Toyota Tundra Forums banner

has anyone used Carsdirect.com?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  rambrush 
#1 ·
They have 2006 Tundra v8 listed for $19,188 + options

#2 ·
Ok, this is what I did when I bought my Tundra. Carsdirect.com is actually VERY usefull, but I've never actually bought a car through them. Just go through the Carsdirect.com website and click everything you want to the point where it gives you a price for the Tundra you want with the options you want. Print that bad boy out and either fax it or email it to the INTERNET department (also called fleet department) of your local Toyota dealership. Don't even bother driving down and talking to a sales monkey, they will just try to pull you into an office. Just play cool and do everything over the phone/email and say look, I'd rather give my business to you locally, can you beat this deal? I had the advantage of doing this to about 6 dealers locally (Bay Area, CA) and I ended up getting my truck for $1000 under invoice. That's right, over $4000 under MSRP.....with 0 percent interest for 5 years. Ended up beating carsdirect.com price by about $1500 bux. I guarantee they will at least match the price. Just stick to the internet department and you won't have to pay the commission of the sales guy so they have more "commision" money to play with. Just my two cents. Cheers.

#3 ·
My last purchase was through CarsDirect - it takes all of the brain damage out of the process. I highly recommend it.

Before I hooked up with CarsDirect I went to a local dealership where a friend worked. I didn't expect that he would be able to negotiate the deal of the century for me but I thought that I would at least be treated with respect. Not so.

CarsDirect brought me a decent deal, treated me fairly and even told me the total price, out the door right down to the last penny. There were NO unexpected expenses or pressure to buy anything else.

They didn't even flinch when I asked to post date a check for the last $10k of my cash purchase for TEN DAYS!!

:tu: :tu:

#4 ·
I bought mine through carsdirect.com and would do it again in a heartbeat. Never never again will I be buying through a pushy salesman!

#5 ·
I bought my 02 Tundra and my brother bought his 06 Tundra through Carsdirect. I tried going through my local dealers, but they swore they couldn't get the truck I wanted. Filled out the Carsdirect info on their website and was called the next day. They had located the truck and the price was exactly as advertised. I spent a total of 15 minutes at the participating dealership. Went in, inspected the truck, signed the papers and left.

I might try going through fleet or internet sales with the locals using the Carsdirect price next time, but my truck only has 102,000 miles on it, so it will probably be several years from now.

Rob

#6 ·
I just purchased a Chevy (sorry but I needed a dually) that CarsDirect listed as having a target price of 39,500. They initially priced it around 38,400 I offered them 37,000, they came back with 37,900, I got up to leave saying I would be just as happy with the Dodge down the street for 37,000 and they said deal. That was 2,500 under the CarsDirect target price. I haven't actually used their buying service, I am not saying it isn't a good one there is some very good information on their site, I am only relating my experience. The dealers always like to talk invoice and I just say that really dosen't mean anything to me I don't know how your business works that the only thing that matters is what I can buy something else for. PS They asked if I would be trading my 06 DC sitting outside and I said that some things were nonnegotiable.

#7 ·
I used carsdirect.com to get pricing info and to have dealers contact me. One contacted me and emailed me a deal for $1200 below invoice. I walked into a local dealer with that number and tried to get the same deal. I ended up leaving that day and surprise, surprise, they called me the next day and said they could meet my price (about $1000 below invoice). So for about a half days work plus a couple of nights studying the numbers, I beat the carsdirect price by around $1500. Of course, the dealer got some of that back when I bought the alarm (probably about $150).

Bottom line is carsdirect gives you the info you need so you can walk into the dealer with confidence. This is my first new car and my first new car buying experience. I felt that I did all right. And I'll admit, it was a little fun. If you don't want to hassle or can't stand talking to car salemen, buy through carsdirect.

#8 ·
Use carsdirect to get a price and make sure you delete the toyoguard option that is automtically selected for you. Then as was said before use this price as your leverage.

#9 ·
I still say walking in the dealership signing the papers getting in the vehicle and leaving.

Is so much easier than dealing with anyone in sales, not worth the headache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.