4WD in Sequoia Plat.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4WD in Sequoia Plat.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default 4WD in Sequoia Plat.

I recall reading an in depth review of instructions and explanations of when and how to use the various 4WD features of the Plat. I can't seem to find the thread in this forum.

Any help appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: 4WD in Sequoia Plat.

I'm not sure what post that was, but I thought I'd give you what I know .

The Sequoia has what Toyota calls "Multi-Mode 4-Wheel-Drive." This is the definition from Toyota Canada:

4-Wheel Drive, Multi-Mode (Selectable)
    The driver can shift from 2WD to full-time 4WD on-the-fly, and has the option of engaging a 4WD low range. This type of system allows the vehicle to travel in full-time 4WD on any road surface because it has an open centre differential. Toyota calls this Multi-Mode 4WD.
    EXAMPLES: Sequoia, 4Runner

What that means is that the dial on the dash lets you choose between 2WD or 4H(igh) or 4L(ow). 2WD is the default setting and is there to help you save fuel whenever traction is not an issue. 4H is full time 4WD on any surface at any speed. 4L is only for low traction surfaces (gravel/snow) and at slow speed. You need to set the gear in Neutral first to switch to 4L. If you are off-roading, you can use 4L as a kind of "hill descent control" because the transmission will keep your speed very low as you go down.

If you are in conditions where you need maximum traction, there is another button on the dash that you can press to lock the center differential. I believe this also disables the VSC (stability control).
    The living are just the dead on holiday.
    2003 Sequioa LTD ~ Phantom Grey (sold): Stargazer's Garage

Liked
    0 times

You cannot shift into 4h at any speed but I cannot remember the threshold.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Under 60mph i think for the sequoia to go from 2wd to AWD. I think its 5mph to go from AWD to 4x4 I dont know what it is for goin from 4hi to 4L in 4x4
    2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4x4 V8
    R.I.P 2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD all D'Hoed up:frusty:
    A rule of thumb: If you can't describe your idea clearly and simply, you haven't thought it through.
    (\__/)
    (O.O)
    (> < )

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I think the sequoia is only 4wd not AWD. At least I hope so. AWD sucks. You should only switch into 4x4 if you have wheel slippage. If you switch into 4x4 on dry pavement you could mess up the transmission and/or diff's. There is a BIG difference between 4x4 and AWD.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan818 View Post
    I think the sequoia is only 4wd not AWD. At least I hope so. AWD sucks. You should only switch into 4x4 if you have wheel slippage. If you switch into 4x4 on dry pavement you could mess up the transmission and/or diff's. There is a BIG difference between 4x4 and AWD.

The 4wd in the Sequoia can be engaged and operated on both dry and wet pavement and can be used at any speed once engaged.

I have a 4wd Platinum Sequoia (US model) and just returned from vacation where I was towing a 7500# boat with 6 passengers on board. We had some wicked T-storms returning home. I used 4wd throughout the trip so I can speak from experience on using the 4wd selector.

The 08 Sequoia can be switched from 2wd to 4wd Hi from below approx. 55mph on any surface. The speed that it can be activated is not exact as it seems to depend on whether you're decelerating or accelerating. Seems like a computer is determining whether the transmission/transfer case is under load or not as to the exact speed that the 4wd can be engaged/disengaged but its approx. 55mph. If you are above the speed that the system deems acceptable an alarm will beep until you return the selector to the mode it was previously in or you decelerate to the speed the computer finds acceptable for changing the drivetrain mode.

When the Sequoia is in 4wd Hi it is operating in AWD. Having owned previous AWD vehicles, unless the drivetrain delivers a minimum amount amount of torque to the front wheels at all times AND can be operated on drive pavement than IMO its not AWD. The Sequoia is AWD by this definition because it delivers a minimum of 40% of the engine's torque to the front wheels in 4wd Hi and can move the % upto 50% through the mechanical Ctr differential, if the rear wheels are slipping .

Trust me...you definitely want a mechanical ctr diff when towing a heavy boat up a wet slippery ramp. The handling is also far superior when operating in 4wd Hi (AWD) when towing a heavy load at highway speeds in the rain. The Sequoia's 4WD was excellent during my recent vacation.

To change to 4wd lo you must be stopped and you should only operate in this mode on wet/slippery surfaces. If you engage the locking ctr differential in either 4wd Hi or 4wd Lo then you should also only operate the vehicle on wet or slippery surfaces.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.