Prius starting problem! Help!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prius starting problem! Help!

lp2
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Prius starting problem! Help!

I brought a Prius in March 2007. I have been happy with the car. Lately it started to have intermittent starting problem.

On 1/21/2008, the car completely refused to start. Here is a video I took that day when I tried to start the car: http://picasaweb.google.com/achan25/...59270888116754

Eventually I have to call a towing company to tow my car to the dealer. The tow guy jump started the car.
    The dealer found nothing wrong with it, give the car back to me and charged me for the towing service.

Dealer claims it's not a battery issue since they load checked the aux battery.

What should I do next? Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Prius starting problem! Help!

if your not driving it for more the 3-4 days be sure to turn off the auto key function at the bottom of the steering colum left button this will help the aux battery stay charged longer. for winter storage or a long trip you should pull the radio fuse from the under the hood fuse box to stop all draw on the aux battery. the other thing weve seen is the light for the cargo area can be switched on and forgotten about because you can't see it with the hatch closed.
    Last edited by ToyotaServiceManager; 01-30-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I own a 2004 Prius and I am having the exact same problem. I even took a video that looks just like yours to prove to the dealer that I was not crazy. The technitian still says there is nothing wrong. Did you even find out what the problem is?

Pat Murphy, Sedona, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by lp2 View Post
    I brought a Prius in March 2007. I have been happy with the car. Lately it started to have intermittent starting problem.

On 1/21/2008, the car completely refused to start. Here is a video I took that day when I tried to start the car: Picasa Web Albums - Alan - Prius problem

Eventually I have to call a towing company to tow my car to the dealer. The tow guy jump started the car.
    The dealer found nothing wrong with it, give the car back to me and charged me for the towing service.

Liked
    34 times

I have has a couple of prius do this. It turned out to be bad brake light switches. The brake lights worked but there are 2 sets of contacts in the switch. If the ECU does not see your foot on the brake, you will NOT get a READY light.
    Last edited by mustang67408; 09-19-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I had the same problem and my video looked exactly like yours. I also took my Prius to the dealers (when I could get it to start) and they said there was nothing wrong. I discussed this problem with my local car mechanic and he came up with the idea that the batteries in my electronic key might be low. Guess what, I replaced the battery with a new one and have not had the problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by lp2 View Post

On 1/21/2008, the car completely refused to start. Here is a video I took that day when I tried to start the car: Picasa Web Albums - Alan - Prius problem

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.