all time:

5. The mine sweeper. Even as a kid, this army man reminded me of the old guys who used a metal detector to find spare change on the beach at Coyote Point. I realize that bomb detection units are more important than ever in the military but I never had any use for this soldier. All my other army men were locked in mortal combat, and this a**hole is looking for his car keys. I only have one mine sweeper left. I think most of them ended up getting a toaster oven court martial.

4. Marching infantry. Seriously, these guys are just asking to be shot. A large number of my remaining white German soldiers are marching in formation, presumably so the Indiana Jones villain in the hat on the right can point at the ground and order them into an ambush. (I know it's just a 2 1/2 inch tall piece of plastic, but can't you see Ralph Fiennes -- or maybe Guy Pierce -- playing him in the movie?) As a kid, I never had any question why the Germans lost World War II. Apparently, they never bothered to pull their guns off their backs.

3. The radio operator. Considering that I had multiple army men wielding flame throwers and machine guns, you'll have to excuse me for not getting excited about the guy making a phone call, on what appeared to be a toddler's Fisher Price Little Chatter Telephone. I didn't see "Platoon" until a full decade later, so I had no idea that the radio army man might be doing something cool like calling in a napalm strike. I always figured he was ordering a pizza.

2. The dead guys. I've always wondered if these dead military personnel were included as some kind of anti-war message to kids. Maybe the liberal foreman in the army man manufacturing facility insisted on throwing one dead army man in each package to show that indeed, war was stupid. If an army man plant ever moved to San Francisco, I'm guessing that all you would get is a bag of dead army men. And the Board of Supervisors would introduce a resolution requiring any toy manufacturers doing business in the city to include an equal number of picket-wielding anti-war protesters in the package.

1. The WTF? I'm not even sure what the hell this guy is doing. Catching a fish? Setting up some bowling pins? Changing the batteries on a sex toy? I'm guessing someone will tell us he's loading some kind of Korean War-era artillery device, like the one that took out Sgt. Hulka in "Stripes." But with no artillery in my black box, he just looks like he's trying to get a Section 8. In any case, my son and I both gave him a dishonorable discharge. Worst army man ever.

PETER HARTLAUB is the pop culture critic at the San Francisco Chronicle and founder of this parenting blog, which admittedly sometimes has nothing to do with parenting.

Last edited by Remmy700P; 05-01-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Default Re: The five worst plastic army men of all time?

haha man, i wish i could give you some points for this thread. it surely did not disappoint.

-rockstate

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    368 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post

I think he's burning calories and toning his upper body using the "shake weight". (as seen on TV)

Liked
    615 times
    Images

This made my day Duff. I remember just as you. It's funny OT sh*t like this that keeps me checking in. Too bad the OT detractors don't take the time to poke around here. Anyway, I digress, Sgt Saunders would be proud of you.
    2006 Tundra StepSide
    2010 Honda CR-V
    2000 Isuzu Trooper

Red Adair- "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I think you missed one and made it top 6 worst....great thread though LOL the guy with the binoculars....REMMY ELABORATE WHAT THIS GUY WAS FOR!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled21323123.JPG 
Views:	1256 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	50963  
    Originally Posted by jbkusa
    What the heck are we talking about!

Liked
    806 times
    Images

I think he is throwing a grenade. When my Son was 6 years old, I bought a small set of those Army men. He used them as targets for his BB gun ........
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Liked
    69 times
    Images

All of these Army men are very necessary. When your friend shows up to play, you give him the crappy Army men, and your guys with guns win the battle every time.

I was often given the radio operator, I'd just chew on the antenna, then the kid would always want it back because I was wrecking it.
    I don't have a penis...anymore

Liked
    2942 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by krewitup13 View Post
    I think you missed one and made it top 6 worst....great thread though LOL the guy with the binoculars....REMMY ELABORATE WHAT THIS GUY WAS FOR!!!!
    I can only assume that he's the 'Mine Hunter #2'. He is the other half of the mine-hunting team. He's apparently nearsighted, so he needs the binoculers to see the mines 6' in front of him.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    2479 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hickleberry View Post
    All of these Army men are very necessary. When your friend shows up to play, you give him the crappy Army men, and your guys with guns win the battle every time.

I was often given the radio operator, I'd just chew on the antenna, then the kid would always want it back because I was wrecking it.
    Even as a child, it is clear you were destined for the OT gang!

Great post Remmy! I laughed so hard I might have grown stronger abs! We need more like this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    615 times
    Images

Starring Vic Morrow as Sgt Saunders (carried the Thompson). Kirby had the BAR.

2006 Tundra StepSide
    2010 Honda CR-V
    2000 Isuzu Trooper

Red Adair- "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    I can only assume that he's the 'Mine Hunter #2'. He is the other half of the mine-hunting team. He's apparently nearsighted, so he needs the binoculers to see the mines 6' in front of him.
    LOL thats funny
    Originally Posted by jbkusa
    What the heck are we talking about!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by krewitup13 View Post
    He forgot his Army issued Nookular Blast goggles, he is shielding his eyes from the A-bomb!
    07 DC TRD 5.7 Slate Metallic/
    Alpine CDA 9886-ED Nine4-Polk db650's/Alpine MRP-M650- RF 12" d4vc shallow sub/
    Lund Interceptor II/Shorty Chrome Bed Rails/Ranch Hand rear bumper/UWS lo-pro tool box

Liked
    3 times
    Images

I was often given the radio operator, I'd just chew on the antenna,

Well, well, that explains a lot????? Do ya remember licking the lead paint chips off the wall also????

You got it Spencer!!!!! Great post!!!!! Guntech is right, it's a grenade. Or it could be one half of Suzanne Somers thigh master??? Maybe???

Liked
    47 times

I don't need to hear about you chewing on another man's antenna.
    "I'm not stupid; I'm big boned!"- Woody

CBTMA Member

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

I was often given the radio operator, I'd just chew on the antenna

Hopefully the transmitter was not operating at the time. You may experience dental issues later on.

Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast