How much can a 4cyl toyota truck haul?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much can a 4cyl toyota truck haul?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default How much can a 4cyl toyota truck haul?

I'm toying with the idea of picking up an older late 80's, early 90's toyota pickup. I would need it to be able to tow a small enclosed trailer, probably 6' x 10' at the biggest, across the country.

I don't really know how much that trailer will weight, but it will be filled with various household items, a couch being the heaviest, but full of the kinds of stuff you need to bring with you when you move from one place to another.

Would I be pushing the 22RE engine or would it be able to handle this?

Thanks
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: How much can a 4cyl toyota truck haul?

So you will be towing AND hauling, or mostly towing with some very mild hauling?

Spec payload capacities on these 1989 to 95 "3rd gen" Pickup's for the extended cab's is 1400 pounds for 4x4 from my understanding. The 3.0 V6's towing capacity is 3500 pounds as far as I know and I wouldn't wanna venture over that or near there if you don't have (I have a 93 extended cab 4x4 with the V6) But the majority of these trucks if they still have the stock springs will probably need replacement leafs by now, well, the 4x4's anyhow.

ON my truck I had the leafs replaced as well as an extra leaf added. The rear end goes over bump's a little harder than the front, but the truck rides nice and level and it takes a fridge to make the truck ride "right" as far as comfort goes yet it doesn't sag even with a fridge or when loaded and hauling other items. So I strongly recommend having the rear springs looked at and consider an extra leaf. It's good for both hauling and towing and a better option in my opinion than air bags.

AS far as engine capability I don't have that much expierience with the 22RE as I don't own it, only driven a few, but I will say that I probably wouldn't want to tow more than 1000 pounds with the 22RE for any sort of distance, and especially if I had some weight in the bed too (also from the general impression I gather from reading various posts on towing on this engine over the years on other toyota boards). The V6 would be better cut out for the job in my opinion here. The V6 in the pickups (Keep in mind I generally talk 4x4's there - maybe you're looking at the lower riding more economical to buy/drive 4x2's in which case the 22RE's are more common) if well tuned up will get not bad gas mileage (It doesn't have to work as hard to move the truck as the 22RE 4 cyl) and it is a very torquey engine and quite capable for towing up to about 2000 pounds with descent confidence.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I am thinking about some light items in the bed of the truck and most of the weight being in an enclosed trailer. Since I don't have the trailer yet I can only take a guess at what it might weight from others I've seen on the internet and it looks like a 6' x 10' trailer would probably weight more empty than a 4 cyl could tow, but that size might end up being much bigger than what I actually need.

I am thinking trying to do with with the 4cyl may be pushing it, but I really only need it to do this once and then I doubt I would ever tow anything with it again. There will most likely be mountain passes involved.

I'll look into the bigger engine. Was there some head gasket issues on the 6 cyl engines from these same years?

Liked
    2 times

You might also want to consider a T100 with the 3.4L. You get a little more truck and engine... which should make towing that size trailer much easier. But that said, my father inlaw has a '94 T100 with the 3.0L and he has even towed a car half way across the US without any issues (just have to keep the tranny out of overdrive).

Both the early '90's 3.0L and 3.4L engines had headgasket issues and were recalled. The 3.0L was just a faulty oem gasket design. On the 3.4L, they were just installed upside down at the factory. You will want to make sure the headgaskets were replaced before buying. Once the headgasket issue is replaced, these engines are practically indestructable.
    2009 Camry Hybrid (wife's car)
    2007 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4 (What a truck!!!)
    2001 Sequoia Limited (for sale)
    1999 Solara SLE (kid's car)
    1995 T100 DX 4x4 (my tonka toy, but its gotta go as my wife says I don't need 2 trucks )
    2000 Mustang (black sheep of the family)

Liked
    1 times

There was a headgasket recall as was already mentioned on the 3.0 3vze V6 found in Toyota pickups and 4runners from 88-95 (The recall didn't cover all of those years - I believe it just covered 90-94 and some 95's). The recall fixed the problem as far as I'm concerned. Hell some never had the recall done and their engine ended up going 200,000 plus miles with no issue. My truck has about 170,000 miles on it and it had the recall done about 60,000 miles. The impression I get about the 3vze V6 is that considering it was Toyota's first V6, they did a heckuva a job, and it is still one hell of a reliable engine. A little gutless by today's V6 standards but it's still a solid engine considering it was designed in the mid 80's. If you do regular maintenance and your cooling system is in top shape this engine will have no issues. Also I think a lot of the guys who ***** about the 3vze V6 are a bit too "relative." The 3vze is light years ahead from a durability/reliability standpoint than domestics of the era but many feel the 22re and other Toyota engines were a little bit more reliable. Well it should be more reliable, it has less working parts! I personally feel that if both of these engines are put beside each other and maintaned equally, they will both last just as long. So worrying about headgasket issues on the V6? It shouldn't bother you.

AS for the 3.4 headgasket issues on the first Tacoma's and 4runners from 96 on my understanding was it just a simple issue of the head gasket's were upside down.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn
    I'm toying with the idea of picking up an older late 80's, early 90's toyota pickup. I would need it to be able to tow a small enclosed trailer, probably 6' x 10' at the biggest, across the country.

I don't really know how much that trailer will weight, but it will be filled with various household items, a couch being the heaviest, but full of the kinds of stuff you need to bring with you when you move from one place to another.

Would I be pushing the 22RE engine or would it be able to handle this?

Thanks
    Dan
    I had a 1988 with a FI 22RE It was lifted and had wide 33in tires. On the interstate it would pull itself OK if there was no wind and no hills if there was both I would have it in 3rd if there was one I'd be in 4th floored. If it was stock it would have done OK but it wouldn't have pulled a trailer satisfactorily for any great distance. If I was you and was going to tow across the country I'd look toward a 6 cyl unless you are in no hurry.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Won't be a fun trip. Should be fine downhill with no wind though.

Liked
    0 times

I have towed a car on a dolly from D.C. to central OH with a 2.7L 4x4 Tacoma and a different car on a dolly about 40 miles with a 22r 2wd. I wouldn't recommend doing it often with either. I would highly recommend a v6for towing. A 6x10 enclosed will generally have a 3500lb axle. The Tundra V8 I used to have towed our 6x12 well from central OH to Arizona. Also, my dad used a v6 highlander to tow the same trailer and it did well.

I guess what I am getting is, its a bad idea with the 22re. Get a 3.0 or a 3.4 at least.

Nick

Liked
    2 times

I had a 1990 toyota pick up 22re for years and I pulled our 23 foot doral phazer boat it's probally about 4000 lbs. I usally pulled it to the cottage about 2 hours away, it struggled up hills, and couldn't stop suddenly but if you take your time and dont push it too hard it worked fine.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Re: How much can a 4cyl toyota truck haul?

Dan,
    I have a 1986 PU w/22R 5 speed, original owner, odometer 242,700. I have used my truck to tow a lot over the years, towing building matierial, and cars. I tow dollied from Colorado to PA my fully loaded bed (with topper on) with all my heaving power tools, and car on tow dolly (Fiat Spyder) also fully packed with spare parts. My truck did just fine, I adjusted my speed for the extra weight and road conditions. The one thing you have to remember is not how much weight your able to tow, but how much weight your able to stop! I would say that I was on the edge of being on the very unsafe stopping side, but I also did a full brake inspection, and mechical prior to my trip. The 22R is an amazing workhorse, you just need to make sure that all systems are working properly and check often.

Liked
    0 times

Hey Dan!
    I have owned a 1992 Toyota 4x4 X-cab for 8 years now...and it has the 22R four cylinder. it has over 210,000 miles on it. I used to use it for my tennis court construction business and hauled and pulled a lot of heavy cargo. the engine is one tough work horse. but I would reccomend a six cylinder for traveling across country personnaly. You'll encounter different altitude changes, and lots of hills and curvy roads. This is only my suggestion, but I would get the most truck you can afford to be safe as possible. I love my toyota 4x4, and have had the chance to buy a bigger newer truck, but this one is one tough truck!
    Have a great day!
    Steve

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

A lot depends on the transmission. If you get the 4cl., don't get and A/T. With a manual you should be okay on flat ground so long as your expectations are reasonable. 55 mph with a heavy load.

I pulled a 12 foot Uhaul full of household stuff and the bed full with a Nissan 4cyl ( more hp than toyo) and did fine at 55-60, manual transmission. Hills were a challenge and slowed to 40 on some of them.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have the same sort of question: I have a 1994 4 cyl 5-speed manual truck, and am looking to buy a 19-foot boat with a total weight of about 2000 lbs, incl. motor. I think it would be OK for trips of 2 hours on flat ground, but am worried about the ability to pull the boat out of the water on a ramp.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

i see these trucks all the time in san diego with flat beds hauling a ton of junk back to mexico. i mean, piled to the brim with old appliances.

Liked
    76 times
    Images

I had a 89 2X4 V6 5 speed stick extra cab for 20 years, put 165,000 on it & it pulled & stopped my 1500 lbs trailer just fine. however I pulled a 3400 load of pretty brick for the flower beds, the truck didn't have enough brakes to stop, at least the 4x4's had alot bigger brakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast