Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Getting 5th wheel camper ready

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  handirifle 
#1 ·
I just recently purchased the 2013 crewmax louisiana edition 4x4 on 275/55/r20 bfg rugged terrain t/a. I'm in the process of setting up my reese hitch in the bed accompanied with the Reese sidewinder for the camper. Can somebody chime in and let me know if these tires are strong enough to handle a 5 th wheel roughly 8500lbs. I know I would need airbags but I don't know which ones and I know I need a brake controller but don't know which is
Better. I'm new to towing this big so any suggestions on how to set up truck would be greatly appreciate an taking into consideration.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I think those tires are load range C, maybe D, more research is needed. Probably says on the sidewall itself. I would strongly recommend load range E for the superior sidewall strength.

Regarding airbags, last year I bought and installed a set of Airlift 5000 with the WirelessOne remote and I LOVE it! It was a pretty straight foreward install, no wiring or gauges into the cab which simplifies the install quite a bit. When I have a heavy load in the bed or when towing, I stand back like 75' from the truck and with the wireless remote, add air until the truck is "visually" level. Hop in the truck and go! Here is a link to my install thread with pictures: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/225224-air-lift-load-lifter-5000-air/

I have a Prodigy brake controller, can't go wrong with that brand. I can't remember the specific model, but it was about $100, I think it's the P2. Your truck may already have the pigtail to make it a plug-n-play install. Here's a link to a thread about the P2. In the last post I have a picture of where I placed the unit. I have the center console in my CrewMax. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/219244-prodigy-p2-brake-controler/. Here's one more link about brake controller placement: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/towing/88587-brake-controller-placement-in-07-a/.

I'd also strongly recommend a set of the towing mirrors. Very easy to replace your stockers. Sharp looking Tundra too! Oh my gosh, one more thing, I would also suggest getting a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) for your trailer. One I've used for the last 6 or 7 years is: PressurePro - Tire Pressure Monitoring System PRODUCTS. You would need four sensors and the monitoring device. The piece of mind and SAFETY this system brings you is priceless! I've had two flats since I've owned the system and it alerted me both times and I was able to safely pull over, replace the tire with the spare and then have the original tire repaired and placed back into service. I don't know how much you have towed, but with 4 tires on the trailer you cannot even tell when one of them has gone flat unti it starts shredding apart and flinging chunks all over the road and drivers in other cars are honking at you!

This should keep you busy for awhile! Enjoy the new trailer and post up some pics once you get it and have it all hooked up. :tu: By the way, what trailer are you getting? More details please! I tow a 2004, Outback 26' with rear slide. Hope to upgrade in the next 3 years or so.

#5 ·
The tires are a P rating passenger tire 2185 max load from tire rack specs that is all great ideas and I will look into all of them thanks guys definently for the help. And Herbicidal it's an older trailer that was given to us which in turn is y I had to sell my tacoma PreRunner. It's an 1994 Jayco 265rlrlp the tag on the trailer says 8715 but seems a Lil high for a 26 footer. Hopefully I can brim it to a scale And get the truck and camper weighed true.

#6 ·
I tow a Rockwood 8281SS 5W with my 2012 Tundra Crew Max. I still have the P rated tires on, I just put the pressure up to the max (44PSI) and I have no problems. I do plan on moving up to a E rated tire. I also have Timberlins in the rear for suspension help. They work well. The truck sits nice and pulls well. You may also want to think about putting a 7 Pin plug in the bed of you truck for the trailer connection. My unit came with the reese revolution on it and you can turn 90 degrees without hitting the truck. It does get real close. The one warning I will give you is your gas milage is going to be horrible. I only get 8 MPG towing my unit (7600 LBS dry). Good luck.

Attachments

#7 ·
I tow a Rockwood 8281SS 5W with my 2012 Tundra Crew Max. I still have the P rated tires on, I just put the pressure up to the max (44PSI) and I have no problems. I do plan on moving up to a E rated tire. I also have Timberlins in the rear for suspension help. They work well. The truck sits nice and pulls well. You may also want to think about putting a 7 Pin plug in the bed of you truck for the trailer connection. My unit came with the reese revolution on it and you can turn 90 degrees without hitting the truck. It does get real close. The one warning I will give you is your gas milage is going to be horrible. I only get 8 MPG towing my unit (7600 LBS dry). Good luck.
Is that Reese revolution the same as the sidewinder I was in the process of ordering the sidewinder.

#8 ·
Yes it is. If it comes as factory equipment on a unit it is called a Reese Revolution. If you buy it and install it after market they call it a Reese Sidewinder. I was confused in the beginingg and don't understand why the do it.

#9 ·
Yes it is. If it comes as factory equipment on a unit it is called a Reese Revolution. If you buy it and install it after market they call it a Reese Sidewinder. I was confused in the beginingg and don't understand why the do it.
Thanks a lot for all the info guys yal been a great help I'm glad to be part of the tundra family!! God bless the USA

#10 ·
Well it's done installed the rail kit with Reese 16k, airlift 5000's with wireless one air compressor kit tttekonsha P3 brake controller mounted between the spare tire and bed, HID's upper and lower, Magnaflow true dual exhaust 18" tips corner style, and just recently installed punch power 400 watt amp
With 2 8" non powered bazooka tubes behind back seat. Going hook up camper in a few weeks and
See how she pulls!!

#11 ·
Pics to follow of compressor install turned out really nice thanks for the advice guys yal are one in a million

#12 ·
Most excellent! AND, you're welcome! :tu:

#13 ·
Made the first big tow uphill mostly from Houma,La to Meridian, Ms. Averaged close to 8mpg but tundra pulled great. Thanks for all yals input airlift bags really made a difference on keeping the truck level with a heavy load. Next upgrades gonna include bilstein adjustable shocks to level the front then drop a 295/55 toyo open country m/t on the rims tint the front Windows to match rear and then add westin bull bar. Then thinking about either the scanguage or the new bully dog gt tuner for a Lil more hp. That should do me for the new year lol.

#14 ·
Glad to hear that everything came together so well. :tu: Love my Airlift airbags too, especially the wireless controller. :D

#15 ·
As for the airbags, I wish I had spent the extra $$$ and gone that route. I have the extra leaf helper springs and while they have done a fine job, I do need to get under the truck to adjust them if I anticipate a heavy load in the bed. Fortunately I have since gotten a utility trailer and don't use the bed for real heavy stuff anymore.

One other thing I want to add, hook up the trailer and step back from it about 20-30yds. The trailer should ride level like the pics of the trailers in this thread. Not doing so will put too much load on one of the axles and can blow a tires prematurely.

I would also make a mental note of just how far you can turn the truck with the trailer hitch in the maneuvering position. This could save you slamming the nose of the trailer into the cab when you are concentrating on getting into that tight trailer space someday. I got out of my truck to see where the rear of the trailer was once, and just happened to notice the left front corner of my trailer was about 1" from the rear of my cab, yikes!!!!!

By the way, I usually get between 9-10 towing my 6000lb 5th wheel with my '06 DC, 4x4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.