Sequoia vs Yukon XL Size vs reliability. Need help - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Sequoia vs Yukon XL Size vs reliability. Need help

I have a family of 5. 3 small kids with maybe another on the way.

We took a look at the 2016 platinum yesterday and when trying to fit the double stroller in the cargo area, there was virtually no room for anything else like groceries etc.

How do families with multiple kids manage the space? Can the cargo be modified to go deeper like a minivan?

Then there is gmc. The size is there, the looks are there but reliability is not. So we would have to get the top of the line warranty that covers everything is my guess.

If it were you in this situation would you get the toyota or the gmc? Minivan is not our style nor personality so that's out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:54 AM

Re: Sequoia vs Yukon XL Size vs reliability. Need help

You need to do some more googling.... search for "Peoplle are getting sick from GM SUV's. Here a hint: Fullsize GM SUVs have a problem that's making owners sick - Autoblog.

Just 2 days ago I was reading an online article about the Tahoe/Surburban, stating that the car will lose more than 33% in the first year and more 50% of his value in the first 3 years. Now you’ll think folks around are aware of this but still buying them.

Depends on what you guys are looking for....

2016 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd03 View Post
I have a family of 5. 3 small kids with maybe another on the way.

We took a look at the 2016 platinum yesterday and when trying to fit the double stroller in the cargo area, there was virtually no room for anything else like groceries etc.

How do families with multiple kids manage the space? Can the cargo be modified to go deeper like a minivan?

Then there is gmc. The size is there, the looks are there but reliability is not. So we would have to get the top of the line warranty that covers everything is my guess.

If it were you in this situation would you get the toyota or the gmc? Minivan is not our style nor personality so that's out.

We also have 3 kids and when I was shopping for a sequoia I wanted a limited or sport with 7 passenger seating and the middle row walk through access. I found a SR5 premium that is loaded up with options like a limited. It has 8 passenger seating with the bench seat in the middle. I was going to take out the middle seat but after driving it for a few months we are going to leave it in. Our oldest rides in the smaller 3rd row seat on the passenger side. This leaves a large area for luggage on the right and behind the 3rd row. If we pack too much (happens often w/ 3 girls) the kids ride together in the 2nd row. You can get a limited with either 7 or 8 seating.

I was surprised by the amount of legroom in the second row. One of our kids is still in a rear facing car seat. I'm 6'3" and the seat fits behind me. When I compared the Tahoe and suburban the second row seemed smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Lurking Member

Here is picture of my kids seats

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 09:03 PM

My wife and I have newborn twins and a 3 and a half year old, all in car seats, all set up in the middle row. My wife has a 2015 Yukon SLT, but not a XL. I have a 2014 Sequoia SR5 4x4.

The Yukon is nice, it's got all the updated gadgets and is definitely more flashy, but feels less like a truck to me and more flimsy in areas. Where to me, the Sequoia feels and drives solid.

To me, the drive is extremely bouncy in the GMC to the point I brought it in to the dealer because I thought there was a failure with the suspension (just driving over a speed bump I feel like I'm in that scene from Ferris Bueller where the valet guys jump the Ferrari), but GMC said it's supposed to bounce like that. And it makes winding noises when you turn the wheel, but GMC also said it's supposed to make that sound. But my many Toyotas never made sounds like that nor did their ride ever compel me to brace myself out of fear of head trauma every time before I drove over railroad tracks.

Regarding reliability, in the 10K miles my wife put on her Yukon, we've brought it in for a check engine light from a bad gas cap, exterior appliqués falling off in the rain, a rubber gasket continuously falling off the back door area, and the ride issues. All covered by warranty, but all annoying. In 15K miles, I've only brought my Sequoia in to the dealer for oil changes.

Unless the XL has more leg room in the second and third rows than a normal Yukon, I think my Sequoia has more leg room than my wife's Yukon. And we need it, I'm 6'6, my wife is 5'10, and my 3 and a half year old is almost 4 feet tall. The cargo area of a normal Yukon is definitely cramped, I think more cramped than the Sequoia. The XL hopefully will give you the extra room you need.

I like my Sequoia but a few very noticeable things that the Yukon beats the Sequoia on is gas mileage and it is updated and looks modern (and I feel guilty saying this, but I think the new Yukons looks nicer than a stock Sequoia). All of these points are biggies. If I didn't buy a year old Sequoia used for $20K+ less than a new one, I wouldn't have got it because I can't justify in my mind buying something that has not been updated in so long for over $50K. But for less than $30K and under 40K mile, it was justifiable to me.

Regarding making more space in the cargo area of the Sequoia, you can remove that cargo area trunk lid, then unbolt the internal bin to make it deeper. But I'm unsure if that'll be deep enough for your purpose.

2014 Sequoia SR5 with many mods and more to come.

Last edited by MoSeq; 08-05-2016 at 09:52 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSeq View Post
My wife and I have newborn twins and a 3 and a half year old, all in car seats, all set up in the middle row. My wife has a 2015 Yukon SLT, but not a XL. I have a 2014 Sequoia SR5 4x4.

The Yukon is nice, it's got all the updated gadgets and is definitely more flashy, but feels less like a truck to me and more flimsy in areas. Where to me, the Sequoia feels and drives solid.

To me, the drive is extremely bouncy in the GMC to the point I brought it in to the dealer because I thought there was a failure with the suspension (just driving over a speed bump I feel like I'm in that scene from Ferris Bueller where the valet guys jump the Ferrari), but GMC said it's supposed to bounce like that. And it makes winding noises when you turn the wheel, but GMC also said it's supposed to make that sound. But my many Toyotas never made sounds like that nor did their ride ever compel me to brace myself out of fear of head trauma every time before I drove over railroad tracks.

Regarding reliability, in the 10K miles my wife put on her Yukon, we've brought it in for a check engine light from a bad gas cap, exterior appliqués falling off in the rain, a rubber gasket continuously falling off the back door area, and the ride issues. All covered by warranty, but all annoying. In 15K miles, I've only brought my Sequoia in to the dealer for oil changes.

Unless the XL has more leg room in the second and third rows than a normal Yukon, I think my Sequoia has more leg room than my wife's Yukon. And we need it, I'm 6'6, my wife is 5'10, and my 3 and a half year old is almost 4 feet tall. The cargo area of a normal Yukon is definitely cramped, I think more cramped than the Sequoia. The XL hopefully will give you the extra room you need.

I like my Sequoia but a few very noticeable things that the Yukon beats the Sequoia on is gas mileage and it is updated and looks modern (and I feel guilty saying this, but I think the new Yukons looks nicer than a stock Sequoia). All of these points are biggies. If I didn't buy a year old Sequoia used for $20K+ less than a new one, I wouldn't have got it because I can't justify in my mind buying something that has not been updated in so long for over $50K. But for less than $30K and under 40K mile, it was justifiable to me.

Regarding making more space in the cargo area of the Sequoia, you can remove that cargo area trunk lid, then unbolt the internal bin to make it deeper. But I'm unsure if that'll be deep enough for your purpose.
My brother in law has the extended length Chevy, I think it's the Tahoe? It has more room behind the 3rd row vs. the Sequoia with the 3rd row up ,but the 3rd row is a joke for passengers while the Sequoia has a useful 3rd row. The OP in this thread shouldn't be looking at a Platinum unless he wants to do an 8 passenger conversion like I did, an SR5 or Limited with a full 2nd row bench is going to be much more useful.
Methodical likes this.

3 Sets of Wheels for Sale Tundra/Sequoia
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1850105#post1850105
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSeq View Post

So does the platinum really have a smoother ride than the SR5? Or is it placebo?

The smoothest ride possible is also very important to me. I want to feel like the truck is riding on air. I tried the new 2016 yukons with the magnetic suspension and that ride felt glorious
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Lurking Member

Quote:
So does the platinum really have a smoother ride than the SR5? Or is it placebo?

The smoothest ride possible is also very important to me. I want to feel like the truck is riding on air. I tried the new 2016 yukons with the magnetic suspension and that ride felt glorious

I test drove a platinum before buying the sr5. It has a very smooth ride compared to SR5/ limited on "comfort" setting but I wouldn't use it for daily driving with turns. I would definitely use it for cruising down the freeway on road trips.

I didn't spend enough time driving on the middle air setting to see how it compares.

The sport setting was much firmer than SR5/limited. I don't think I would use it with the family in the car.

Test drive a platinum and spend some time in each mode on the same road. Make sure you take some turns too. I thought it was a great suspension but I'm worried about the long term reliability and repair costs in the salt roads of the north.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 PM

Garage

I have 3 kids and the '12 platinum.

I hindsight had i got a limited with the 2nd row bench we would have a lot more room for those family trips and runs to the grocery store. But my issue was with the suspension and the few extras you get with the Platinum I couldn't do without.

Mainly the BSM ( at he time was only a Platinum option) Rear air suspension ( biggest reason) and A/C front seats ( i live in HOT!! climate)

With the seven seats we make it work. We stick the oldest in the 3rd row, and fold down the 2 seat side of the third row if we need the extra space. otherwise I just fold down the single seat. I was looking at maybe fabricating a basket of sorts that would allow things to stay put and negate the risk of having gear slide on my kid in the 3rd row, that's really only an issue when we pack it up full.

Unfortunately here in the ME the dealer wouldn't take custom orders on the sequoia, You take what they bring in, so I couldn't customize the truck the way i wanted. or i would have put in the bench seating for the 2nd row.

The other thing I have since thought of would be to have purchased the limited then upgraded the suspension, cause based on the test drive of the two the limited was a much rougher ride.

Im currently looking at those thule overhead carrier and rear cargo basket that connects to the tow hitch, for those long trips or when we take a nephew or two with us on trips.

Rides
'12 Toyota Sequoia Platinum (Black)
Painted grill, mirrors, rear name plate, bumper grill, fog light housing, and headlight housing black. TRD RW on 33" 285/70/r17 Cooper AT/3, 30% tint all around 10% front.

'15 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (White)
'06 Audi A3 2.0 T (Lava Grey) (Sold )

Toys
'10 Yamaha Grizzly 700fi Special Edition (Dark Red)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I am unsure if my wife has the magnetic suspension. I think it was an option on the SLT trim, but standard on the Denali and maybe even on a non-Denali XL.

In retrospect, I think using the word "bouncy" to describe the ride in my wife's Yukon may be an inaccurate term, but I do not know a better one to paraphrase the feeling. That is, on smooth even terrain it drives great. However, driving through or over pot holes, uneven terrain, speed bumps, railroad tracks, etc., you feel these immense vibrations going through your body. My wife acts like she doesn't mind the feeling, so I didn't press the issue with GMC when their technicians said it drives like it was intended. But with me, I thought something was wrong with it, because I never felt a sensation like when driving one of my Toyotas. I find it really unpleasant. But hopefully the magnetic suspension in the XL your looking at will alleviate or nullify that issue.

2014 Sequoia SR5 with many mods and more to come.

Last edited by MoSeq; 08-07-2016 at 09:09 AM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_q8t View Post
I have 3 kids and the '12 platinum.

I hindsight had i got a limited with the 2nd row bench we would have a lot more room for those family trips and runs to the grocery store. But my issue was with the suspension and the few extras you get with the Platinum I couldn't do without.

Mainly the BSM ( at he time was only a Platinum option) Rear air suspension ( biggest reason) and A/C front seats ( i live in HOT!! climate)

With the seven seats we make it work. We stick the oldest in the 3rd row, and fold down the 2 seat side of the third row if we need the extra space. otherwise I just fold down the single seat. I was looking at maybe fabricating a basket of sorts that would allow things to stay put and negate the risk of having gear slide on my kid in the 3rd row, that's really only an issue when we pack it up full.

Unfortunately here in the ME the dealer wouldn't take custom orders on the sequoia, You take what they bring in, so I couldn't customize the truck the way i wanted. or i would have put in the bench seating for the 2nd row.

The other thing I have since thought of would be to have purchased the limited then upgraded the suspension, cause based on the test drive of the two the limited was a much rougher ride.

Im currently looking at those thule overhead carrier and rear cargo basket that connects to the tow hitch, for those long trips or when we take a nephew or two with us on trips.
Can you find an SR5 or Limited there that is totaled and convert it like I did? The holes in the floor that hold down the center console in the 2nd row are the same holes that hold the middle seat in the SR5/Limited. I have all the perks of the Platinum with the seating of an SR5/Limited. Ran me $1000 total including parts and install.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:41 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
Can you find an SR5 or Limited there that is totaled and convert it like I did? The holes in the floor that hold down the center console in the 2nd row are the same holes that hold the middle seat in the SR5/Limited. I have all the perks of the Platinum with the seating of an SR5/Limited. Ran me $1000 total including parts and install.
I can look and sure i can find one in the UAE but I wont find the red rock interior? I can always use seat covers I guess. or would someone know if i can get that leather from the manufacturer, I would have to match the leather or it would drive me crazy.

Rides
Painted grill, mirrors, rear name plate, bumper grill, fog light housing, and headlight housing black. TRD RW on 33" 285/70/r17 Cooper AT/3, 30% tint all around 10% front.

Toys
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:52 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
would the middle seat just slide in or would i need to change the entire row and remove the captain chairs?

Rides

Toys
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
would the middle seat just slide in or would i need to change the entire row and remove the captain chairs?
I know sure is somethings like that work. I found it in eBay

2014 2013 2012 2008 Sequoia Platinum Edition Brown Leather 2nd Row Middle Seat | eBay

Expensive solutions
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I can look and sure i can find one in the UAE but I wont find the red rock interior? I can always use seat covers I guess. or would someone know if i can get that leather from the manufacturer, I would have to match the leather or it would drive me crazy.
Before I did the switch I did a lot of research including finding matching leather to cover the seats in. I changed my mind because I figure they'd be covered in car seats anyhow. The company that supplies the leather to Toyota is called Eagle Ottawa.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page