Garage door keeps opening back up!
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Garage door keeps opening back up!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    60 times

Default Garage door keeps opening back up!

When I hit the button to close my garage door it closes completly then opens back up. I usually have to close it two or three times before it will stop reversing itself. Anyone have any ideas on what I should check out?
    Ray Kane
    If you don't try, nothing happens

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Garage door keeps opening back up!

it might be pushing on the ground too hard and thinks it is hitting something and is going back up. there should be an adjustment to make it not go down so far/hard. the other thing that i have seen was on a garage door with insulation on it and the insulation was sticking out a little bit and when the door would close it would break the laser beam that senses if anything is under the door.

just a couple ideas to look at
    hope it helps

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    454 times

There are typically two adjustments that govern the closing of the door. One is how far the traveler on the opener moves. If it's trying to move too far, it'll try to close the door beyond the point where it's completely closed. Then the second adjustment comes into play, which detects that the door has hit an obstruction.

Step one is to adjust the first adjustment so the door closes completely, but not more than "completely". Likely that will cure the problem, because the second adjustment can't come into play without an obstruction under the door unless the first adjustment is off.

Step two is to adjust the second adjustment if it needs it. Place a piece of 2x4 on the floor under the door and close the door on it. The door should reverse when it hits the wood, and you can adjust it so that it does.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    60 times

Makes sense
    Where do I find these adjustments? Any tricks to make the job easier?
    Ray Kane

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    454 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kane
    Makes sense
    It depends on the brand of opener.

Chamberlain openers have the adjustments up on the drive unit, generally travel limit adjustments on the side and force adjustments on the rear. All it takes is a screwdriver. Chamberlain makes openers for Sears, Raynor, Liftmaster, Master Mechanic, and others.

Genie openers have the force adjustments on the drive unit and the travel limit adjustments on the rail.

You might find manuals to download at

Liked
    0 times

Also check your electric eye beam. If it isn't lined up correctly the door will not stay shut because it thinks that something is tripping it.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bamataco1
    Also check your electric eye beam. If it isn't lined up correctly the door will not stay shut because it thinks that something is tripping it.
    When this is the problem, you won't be able to close the door at all. It will open up almost as soon as it starts down.

Alan

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Makes sense
    Garage doors are frustrating! My adjustment for the door is on the rail.... it's looks like a little tab that the screw drive hits to let the engine know when to stop. Easy to adjust if that's the case. Just move the tab closer to the unit
    Jerm

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    454 times

Quote Originally Posted by germster1
    Garage doors are frustrating! My adjustment for the door is on the rail.... it's looks like a little tab that the screw drive hits to let the engine know when to stop. Easy to adjust if that's the case. Just move the tab closer to the unit
    Nah, they smell and look like gold. Installing and servicing garage doors and openers is my brother's business. It's easy once you've learned how it's done.

Liked
    0 times

tell your wife or son, stop playing with the other remote inside the house. dont mess with you, its not funny.
    MODS: (TRD Urban package) - tint, stereo, jack-in-the box antennae ball, and my middle finger.

~ been there, done that, got the panties ~

Veteran Member
    Liked
    60 times

I wish it were that simple
    Ray Kane

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    454 times

I wish it were that simple
    You could simply call a pro. Ask for references from friends and co-workers and you'll likely find a recommendation from someone who was pleased with the work. A "tune-up" service call is fairly cheap, and I think that's all you need.

Liked
    0 times

Sometimes the change in temperature will affect the closing of my garage door. According to the manual that came with it , it is a normal thing. Mine is a Sears model.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Post some pics of the controls (might be under a light cover on each side or on top) so we can see what you have.
    2004 Toyota Tundra V6 Reg Cab 2wd Auto (Phantom Gray)

Options - Tilt wheel, Intermittent Wipers, AC, Mudflaps, Cold weather package, Bed liner (removed), Carpet floor mats, Trailer hitch receiver, Door sill protectors

Mods - Cruise Control w/factory dash indicator, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, Chromatic Mirror w/Temp & Compass, Phantom Gray Door Edge Guards, PT Industries Raptor SS Nerf for Access Cab, Fog Lights w/Factory Head Lamp Switch; Great Covers velour seat cover, 2004 Reg Base Cab Cargo Light Mod (use factory switch, no light when door opened), 2004 Reg Base Cab Auto Headlight Off Disabled Mod (lights stay on when door opened); SR5 Chrome Wheel Arch Moldings; Chrome power & heated side mirrors w/factory heat switch;Burlwood control faceplate & door switch panels; Overhead console w/garage opener & Luxeon Star LEDs; Alpex #244 Chrome dual air horns - 118db - 405Hz/450Hz - 15A; Horn baffle removal mod; Rostra Radar Backup Sensors;Pilot PL-250 Backup 55w Lights; H4 Osram Silverstar Headlights; Enkei Brawn II alloys; 245/70/16 Revos; Power Outlet Mod; Ltd Visors w/lights; RainTracker rain sensor; Factory power windows; Manik tail light SS guards #925659SP; Power door locks (DEI relay module 451M); ATS grill;ARE MX camper shell (full side screens & w/o vista window); CompuStar 2W900FM(S) Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Ignition Auto Lock;Bed Carpet Kit w/Couch & Storage Boxes; Pop&Lock PL8500 Pwr Tailgate Lock; WeatherTech Mats, TRD LSD

LinkBacks (?)