Guns & Ammo (Not the magazine) PART 2
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums Ė General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 53 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Guns & Ammo (Not the magazine) PART 2

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Best 40 Cal. Compact gun 7.5" or smaller

I'm looking for a good 40 Cal. gun to 1.) carry in my truck & 2.) that has good lasting quality, stopping power, and a safety.

I'm an average gun aficionado worried about an increase in car-jackings in our area. Of course, I'm not going to go gun-ho on people I just want a little extra security and another caliber other than my 9MM.

I have a Glock 19 and a Ruger KP89 9MM. Both are good except the Ruger's trigger is a little harder on the squeeze than my Glock. I'll probably take it to the gunsmith to work on.

I've heard good things about the 40's stopping power and have yet needed, and God willing will stay that way, to use my guns @ home or in my ride.

All comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

BT-22

I was looking at this model: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProd...=3425&return=Y
    MODS:
    20"Enkei Wheels--Red Top Optima Bat--LineX Bedliner

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Bond, James Bond...

Go with the Walther P99C (Compact) brand new for 2004! It's in their 2004 catalog but not on their website yet. I can't wait! 10 rounds in a compact, very cool! The choice of 007, of course!

Here's a link to P99 info:

http://www.waltheramerica.com/p99_specs.htm

Here is a better link to the German site with Compact information:

http://www.carl-walther.de/englisch/...fense-103.html

More info:

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/Walth...AQ/VIII/7.html

You have a choice of 3 trigger configurations that aren't well explained on the site - check a P99 out a local gunshop.

Enjoy!

Eells, Brad Eells
    Walther PPK/S-1

Tundrabrad
    Menifee CA

2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X2 - Stratosphere Mica

Factory Options/Accessories:
    Limited Slip Differential * RS3200 Security System * Towing Package * 17" Limited 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels * All Weather Floor Mats * First Aid Kit * Cargo Net * Wheel Locks * Aluminum Skid Plate * Auto Dimming Mirror * Fog Lights * Bed Extender

Mods/Additions:
    Sylvania SilverStars * RhinoLiner * OBX Fire Extinguisher * Westin Signature Nerf Bars * Bullring Retractable Tiedowns * Snuglid Tonneau Cover * Coleman 400 watt Power Inverter * Magnafine transmission filter * Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar * SuperPlug

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

If I were a potential car jacker and I found myself looking down the business end of any gun, I believe it would make me change my course if action .
    Either one of your 9's should prove effective in that situation, especially at such close range. If you found yourself having to draw a weapon, I'm thinking/hoping that the "visual" would be enough to deter them.
    If you're determined to get a 40, and I see you're already a Glock owner, the model 23 has always treated me right. It's my "American Express" card when I road trip, you know, "Don't leave home without it!"
    Dark charcoal gray CST leather, Wheeler's coils w/ HD Bilsteins, BFG 265/70/R17 A/Ts on 17x8 Boyd's, factory DVD RSE system, tinted windows, black OEM all-weather floor mats, BedBolts hooks in the center of the bed (dog anchors), an OEM rubber bed mat, VSE Subwoofer, K&N FIPK, JBA Titanium coated headers, Spintech 3333 Sportsman muffler..........so far.

Coming Soon: Line-X, maybe a billet grill.

Vehicles/Toys
    2005 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4 SR5
    2002 Toyota Epic S22 V-Drive Wakeboard Boat
    2002 Honda Accord V6
    1996 Harley Davidson FLSTN

Liked
    96 times
    Images

I can assure you that a 9mm has plenty of stopping power. You really donít have a need for more fire power, however, if you youíre looking for a new toy that you will hopefully never need a Walther would be my choice.

Personally, I stopped carrying when I left Viet Nam, but hey, thatís just me. I truly hope you never feel the need to drop the hammer. It ainít like the moviesÖ..trust me.
    Gatorman76 likes this.

Liked
    17 times

Oh yeah.
    Last edited by Lalo; 06-19-2012 at 08:37 AM.
    Gatorman76 likes this.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lalo
    I've been grazed by a 9mm across my back and that hurt like hell. I also caught some heat from a buckshot about 100 yards away and it lodged a few in my back, just flesh wounds though. I pray I never get shot at again. But ever since then I always carry. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry and it has never failed me. Become an ace marksman and it wont matter what you shoot them with.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty good with either 9MM. If I do get a 40 would it be easier to go back to the 9MM or is the recoil difference insignificant?
    MODS:

Liked
    17 times

Recoil doesnt effect a great shot as much as it does a rookie. I've always found Sig Sauer to be the easiest as far as recoil goes. But then I'm used to shooting snub nose Rugers with +P loads.
    I think Mausberg has what you need. Mount that bad boy to you dash and they wont think twice.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

The thing I like about the 9's is that they are hi-cap as opposed to the 40's with max of 10+1.

I know accuracy is important and that with either gun a one time hit is better than the ability for multiple hits.

For practical purposes the 9 is less expensive in ammo and the high cap ability is better for practice.
    MODS:

Liked
    17 times

true, true. I wish CA laws werent so strict.
    It gets very expensive to practice target shooting with a .40 or a .45 even with reloads.
    You ever been skeet or trap shooting? Lotsa fun helps with your aim too. with a rifle anyway.
    Sad my Mom shoots trap better than I do, sh*t she even owns more guns than I do.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lalo
    true, true. I wish CA laws werent so strict.
    It gets very expensive to practice target shooting with a .40 or a .45 even with reloads.
    You ever been skeet or trap shooting? Lotsa fun helps with your aim too. with a rifle anyway.
    Sad my Mom shoots trap better than I do, sh*t she even owns more guns than I do.

Of course, I would imagine that the 40 will not be fired much so expense will hopefully not be a problem. And if as you mention recoil is not a problem then going from one to the other and aim hopefully will not be a problem.

My concern is being used to the 9MM that the move to the 40 might throw me off.

No, I've done no skeet or trap shooting. So, your mom is way better than I am. That's one mom you don't want to mess with.

I still get amused at how old timers and some hard core 40 cal peeps down play the effectiveness of the 9MM over the 40.

I heard this oldtimer tell a soldier back from Iraq that their army issue 9's were toys.
    MODS:

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by BT-22
    I heard this oldtimer tell a soldier back from Iraq that their army issue 9's were toys.
    I heard some of the Special Forces boys in Iraq dug out some Colt .45's because the Beretta wasn't getting the job done...

I figured if I could get a larger caliber in the same package, that it would be a good thing. My buddies will stop giving me a hard time about my .380 'popgun'. A .40 S&W is cop round - for real men, right?

Brad

Tundrabrad
    Menifee CA

2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X2 - Stratosphere Mica

Factory Options/Accessories:
    Limited Slip Differential * RS3200 Security System * Towing Package * 17" Limited 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels * All Weather Floor Mats * First Aid Kit * Cargo Net * Wheel Locks * Aluminum Skid Plate * Auto Dimming Mirror * Fog Lights * Bed Extender

Mods/Additions:
    Sylvania SilverStars * RhinoLiner * OBX Fire Extinguisher * Westin Signature Nerf Bars * Bullring Retractable Tiedowns * Snuglid Tonneau Cover * Coleman 400 watt Power Inverter * Magnafine transmission filter * Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar * SuperPlug

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabrad
    A .40 S&W is cop round - for real men, right?
    Brad
    That's what I hear too! But my 9MM seems to be a pretty good gun if I need to put someone down.

Maybe not, who knows.
    MODS:

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by tundrafire
    If you're determined to get a 40, and I see you're already a Glock owner, the model 23 has always treated me right. It's my "American Express" card when I road trip, you know, "Don't leave home without it!"
    I agree with tundrafire. I can carry either the 22 (I do) or the slightly smaller 23. "In practice, so shall you use" If you have been familiar with the Glock, keep it, if you ever need to use it, it will be like second nature to you.

Liked
    6 times

So far everyone else has made good points. I'll add my 2 cents, I didn't see anyone mention how the gun fits! I carry the Glock 22 which is the large frame 40. The 23 is a small gun I did not like how it felt my hand. I have small to medium sized hands and it felt like I could hardly hang on to it.

So my advice is to check out a couple of brands and shoot them to get a feel.
    2002 SR5 AccessCab 4x4 TRD
    Performance: Borla cat-back, K&N FIPK, Magnetic oil plug, 265/75/16 BFG AT, 16" Rage wheels, Tow package,TRD AAL

Appearance: Molly IS Grille, Sportmaster Tonnau, Clear corner and tail lights, IS mirror covers, Color keyed tailgate handle, Debadged, Window tint, VIN etched glass, Bugdeflector, Ventshades, Stepsheilds,Window Latch upgrade

System: Sony headunit,Sirius s50, 200w Kenwood amp, 10" Bazooka, Sony 10-disc, Infinity 6.5" speakers.

Still sitting in my basement: Cornfed spacers

2000 4RunnerSR5 4x4, Pro Comp stainless step bars, TRD drop in, Ventvisors and deflector.

2006 Kegerator stocked with SAM Adams Summer Ale

Liked
    1 times

You already have a Ruger, so why not get one of their P944 series? If you are going to be carrying it in your truck, are you going to keep it there? If you are then I would get the cheapest (inexpensive) most reliable gun I could get and you can not beat Ruger for cheap and reliable. Your location is Texas, you should be able to find a gunshow close to your location and you should be able to find one for under $400, matter of fact there is one on Auctionarms.com currently setting @$325. All of this is just my $.02.
    "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."

(Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Page 1 of 53 12345611 ... LastLast