Bad Smell From AC

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad Smell From AC

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Bad Smell From AC

I have an 08 Limited Sequoia with 32,500 mile on it, this is the second time that I am getting a bad smell from the AC. It's like a mildew/ dirty sock smell. Does anybody know what causes it? I have changed the cabin air filter 3 times already. The last time I took it 2 the dealer, they said it was just a dirty cabin air filter. Anybody have the same problem? Any solutions for this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    368 times

Default Re: Bad Smell From AC

Maybe there's a dead animal in there.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Dead mouse/rat could be it. Did you see the air filters from before?
    2007 RCSB |5.7 | TRD SC | JBA Headers | Auburn LSD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm also experiencing the same problem. '08 Limited with 32,000 miles. My musty smell seems to come after giving it a good hand washing, which leads me to believe that it is moisture related.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 2008 Tundra Crewmax and I have the same smell coming from my A/C. It is a mildew/musty smell and I don't know why. I too have changed the cabin filter and the problem has not gone away. I had a friend suggest that maybe the condensor was not draining properly and that mildew may be growing on the fins. I'm still checking into that. Whatever it is it sure does SUCK!!!

Liked
    39 times

I suggest turning off your AC and letting 'normal' air run through the system before shutting off the vehicle.
    2008 Sequoia Platinum (8 passenger) 4x4 5.7 V8; Debadged/30% tint over factory with 20% front/LED rear foglights/White Knight RLS/V-LEDs LPF/Silverstar Ultra/Lexus LS460 bi-xenon HID projectors with 5000k Osram CBI/Philips DRL8/Lockpic navigation override/Locking gas cap/TRD intake flow accelerator/K&N panel filter/K&N filter minder/5000k LED license plate bulbs/Big Daddy horns/SET exhaust tip/Factory color matched (B&I SEQUOIA emblem insert, brake calipers, side-view mirrors, b-pillars, c-pillars)/summer 22” Giovanna Caracas w/Yokohama Parada 305/45/22/winter 18" OEM steel wheels powder-coated black w/Bridgestone Dueler A/T "Revo 2" 255/70/18

Liked
    0 times

Same "problem" here on my '08. I've found that if you don't run in "Auto" mode (which I usually don't), every time you restart the recirculate button goes on, cutting off your outside air (mine does anyway). I always hated this, and the dealer said he would reprogram it, for a fee of course, so I just live with it.

This same smell happens to me once in a while, and my solution is to turn off the AC, turn off recirculate, and turn the fan on full high for a while (maybe 5-10-15 minutes). Somewhere in the plumbing, there's water sitting somewhere that gets musty/mildewy, most likely from no fresh air coming in from the recirculate button being on a lot. Running the fan on full blast for a while in this "mode" dries things up and clears out the water, wherever it may be, and the smell disappears. Works for me.

I don't think the cabin filter has anything to do with it.

Good luck!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I had the same problem last year on my 08 Sequoia and the dealer said that I could have them run it through their machine for $90, or he suggested to get a couple cans of Lysol. With the truck running and the vents open spray the Lysol in the vent located under the passenger side windshield. A couple of those treatments did the trick. I now make sure the re-circulate light is on for the vents while going thru the car wash and have not had any problems since.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My '09 does that.
    I'll blow out the condenser drain, (you know where it drips water when A/C runs...) I think it is just like your home A/C drain. You need to poor a little bleach in the one at home sometimes. In the car, we can't easily get to it to do that, so gunk-funk builds up and stops the drain up - maybe not even all the way. Water stands and viola` - ya gotta musty smell - tis what I think... So I blow it out with me trusty air gun - just a little bit of air!!!!!

Liked
    172 times
    Images

Condensation + dust = musty smell. They make duct spray or you can take it to the dealer to have the ducts cleaned. If you have the patience you can clean them yourself.

07 5.7 Metallic Slate DC / 15" custom lift
    * Total Chaos LT upper A arms
    * 37" Toyo Open Country's
    * 20" KMC XD Monsters
    * N-Fab nerf steps
    * N-Fab light bar
    * (4) 9" ProComp quarts Halogens
    * Banks Monster Single Exhaust
    * G-Tek Fab Stock Air Box Mod Kit
    * G-Tek Fab Air Dam
    * G-Tek Fab Carbide Texture Black Door Sill Protectors
    etc, etc bla, bla, bla........

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Its from mildew forming on the A/C condensor. What you need is this stuff:

1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Treatment

You shoot it into the A/C center vent (use the whole can in a single treatment). It foams up and kills all the mildew. I used it in my Audi S4 and it took care of the problem. I would also replaced the cabin filter at the same time to be sure the problem did not originate there.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I got the same problem, but we only had the Seqouia 2012 for 2 weeks before the smell happened...
    I had the same problem with my Toyota Fortuner in Thailand and always blamed it on my sonīs athletes feet, because he always took off his shoes as soon as he got into the carīs front seat. Changed filters or deep cleaing the A/C helped for a few weeks, then the smell returned.

In Thailand I ALWAYS used recirculated air....to keep the car cleaner....after 6 year, vents were look as new....no dust or grim.

But a new car should not have this problem....unless it is my sonīs feet!!!

Will try the suggestion of shutting off AUTO and fanning out the problem.....

Thanks for the suggestions

14. 05-16-2012, 11:47 PM

Banned

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Same problem here too. Gonna try the Lysol trick.

2008 SEQUOIA LIMITED 4X4, NAV(hack), REAR DVD, Luminics JDM Yellow H10

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Haven't had any issues yet, but only 3000 miles on my puppy.
    Musty smell = mold = leak Never a good thing. Hope you get your issue solved quickly.

Liked
    79 times

I'm having same issues. I steam cleaned my my carpets and seats (shampoo) and dried, but smell returned. What is the "lysol" trick?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.