Should I restore 1991 Toyota EXT cab 4x4 truck

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I restore 1991 Toyota EXT cab 4x4 truck

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Should I restore 1991 Toyota EXT cab 4x4 truck

I am newbie and thank you for letting join your forum. I am receiving a 1991 Toyota EXT cab 4x4 truck (6 cyl.) with 51,000 original miles on it.

The truck is owned by my 81 year old mother-in-law who (honest to gawd!) only used it to go to the grocery store or to church in inclement weather (Northern Indiana). In fact, I've used the truck more than she has used it over the years do to small home projects that I've needed her truck.

Therefore, I know the whole history of the truck (late father-in law bought it in 1992 with 5,000 miles on it). The truck has always been garaged and meticulously maintained such as regular synthetic oil changes and most recently a new timing belt, charged the A/C system, and all new brake work and lines. The engine is strong. The interior shows hardly any signs of wear and there are no cracks or tears in the seats or dash. She has had the truck professionally detailed every year that she has owned it.

One of the best items about the truck other that what is noted above is that it has side vent windows on it. Boy I sure miss those things on the newer vehicles. By the way, Ive seen 1989-1991 Toyota pickups without side vent windows. Why is it that those pickups don't have side vent windows on them but my 1991 pick up has them?

The paint looks pretty new on it but the problem is that there is a lot of rust bubbling on the bed fender sides, numerous areas on the bottom sides of the bed and at least one small area on the lower part of the cab. I have not checked underneath the bed frame as of yet, but I suspect there could be areas of concern under the bed frame. Again, since I live in Northern Indiana salt usage is a concern. The steel wheels have some surface rust on them, (I painted them about 3-4 years ago) but I would like to find some stock aluminum wheels to fit the truck to upgrade it. Can some one tell me what bolt pattern these wheels would have on them?

I might have to get a new bed for it due to all the bubbling rust. Where could I get one? I'm sure that all the salvage yards up here would just have worse beds that I have already. Does someone make new beds or is that cost prohibitive?

I would use the truck as a daily driver probably putting on 50 miles per week. Whatever I end up doing with the bed of the truck, I am sure I'll have to get the whole truck painted since it'll be pretty had to match new paint with 20+ year old paint that's already on the truck due to fading and etc. Any rough Idea on what a new decent paint job would cost?

I'm not looking for this truck to be a "show" truck, but I'd like it to be at least a "head turner". Am I " nuts" to put money into this 20+ truck or not. I'd appreciate any and all input from you.

Thank you again and glad to be part of this forum.

Farqart

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    145 times

Default Re: Should I restore 1991 Toyota EXT cab 4x4 truck

To answer the vent window question, it was an option. Base models did not get the option but as you went up to SR5 it became an option.

If your just wanting a rig to enjoy, find a body shop that can replace the bed sides, undercoat and spray bedliner bothe sides and drive the crap out of it.
    Love, Peace and Taco (he he) Grease

GUZZLER, of all that is refined.

2 Must haves for every guy, see my avatar.

Liked
    16 times

i say go for it! i would kill for an oldschool toyota. reminds me of being a kid riding in dads 87... im 24. do it and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Liked
    25 times

Well first of all...let's see pics!

Secondly, I think you'll find most folks will give you the same advice. While I agree with Treo12, I'd kill to have a clean '91 4x4 also, we differ in opinion on whether to restore or not. The question is fundamental. First do you have any idea to what extent the truck needs to be restored mechanically and otherwise? Do you know how much money it will take? Parts are obsolete for this truck so assuming you can find the parts you need, expect to pay BIG bucks for them. Lastly, are you prepared to invest....or what most would call "waste" large sums of money on a 21 year old truck which has very little resale value, even if completely restored? Only you know how well the truck has been maintained and granted while the truck does have low mileage, some parts deteriorate with time. I'm not trying to sound negative at all, so please don't take it that way. If the truck is in tip top shape and doesn't require much in terms of a complete restoration, then I'd say go for it. Then ask yourself, if you did do a complete restoration, what would you do with it then? Stick it in a museum? Sell it to a collector? See where I'm going with this? My approach would be, since you have this nice low mileage truck that Granny is giving you, I'd simply do the minimal amount of work to ensure the truck is safe, reliable and roadworthy and just enjoy it as it is. I love those old body styles. I wish Toyota still made them. I think the Tacoma (increase in size) was a mistake personally. I believe there is still a market for compact pickup trucks like your '91.
    2006 DW Edition Double Cab
    SnugTop Shell
    Westin Step Rails
    K&N Air Filter
    Pioneer AVH-3400BH

Liked
    839 times
    Images

yea my dad had a 1990 toyota pickup 2.2L 4X4 for 15 years and sold it to buddy who is a mechanic. it had 215,000 miles on it and no rust. the reason he sold it was because the front diff failed and he didnt want to spend the money to replace it. the mechanic still owns it but it rotting away cause he hardly drives it. i would love to have it back. so im saying go for it but dont go crazy and put tons of money into it.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 211,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.