I need help naming a puppy - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: I need help naming a puppy

Liked
    14 times
    Images

I just read your original post and as she's going to be your bird dog us probably go with remmy or brownie based based on what you shoot

Sent from my VS910 4G using AutoGuide.com App
    guntech likes this.
    07 SR5 5.7 Dbl Cab Tundra
    Debadged, Gianna Blitz 22's black w/Chrome inserts, Bakflip G2
    (Blizzak's on my stock rims for the winter)
    Road Armor bumpers front and rear
    Code Alarm Remote Start
    Volant Powercore CAI
    CORSA Sport Exhaust
    Is there any color other than black?

GATORS BIOTCH!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

gone fishn, Mullet over DanMittaul's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Images

Default Re: I need help naming a puppy

Ahh, new love : ) More than likely it will hit you when you meet her, however...

I've always liked two syllables, along with a hard or sharp sound to start the name, to get their attention, and a soft ie or y to finish/praise.

Goldie
    Sherry
    Cheeky
    Rubie
    Katie
    Chiefy
    Lady

Or you could play off of your favorite sports team, color, drink, buy the SI swimsuit issue... just thinking out loud.

Or maybe follow Steve Martins lead in "The Jerk" and name her...

LifeSaver
    guntech likes this.

Liked
    548 times
    Images

I got it! I got it! I got it! You will name the dog Sirius. (Sir-E-Us). Of course that’s too difficult to say so her common name will be Major. Or, Star, if you prefer. Sirius, as everyone knows, is the brightest star in the sky(Or Skye,one of your heavenly names for the dog). Sirius is the companion of Orion, The Hunter. For much of the year these two constellations are visible. Hopefully Star or Major (Canis Major) will have a long, healthy life before passing on to doggie heaven. At that time, you will always have a symbol in the night sky for your faithful companion. You can just look up and see her bright, shining star with fond memories. You’ll even have something visible to talk to. Come on, don’t anybody tell me you don’t think about a deceased dad or mom you think about and talk to. It just makes you feel better remembering those you loved. Works for old dogs too. I even had a Labrador puppy that died and I try to remember him as much as all the other dogs I’ve been lucky enough to have. Anyway, just a thought.
    guntech likes this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. Added some pics from Ireland trip to Photobucket link. 2005 reg.cab long bed. A/C, 5 sp auto, cold weather pkg. V8, 4WD, LSD, Desert Sand. LT245-75-16 Firestone Destination AT . ExtangTrifectatonneau. Rugged Liner bedliner, Lund vent visors. Classic Accessories back seat gun case, rear breather mod., Tom Tom 550XXL. Clean Breaze rear sliding window screen. Deer head antennae topper. Willie Robinson bobble head, coon tail on whip antennae, curb feelers, rocks in the hub caps, Rebel Flag on roof.
    http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Gatorman76_photos/?

Liked
    803 times
    Images

I could put Sirius on her AKC papers, but call her Skye or Star. Food for thought. That was pretty well thought out - Thanx!
    Last edited by guntech; 02-23-2012 at 07:18 AM.
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Liked
    477 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman76 View Post
    You will name the dog Sirius.
    I like XM better.
    guntech likes this.
    Ride: 2001 Tundra SR5, 4WD, The Lean Mean Green Machine, Lift, Front: Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks w/ Total Chaos Diff Drop, Lift, Rear: 1" Wheeler's Blocks, Wheels: Chromed Factory 4Runner Rims, 17", Tires: Bridgestone Revos, 285/70R-17, Performance: Unichip, JBA Titanium Ceramic Headers, Borla Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Optima Yellow-top Battery, "Powered by Decals" decal, Flux Capacitor, Brakes: Upgrade to 2004 Calipers, EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Interior: Dog Hair on Back Seat, Coffee Stains on Console, Bling: Ivan Stewart TRD Grille, Westin Nerf Bars, Clear Corners & Eurotails, Debadged, Audio: Kenwood DDX512 Head Unit, Kenwood KCA-XM100V Satellite Radio Interface, Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth Interface, Polk Audio db6501 component speakers (Front), Polk Audio db651s speakers (Rear), Profile AP740 4-channel amplifier, Rockford Fosgate 8” Punch subwoofer (x 2) in Q-Logic enclosure, Profile AP700M mono subwoofer amplifier, Audiovox ACA200W Rear-view camera, Shark Fin Antenna, Other: BedRug, Viair 450C compressor, 2.5 Gallon air tank, Kleinn Pro Series 4-Trumpet air horns, Eye Candy: Hottie Wife in Passenger Seat, Security System: One very large Collie and a High-Energy Shetland Sheepdog who isn't that big, but makes up for it in Tenacity.

Liked
    548 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Dog View Post
    I like XM better.
    I don't get it.

I only get AM & FM.
    guntech likes this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. Added some pics from Ireland trip to Photobucket link. 2005 reg.cab long bed. A/C, 5 sp auto, cold weather pkg. V8, 4WD, LSD, Desert Sand. LT245-75-16 Firestone Destination AT . ExtangTrifectatonneau. Rugged Liner bedliner, Lund vent visors. Classic Accessories back seat gun case, rear breather mod., Tom Tom 550XXL. Clean Breaze rear sliding window screen. Deer head antennae topper. Willie Robinson bobble head, coon tail on whip antennae, curb feelers, rocks in the hub caps, Rebel Flag on roof.
    http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Gatorman76_photos/?

Liked
    803 times
    Images

I'm a CD kind of guy myself.
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Liked
    803 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman76 View Post
    I got it! I got it! I got it! You will name the dog Sirius. (Sir-E-Us). Of course that’s too difficult to say so her common name will be Major. Or, Star, if you prefer. Sirius, as everyone knows, is the brightest star in the sky(Or Skye,one of your heavenly names for the dog). Sirius is the companion of Orion, The Hunter. For much of the year these two constellations are visible. Hopefully Star or Major (Canis Major) will have a long, healthy life before passing on to doggie heaven. At that time, you will always have a symbol in the night sky for your faithful companion. You can just look up and see her bright, shining star with fond memories. You’ll even have something visible to talk to. Come on, don’t anybody tell me you don’t think about a deceased dad or mom you think about and talk to. It just makes you feel better remembering those you loved. Works for old dogs too. I even had a Labrador puppy that died and I try to remember him as much as all the other dogs I’ve been lucky enough to have. Anyway, just a thought.
    My Son liked this. We may register her as Lankas Labs Sirius, but call her Star. She is due to be born on 3/18, so I still have time!
    Gatorman76 likes this.

Liked
    124 times

Sometimes, dogs tend to name themselves, either by their physical appearance or by their actions -- or both.

We adopted a female husky mix named Missy. Besides being very quick on her feet, she has made it over our 6' cedar board fence several times. I began calling her Twinkletoes. Or, sometimes, Dammit.
    Gatorman76 and guntech like this.

Liked
    477 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    My Son liked this. We may register her as Lankas Labs Sirius, but call her Star. She is due to be born on 3/18, so I still have time!
    Like it. I assume the breeder/kennel is named Lankas?
    guntech likes this.
    Ride: 2001 Tundra SR5, 4WD, The Lean Mean Green Machine, Lift, Front: Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks w/ Total Chaos Diff Drop, Lift, Rear: 1" Wheeler's Blocks, Wheels: Chromed Factory 4Runner Rims, 17", Tires: Bridgestone Revos, 285/70R-17, Performance: Unichip, JBA Titanium Ceramic Headers, Borla Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Optima Yellow-top Battery, "Powered by Decals" decal, Flux Capacitor, Brakes: Upgrade to 2004 Calipers, EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Interior: Dog Hair on Back Seat, Coffee Stains on Console, Bling: Ivan Stewart TRD Grille, Westin Nerf Bars, Clear Corners & Eurotails, Debadged, Audio: Kenwood DDX512 Head Unit, Kenwood KCA-XM100V Satellite Radio Interface, Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth Interface, Polk Audio db6501 component speakers (Front), Polk Audio db651s speakers (Rear), Profile AP740 4-channel amplifier, Rockford Fosgate 8” Punch subwoofer (x 2) in Q-Logic enclosure, Profile AP700M mono subwoofer amplifier, Audiovox ACA200W Rear-view camera, Shark Fin Antenna, Other: BedRug, Viair 450C compressor, 2.5 Gallon air tank, Kleinn Pro Series 4-Trumpet air horns, Eye Candy: Hottie Wife in Passenger Seat, Security System: One very large Collie and a High-Energy Shetland Sheepdog who isn't that big, but makes up for it in Tenacity.

Liked
    1986 times
    Images

Lots of good ideas here, I was avoiding this thread just because I miss my dog.

I agree with Spicer, it's usually watching the dog for a few days that conjures up names. That's how Rascal was named. I also like the idea of letting the breeder know so she can give you a head start on the dog responding to their name.

Too bad it isn't a boy dog, I'd say go Salty. I like Sirius, maybe Sirry for short.
    Gatorman76 likes this.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Liked
    803 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Dog View Post
    Like it. I assume the breeder/kennel is named Lankas?
    Yes, that's the breeder's name. I believe the registered name has to start with Lankas Labs as part of the deal.

Liked
    477 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    Yes, that's the breeder's name. I believe the registered name has to start with Lankas Labs as part of the deal.
    That is correct if the dog is from a registered breeder and the parents are registered.

Our Sheltie is formally named Carousel's Shannon-on-the-Green. (Shannon, for short). She was born at Carousel Kennels in northern Virginia. Now my collie is a little different. Since he was a rescue adoption, I don't know his pedigree so I took some license with his name. Officially he is NoVa's Black Tie Boot Scootin' Boogie (Scooter). "NoVa" is short for Northern Virginia; which is the general area where I assume he was born.

The AKC has this thing called a PAL registry which stands for Pedigree Alternative Listing. This is for purebred dogs where you don't know their ancestry (such as rescue adoption) or when the parents are not registered. A PAL registry will allow the dog to compete in AKC sanctioned events and trials. My collie has a PAL registration.
    guntech likes this.

Liked
    803 times
    Images

Both the Sire and Dame of my soon to be puppy have a LONG list of pedigrees and honors. Blaze was the same way, but we were not required to use the breeder's name. We used her Mother's and Father's name. Her name was Blaze May Keaton on the registry and we called her Blaze. Most of the Pointing Lab breeders that I have looked into, do require it though.

Liked
    803 times
    Images

OK, so I have made the decision on what to name our new puppy. Phil and I loved the idea that Gatorman76 posted.

We will name the dog Sirius. (Sir-E-Us). Of course that’s too difficult to say so her common name will be Major or, Star. Sirius is the brightest star in the sky. Sirius is the companion of Orion, The Hunter. For much of the year these two constellations are visible. Hopefully Star or Major (Canis Major) will have a long, healthy life before passing on to doggie heaven. At that time, we will always have a symbol in the night sky for our faithful companion. We can just look up and see her bright, shining star with fond memories. We'll even have something visible to talk to. It just makes you feel better remembering those you loved. Since Major fits a male and Star fits a female, we will name her “Lankas Labs Sirius” on her registry, and call her Star.
    She is due to be born on March 18th. I have 1st or 2nd pick of an Ivory female. If the litter does NOT have an Ivory Female, there will be another litter born a few days later. I decided against a Chocolate for several reasons. 1) I have heard from several people that they are more hyper than the Blacks or Yellows. 2) They are harder to see in the brush. Since she will be a "pointing" Lab it's important to see what she's doing. 3) It will be harder to see her when she is out back "doing her business" at night.
    I've seen a LOT of Yellows out there. In fact there are 3-4 of them that hunt in my club alone. The Ivory Labs are brighter (so easier to see) and not as common. They are also pretty Labs. The Labs that they breed as "Pointing" labs are bread from the American lab (as opposed to the British Lab). Their legs are a little longer and their heads aren't as broad and "blocky". I can't wait to welcome her into our family and start working with her.........

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast