Anyone with well water? Pressure tanks and sensor questions
  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Anyone with well water? Pressure tanks and sensor questions

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Anyone with well water? Pressure tanks and sensor questions

I guess this is my Memorial Day project LOL. I'm hoping the bladder in the tank isn't damaged and just needs a water draining and pressurizing.

Did some quick searching through google,do these directions sound correct?
    1)Disconnect power @ pressure switch (already found the requisite cutoff switch in the circuit).
    2)Drain water out of pressure tank (thankfully previous homeowner already ran a drain hose to the sump)
    3)Fill pressure tank through schrader valve. I'll also replace the valve core (same thing as a tire valve). I haven't found yet exactly how much pressure I should add. Isn't it a few PSI more than the pressure switch turn-on pressure?

At what pressure is your pressure switch turn-on/cutoff set at?
    Ever had a pressure switch go bad? Mine didn't work last night,took the plastic cover off and it suddenly worked There were dust bunnies all over it,maybe it was just that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    20 times
    Images

Default Re: Anyone with well water? Pressure tanks and sensor questions

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I guess this is my Memorial Day project LOL. I'm hoping the bladder in the tank isn't damaged and just needs a water draining and pressurizing.

Did some quick searching through google,do these directions sound correct?
    1)Disconnect power @ pressure switch (already found the requisite cutoff switch in the circuit).
    2)Drain water out of pressure tank (thankfully previous homeowner already ran a drain hose to the sump)
    3)Fill pressure tank through schrader valve. I'll also replace the valve core (same thing as a tire valve). I haven't found yet exactly how much pressure I should add. Isn't it a few PSI more than the pressure switch turn-on pressure?

At what pressure is your pressure switch turn-on/cutoff set at?
    Ever had a pressure switch go bad? Mine didn't work last night,took the plastic cover off and it suddenly worked There were dust bunnies all over it,maybe it was just that.
    Eddie,

I'm out here in Hunterdon County and have a well/pressure tank system...I had to work on mine a few years back...even replaced the old small tank with a larger one to save the pump...to answer your questions....my pressure limit switch is set at 30psi/50psi....the standards are 30/50 and 40/60.....some can NOT be changed and you buy the appropriate one....as for the tank...I got a 60 gal tank (originally only had 20gal?)....anyways...the pressure required in the empty tank I believe is 28psi which is just BELOW the 30psi low limit pressure. The other thing to check is the way in which it measures the pressure....my pressure switch is mounted to the Jet pump and thus there is a small water line running from the pump to the pressure switch....due to my hard water this over time gets clogged and thus doesn't read pressure properly....(you can tell in my case because when the tank empties the switch still thinks there is pressure and the water shuts off (because there's none left) for about a second then the back pressure on the other side of the clog releases and pressure to the switch drops and the pumps kicks in.....so check to make sure the line to the pressure switch is free and clear. Also not sure if you have a submerged well pump or like me a Jet pump mounted on top or near the tank but mine is real easy to shut off since there is a power switch right on the wall next to the pump.

Just a hint I found when doing all my work too...if you are going to have the pump off and tank drained...check all your plumbing and shut off valves and make sure you ahve enough so that you can isolate all the components pump,tank,water filters,water treatment tanks etc.....

I'll post a pic of my system tonight when I get home.

Hope all goes well (no pun intended!)
    Pistol Pete
    "I don't want to change the world I just want to leave it colder"

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 (7844A), Phantom Grey Pearl, All weather guard package, fog lamps,keyless entry, 17" AA wheels, towing package, color-keyed overfenders, 4.1mm Limited Slip Diffy, Delux 3-in-1 JBL stereo, privacy glass, floor mats with sill protectors, bed extender

MODS- BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's (255/75R17), 17" KMC Venom 755 rims, Line-X, Retrax, Onki nerf boards (part #328078), Wade vent visors (part #88401) , TracRac (rail # OL-21609), Ultimate Fly Fishing Rod transporter, Spin Caster Rod holder in bed, Recon bedlights fully adjustable w/"nightvision", HitchSafe, Weathertech floor liners (part #46030-1&2, grey), debadged, visors destickered, rear window stop disabled, dynolock/PL8500 power tailgate lock, tailgate protector mod with detachable floormat, Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Air horn (300Hz), quick fist flashlight holder (all in photo gallery).....more custom suprises on the way!!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Anyone with well water? Pressure tanks and sensor questions

Looks like the re-pressurizing did it

I don't think draining the tank was required unless you're actually replacing the tank,but I did anyway. Replaced the old schrader valve core with one from a brand-new tire valve. Put in 40 PSI and turned the power back on.

Water flow is now like a "normal" plumbing system,doesn't surge like before. Before doing any of this,the gauge reading show a very fast pressure drop,now pressure drops slowly so now less pump cycling. Pete my pressure switch is a 40/60,the turn-on pressure is about 38-40. The switch is located on a tube plumbed to the side of the tank. About midway on the tube is the switch,and at the end of the tube is the gauge and valve. My tank is 45 gallons.

Time to find another weekend project

Liked
    93 times

Exclamation Well done

Well done Eddie

About 65% of my clients have well water.

You were correct in draining down the pressure tank before adding air.
    Keep an eye on things for a week or two - you could have a slow leak
    in the bladder. If the problem returns replace the tank and switch with
    a fiberglass pressure tank. These are less problematic and resistant to
    acidic well water. A 40/60 switch is best.