Toyota 3.9% financing...but a penalty for early payoff?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toyota 3.9% financing...but a penalty for early payoff?

Liked
    0 times

Default Toyota 3.9% financing...but a penalty for early payoff?

Has anyone heard whether there is a penalty for paying off a dealer financing package early? Toyota is offering 3.9% on a 36 month term, but some manufacturers charge you a penalty, or fee, if you pay it off early because they don't get to earn the interest over the life of the loan.

Does anyone who has taken out this financing know if this is the case with Toyota?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Toyota 3.9% financing...but a penalty for early payoff?

I don't know of any auto financing that has a pre-payment penalty. I have had loans thru GMAC, BofA, Chase, TMCC, etc. My Lexus loans have been thru Chase and currently Lexus Financial. My Tundra is thru BofA. I've always paid off early and never had pre-payment penalties. I don't think there's enough money to be made on auto loans for it to have penalties as in the home loan market. Also the 3.9%. is only for those with tier one credit. FICO score 750 and up. You would have to have one big down payment to afford the 36 month loan though. I think most people end up with the 60 month loan at 5.9% which isn't that bad.
    George
    2004 Black Tundra Access Cab
    GFX Tube Steps Black PowderCoat
    14586 Magna Flow Muffler
    Hellwig Anti-sway Bar
    Bedrug
    Putco Black Chrome Popup Tiedowns
    Toyota Door Sill Protectors
    Rhino Hitch Step

Liked
    0 times

Yeah, you only need a 680 experian pull to get the 5.9 for 60. In my experience I have only seen one auto loan with a prepayment penalty and it was my wifes loan from a car before we got married. It was a loan on a 93 altima she took out in 00 at 18% interest, my CC's have a lower rate than that. The penalty was equal to what would be the interest if she were to pay it off early (or something simular to that). She paid more interest on that car than what she sold it for to buy her 03 neon...... which was another mistake. She has now agreed (asked me to really)that I can pick out her next car, negotiate and arange financing, she just wants to pick the color.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Funny thing about auto loans.. when you take out an auto loan ALL the interest (over the life of the loan) is added to the loan priincipal.. thus you are paying the year 2,3,4 interest even with the first payment.. so if you pay off early you are not saving anything..and the payoff will contain the interest even for the remaining months of the original loan.. while not an additional charge it could be looked at as a penalty..this is why the auto loan is such good business
    Joe

Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by jfs98466 View Post
    Funny thing about auto loans.. when you take out an auto loan ALL the interest (over the life of the loan) is added to the loan priincipal.. thus you are paying the year 2,3,4 interest even with the first payment.. so if you pay off early you are not saving anything..and the payoff will contain the interest even for the remaining months of the original loan.. while not an additional charge it could be looked at as a penalty..this is why the auto loan is such good business
    Yeah, that is why it is almost always better to finance through the bank! Also, if you go through the bank, you more easily qualify for rebates as usually financing is exclusive to rebates (i.e. $2500 off or 3.9%/36 months).

Liked
    0 times

The dealerships here in ATL are using 63 Months at 5.9% so there are 3 extra payments. I think for the most part a penalty applys if you pay off your loan in 90 days or less. That won't be the case with me!

Liked
    2 times

It's not really true that you pay for all the interest on a loan even if you pay it off early. It is true your payment in month 1 is more interest than principal and you pay most of the interest in the first half of the loan period, it's on a sliding scale. The earlier you pay off the loan the less interest you pay. They cannot charge you interest on money you have paid back. Some people take out a loan and pay it off in the first month and use this as a bargaining chip during negotiations, the dealers make a commission on selling loans. However, if you pay it off in the first month you only pay the interest for one month, not for the life of the loan.

Liked
    2 times

I don't know where all this talk of pre-configured interest is coming from. That would be illegal in most situations. Also, Toyota is not requiring anything down for the 3.9% 36-month deal so there is not a "one big downpayment". If your credit score is high enough to qualify there is no down requirement.

I got the 3.9% deal and it is amortorized over the term, as are most legal fixed-rate loans. The opening principal balance is exactly the final price negotiated with the dealer and does not have all future interest added in (again, this would be an illegal and usury practice). The very fact that loans must be amortorized over the term is what makes it so powerful to make extra payments early on.

There is no penalty for early payment. Toyota likes making interest, no doubt. But 3.9% is below the federal funds discount rate and so 3.9% is a terrible return for their investment. That's why you don't see banks offering such give-away rates. What Toyota is doing is still self-serving, in that it facilitates vehicle sales volume which helps their whole corporate bottom line. They would love you to pay off this 3.9% loan early and free up their capital so they can move on to the next car sale with it.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

mln
    Veteran Member
    Liked
    5 times

I took the 5.9% from Toy. I specifically asked about pre-payment penalties and was told there were none.
    '07 Tundra Slate Metallic SR5 4x4 TRD 381 HP/401 TQ
    ------------------------------------
    Blind allegiance is not my strong suit

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I just received 3.9% for 60 months on a Certified used Tundra with no pre-pay penalties.

Liked
    0 times

on most contracts through toyota it states that there can be a prepayment penalty. Here in California it is as stated earlier if you pay off the car in 90 days or less. After that, there isnt any. As far as the statement about you still pay all the interest when you pay it off early. THAT IS COMPLETELY FALSE.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hmmm good..... i would like to get it....

Liked
    10 times
    Images

I do finance in a Toyota dealership....

I wish another person chimmed in but. Toyota Motor Credit has no prepayment penalty. That is a way of the past. It is a simple interest loan.The contract from the dealership will say right on top that it is simple interest contract. Any of the auto loans you should ever sign will be simple interest. If you are concerned about the prepayment perhaps look at the cash inccentive on the car. If you payoff the loan you do not get the full benefit of the incentive. The bank would rather you pay it off early with such a low rate. When manufactors put out incentives it is REBATE OR RATE. Basicly you are buying down the rate with the rate with the rebate.
    2012 Double cab
    4" Procomp lift with Procomp Prorunners and airbags
    Kicker zx7005, Focal 165ca, 165a1, (2) 10 inch Kicker CVT
    Procomp 8180 0 offset and Toyo AT2 35x12.50x20
    Retrax tonneau cover
    Stebel electric magnum horns

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.