1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4-Any good?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4-Any good?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4-Any good?

Im thinking (again) of ditching my tercel for something safer. Theres a '94 4x4 toyota pickup in my local paper. 86K miles, sunroof, 5 speed, $4200. If I find out what options are on it I might offer $3000 or a bit more. Regardless of whether its a 2.4L 4 or 3.0L 6 cylinder, it sounds like this could be a fun truck, especially if its ext cab for my 6'3" behind. The classified ad doesnt list much else, and I can't get hold of the guy on the phone yet. Anyone have a 1990-95 toyota pickup and want to share their experiences? These arent the ones I see that have sooooo much rust on the bed that its full of holes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

These are very solid trucks. I have a three friends that all have either a 93 or 94. One has over 200,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Another one was in mint condition, and had just received a 6" lift and 35" tires, but was hit by another car coming back from the hunting lease last weekend. Very sad incident because it totaled the truck. Depending on the condition of the vehicle and what it has, sounds like a solid deal. I say if you like it go for it. Plus there is lots available for those trucks aftermarket wise.

Clay

Liked
    0 times

You want to make a quick buck, bring it out here (northern CA) and re-sell it. It is THE truck of choice for all the high school guys. One of the reasons is they handle all the dirt roads and last forever. My daughters boyfriend had one, rolled it, bought another, modded it so severly for offroad that it was squirrely on the highway, and bought a third!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

I finally got hold of the guy. Its sold. Been in the paper for about 48 hours, and I check daily online classifieds for my local paper. There are two others in the paper for about the same price, both with about 180K miles. Too many for me.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by file014
    I finally got hold of the guy. Its sold. Been in the paper for about 48 hours, and I check daily online classifieds for my local paper. There are two others in the paper for about the same price, both with about 180K miles. Too many for me.
    If the truck has been taken care of 180k is nothing. I have a 93 with 183K and not a single problem. I also have a 94 4Runner with 130k again, no problems.
    These years of trucks are some of the best trucks Toyota has ever made.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Well they used much of the same design from 1979-1995 didnt they? And it probably carried over to the Tacos I would guess. They seem about the same size just looking at them. I just dont want to put $4-5K on something with that many miles, thats all. Maybe $2500 max.

Oh, which ones had head gasket problems. the 2.4 or the 3.0?
    Toyota fixes these under recall?

Liked
    1 times

Well they used much of the same design from 1979-1995 didnt they? And it probably carried over to the Tacos I would guess. They seem about the same size just looking at them. I just dont want to put $4-5K on something with that many miles, thats all. Maybe $2500 max.

Oh, which ones had head gasket problems. the 2.4 or the 3.0?
    Toyota fixes these under recall?
    I don't know about the head gasket thing but I think you will be hell bent to find a 94 for $2500. I have seen some as high as $9000 where I live. No kidding! Most are around $5500 if they are V6 extra cab.

Liked
    0 times

There was a design change in '89... not sure but I think that's when they went to the IFS on the 4wd. '89 carried through to the Tacoma, which eliminated the torsion bars on the front.
    The head gasket issue was with the V6 engines.

They are solid trucks. I bought my '94 2wd with 35,000 on it in 1997 for 11,500 and ran it until Nov '02, totalling 225,000. I had one warped exhaust manifold, three front brake jobs, and the clutch was gone at 180k. One battery.

I did not take good care of it... I was lucky to change the oil at 10k, and it still had the factory coolant in it when I traded it on the Tundra... yet it never let me down.

I would have kept it, but I simply needed more room and wanted more power... the 2.4 is pretty anemic.
    2008 Tacoma 2.7 RC Base
    2003 SR5 TRD V8 <<< Sold 2005
    Better Built toolbox / Limited leather / Power outlet mod / RS3200 Plus / Rebadged w/TRD / Bully Nerf bars / '05 OEM Taillights / Clear corners / Factory Woodgrain kit / Gentex EC Mirror / Gaylord's Toolbox-Lid / MB Overdrives / Muthco Signal Mirrors / Sport Grille / TRD Dual Exhaust / Camry Nav System

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for all the responses. Im really liking what I hear. I'm really gonna try to get one I think. I cant stand this tercel. Its a great car, but not when you are swarmed with F150s and SUVs in traffic and Im SOOO afraid to get squashed. Why not just sell it and get a Pre-Taco, ya know? Could save my life!

There was an '86 4runner 4x4 5 speed I was looking at too. I think that was the first EFI year. Had the inclinometer on the dash-cool stuff! They wanted $1800, but it was rusty as hell underneath and all the gearboxes looked like they were leaking. This tercel sucks but it runs great and no probs. I need something that I dont have to worry about too much.

Leo
    Liked
    0 times

1985 was the last year they build a pickup with solid axle and the year they started with Fuel Injection on a 2.4l engine. 1986 started with IFS, I think they started with a V6 in 1988. V6 have horrible gas mileage, 2.4l engines have better gas mileage. I had a 95 4Runner with V6 and I used to get 12mpg city and if I'm lucky 14mpg hwy. But I had 33" tires and rear Detroit Soft locker and 4.88 gears. IMHO if you can find a 1985 pickup that would be an awesome DD and offroad rig at the same time. Just my 2 cents.
    2000 Tundra 2wd Access Cab

Liked
    1 times

Im thinking (again) of ditching my tercel for something safer. Theres a '94 4x4 toyota pickup in my local paper. 86K miles, sunroof, 5 speed, $4200. If I find out what options are on it I might offer $3000 or a bit more. Regardless of whether its a 2.4L 4 or 3.0L 6 cylinder, it sounds like this could be a fun truck, especially if its ext cab for my 6'3" behind. The classified ad doesnt list much else, and I can't get hold of the guy on the phone yet. Anyone have a 1990-95 toyota pickup and want to share their experiences? These arent the ones I see that have sooooo much rust on the bed that its full of holes?
    I traded in my 94 for the new big green T, and in some ways I miss the "old blue". That truck was one of the most trouble free, tough, trucks I've ever owned. Constantly went over the rated capacity when loading, ie. firewood, sand, rocks, etc., never had a problem. Small enough to drive anywhere, ie. backyard to guide trees when felling, using ropes, parking, 4 wheeling, etc. Even with the bigger tires, the V6 proved to be very strong. Believe it or not, had only 54 K miles on it when it was traded in 2003, benefits of having a company vehicle. To die for dark blue metalic paint. I did do the V6 head gasket at 40K just because it was free from the dealer, never had any problems with the motor or head gasket even up to that point. Think the shaft seal was starting to leak from the water pump around 50 K, had it replace with the timing belt just for the hell of it. It's not that I'm not in love with my 03, but I had grown attached to the little blue. Very good truck. Highly recommend it/them.

S.D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dscn0512.jpg 
Views:	37584 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	2113  

Liked
    2 times

I say go with the 4cyl....they are bullet proof 300k engines if there ever was one.

Wish I could get one in this area for that price. Here they are non-existant used and when you find one there is no body left to it.

I had an '85 model that I drove into the ground and then my dad took it and drove it another 7 years!!!!! Only a clutch in 200k (or close..can't remember).

Yeah the 4cyl wasn't a rocket.....but when you select your own gears they leave some mean scratch!!!
    2011 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.0L
    2013 Avalon Limited

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re:is 1988 4runner ifs same as 1990 pick up ifs

helle any one i would like to know if the suspention of a 1988 ifs same as 1990 etra cab pickup truck

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: is 1988 4runner ifs same as 1990 pick up ifs

Quote Originally Posted by scnner View Post
    helle any one i would like to know if the suspention of a 1988 ifs same as 1990 etra cab pickup truck
    Yes, they are the same. As stated above, the suspension in the front was the same from '86-94 regardless of the ext. cab vs. standard cab. I am not sure if there were any differences between the torsion spring rates from the 22RE to the 6 cyl though.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4-Any good?

I bought my Toyota Pickup 4x4 extended cab 2 years used in 1996 with about 29,000 miles. I drove this truck for the next 11 years. I took care of it pretty well with oil changes about every 3000 miles and the usual maintenence. This was the best truck I had ever owned. It had no problems until about 100,000 miles. After that I had to replace the gas tank because of a large leak. The engine developed a pretty large oil leak at about 105,000 miles. I took it in for the recall on the head gaskets at about 120,000 miles and even after they replaced them they blew at 137,000 miles and I had to put the truck into storage until they could be fixed. Cost is about $1500 if that is the only problem. The pros to this truck are that it holds up pretty well. I had a few fender benders with it and because of the old style metal bumpers, not a scratch. Rust was never a problem with this truck except on the tailgate and that wasn't until about 120,000 miles. The extended cab is good for extra passengers but they have to be kids or pretty small friends. The best thing about this truck was the four wheel drive. Living in Pennsylvania, the seasons and terrain offer a variety of challenges. Snow in the winter, mountains and valleys, off-roading. All were no problem. I can't tell you whether to buy it or not but these were my experiences with mine.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast