How many people have had seized AC compressors?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

View Poll Results: What A/C Problem Applies To You?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have had an AC compressor failure that was covered under the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.

7 15.91%
  • I have had an AC compressor failure that was not covered under warranty.

4 9.09%
  • I have had an AC compressor failure was covered under an extended warranty.

0 0%
  • I have had a general AC problem that was covered under the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.

2 4.55%
  • I have had a general AC problem that was not covered under warranty.

0 0%
  • I have had a general problem that was covered under an extended warranty.

1 2.27%
  • I am in the midst of an AC compressor failure and am not sure of the outcome.

3 6.82%
  • None

27 61.36%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How many people have had seized AC compressors?

Liked
    0 times

Default How many people have had seized AC compressors?

(Sorry, I tried to create a poll but you have to post the poll within one minute of submitting the thread. I don't type that fast. I'm going to see if a moderator can add the poll.)

How many of you with 2001, 2002 or 2003 Sequoias have had an AC compressor-related problem, either in warranty or out of warranty. This thread on AC issues showed me that many of you out there have having problems.

My 60,000 mile, certified pre-owned 2001 Sequoia's air conditioning compressor has seized. I noticed back in late fall that the AC light was blinking and thought it might have been due to low refrigerant. The manual says that a blinking AC light means that there is a problem with the system. Well, I figured I wouldn't need to use the AC for the winter anyway, so I figured I wouldn't bother with it until spring.

I decided to bring the truck into the dealer after I started smelling fuel in the cabin as well as the engine compartment. Since I was there, I thought I would have them look at the AC issue. Well, the dealer couldn't smell the gas but said that the odor was due to the AC belt burning due to a frozen compressor.

Anyway, I was told it's going to run $3,000 to "replace the entire system"!!! I am so grateful to the power of the internet and Tundra Solutions because I immediately logged on and did a search of prior AC issues and saw that there is a TSB on the problem, apparently an issue with the oil lines being too small and not providing enough lubrication during hot running conditions, resulting in compressor lock up.

Toyota is saying tough luck, you're out of warranty. My issue is that they knew this was a known problem since they issued the TSB. I find it utterly ridiculous that the compressor has failed at this early point in the truck's life. I told Toyota that there is no way this compressor should not have been able to go to 130,000 miles before a failure. I paid a decent amount of money for this used truck, and could have bought a brand new $28,000 Chevy Suburban. Why did I not choose a Suburban or any domestic product, for that matter, when I could have gotten it for a much cheaper price? One word: the freakin' "reliability"!! I bought a Toyota so I could have the peace of mind that my vehicle is going to start when I want it to, stop when I want it to, turn when I want it to, and, yes, cool me when I want. Toyotas command top dollar because they are built to last. They did not build this reputation because components would wear out at 60,000 miles.

I told the Toyota rep at the toll-free number that they have an opportunity to do the right thing and take care of this issue, a problem that will probably cost them $1500 to rectify. I also informed them that if they did not help me out, I was going to collect as much information on as many owners who have had seized compressors as possible and spearhead an NHTSA recall, thereby forcing them to pay ten thousand times more than if they were to simply cover the costs. They obviously did not take me up on my offer.

So, please, if you've had problems, post on the poll and let me know your experiences with it. I would greatly appreciate it. This is the first step. I need to see if enough people have had problems to warrant the NHTSA's attention. I think having the compressor seize and burn the belt constitutes a fire hazard.

Should I post this question to Tundra owners, too?

Again, I'd like to limit this poll to 2001, 2002, and 2003 owners.

Thank you for your help.
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times

I have not had an issue with the A/C in mine (knock on wood!). But have definite concerns based on other's experiences.

Does anyone know how much it costs to have the TSB done on a preventive basis before the compressor goes out? Looking thru the TSB, they also replace some of the lines going into/out of the rear exchanger. Do these really have to be replaced as well or is this only performed after the compressor has seized in order to clean the metal particles/filings out of the lines?
    2009 Camry Hybrid (wife's car)
    2007 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4 (What a truck!!!)
    2001 Sequoia Limited (for sale)
    1999 Solara SLE (kid's car)
    1995 T100 DX 4x4 (my tonka toy, but its gotta go as my wife says I don't need 2 trucks )
    2000 Mustang (black sheep of the family)

Liked
    0 times

Many have *****ed and received some mercy from Toyota on this. I'd try all the avenues.
    2004 Sequoia LTD
    CarSPIN.net

Liked
    0 times

I have not had this problem either but I am concerned? Maybe we could write toyota to give us a deal on doing this preventative step? Anyone know where or who we should contact? There is power in numbers.
    www.teamvasko.com

Liked
    13 times

Thumbs up Poll Added

NOTATION: Poll has been added to this thread, as requested by the Thread Starter and Forum Moderator.

Sorry, it appears as if we have a small glitch with the "Poll" feature.

Dan

Liked
    0 times

I have over 85,000 miles on my 2001 Sequoia and I've never had any issues with the A/C but I'm definitely concerned.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
    My 60,000 mile, certified pre-owned 2001 Sequoia's air conditioning compressor has seized.
    I'd be all over them regarding the fact that it was certified pre-owned and didn't have all TSBs applied before selling the vehicle.

If certified pre-owned doesn't get you at least that, what is the point?

-=tg=-
    -=tg=-

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

Check the cost at an independent auto air shop.

What does your paperwork say in the fine print about "certified pre-owned." That's what you have to go by. Sure, do your best to get the TSB done at this late date. Best of luck.

The air conditioning is used when the defrost is on (unless the wire has been pulled like many of us have done). Refrigeration oil travels through the system with the refrigerant gas. A refrigerant leak will also be an oil leak. The loss of oil is likely the cause of the seized compressor.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by KLS
    The air conditioning is used when the defrost is on (unless the wire has been pulled like many of us have done). Refrigeration oil travels through the system with the refrigerant gas. A refrigerant leak will also be an oil leak. The loss of oil is likely the cause of the seized compressor.

Ken
    From what I understand from my previous web searches reading on this issue, is that one of the refrigerant tubing lines was poorly designed and oil collects in a low spot causing the compressor to eventually run dry, lose lubrication and seize.
    2009 Camry Hybrid (wife's car)
    2007 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4 (What a truck!!!)
    2001 Sequoia Limited (for sale)
    1999 Solara SLE (kid's car)
    1995 T100 DX 4x4 (my tonka toy, but its gotta go as my wife says I don't need 2 trucks )
    2000 Mustang (black sheep of the family)

Liked
    0 times

Thanks, folks. The certified pre-owned Toyota warranty covers powertrain issues up to 100,000 miles or 6(?) years. Is it true that all TSB's should be applied to a certified vehicle? It would be great to have a definitive answer.

I hate how Toyota is trying to weasel out of this.

They have no idea what a persistent weasel killer I am.
    Mark

Liked
    0 times

Dan,

Thanks for adding the poll!! This will help a bunch.

Any way this thread can be merged with the first thread that didn't have the poll?
    Mark

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default warranty

I also have certified Sequoia but the warranty starts when the car was purchased as new. Thus meaning the date it was first sold to the original owner. Any one can confirm this? Or maybe I am reading it wrong.

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
    Thanks, folks. The certified pre-owned Toyota warranty covers powertrain issues up to 100,000 miles or 6(?) years. Is it true that all TSB's should be applied to a certified vehicle? It would be great to have a definitive answer.

I hate how Toyota is trying to weasel out of this.

They have no idea what a persistent weasel killer I am.
    Since a TSB is usually only performed on a vehicle that exhibits the problem identified by the TSB during the original warranty period, I don't think that because a vehicle is a certified used vehicle then all TSB's issued against the model year and model need to be performed.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by ezmortal
    I also have certified Sequoia but the warranty starts when the car was purchased as new. Thus meaning the date it was first sold to the original owner. Any one can confirm this? Or maybe I am reading it wrong.
    Each TCUV comes with a 6-year/100,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty2 (from original date of first use when purchased as new).

2 Warranty provided by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. In AL, FL, GA, NC and SC, the warranty is issued by JM Family Enterprises and warranty coverage differs. See your Toyota dealer for details. Program not available in Hawaii.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Liked
    0 times

Thanks, Glen. That's what I thought.

Can you merge this thread with the polled thread?
    Mark

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.