1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums Ė General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't get a picture on OEM Backup Camera, Please Help!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Can't get a picture on OEM Backup Camera, Please Help!

I decided to install the OEM Backup camera and drop down monitor on my 2008 Sequoia SR5. I have put everything in following the instructions but when I put it in reverse the screen flickers for a second but it stays black.

I have double checked and then checked again all connections. Everything has power and I have also checked the camera cable for continuity and everything checks out. I know for sure that I have power to the camera and power going to the monitor.

The instructions for the camera say to attach the black wire from the camera harness to the black wire in pin 4, the red wire to from the camera harness to the red wire in pin 2 and the blue wire from the camera to the white wire in pin 3. I have done this and I have checked it countless times again. There is a blue wire in pin 1 that is un-used; do I need that wire for something?

I don't see how I could of mess up connecting the monitor since it was just one connection. I did verify that it is getting power.

I have been at this for over 5 hours trying to figure out what is wrong and I am getting beyond frustrated with it. I would like to avoid going to the dealership. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Can't get a picture on OEM Backup Camera, Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by goodwin032903 View Post
    I decided to install the OEM Backup camera and drop down monitor on my 2008 Sequoia SR5. I have put everything in following the instructions but when I put it in reverse the screen flickers for a second but it stays black.

I have double checked and then checked again all connections. Everything has power and I have also checked the camera cable for continuity and everything checks out. I know for sure that I have power to the camera and power going to the monitor.

The instructions for the camera say to attach the black wire from the camera harness to the black wire in pin 4, the red wire to from the camera harness to the red wire in pin 2 and the blue wire from the camera to the white wire in pin 3. I have done this and I have checked it countless times again. There is a blue wire in pin 1 that is un-used; do I need that wire for something?

I don't see how I could of mess up connecting the monitor since it was just one connection. I did verify that it is getting power.

I have been at this for over 5 hours trying to figure out what is wrong and I am getting beyond frustrated with it. I would like to avoid going to the dealership. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    to test your camera plug the blue wire to a 12v wire to power up the camera. Then if that works, try finding the power wire on the reverse light. I think it was blue/red. Pull the reverse bulb out and put a voltmeter to it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The blue wire coming from the camera is a ground, the red wire is the video signal and the black wire is the power. (I know the colors donít make sense) I have been able to verify that the camera is getting power.

I have even got rid those clamp on connectors and soldered on different connectors to guarantee a good connection, still didnít work.

I am starting to suspect the camera unit is bad. I donít know of a way to verify a video signal is coming from the camera or a way to send a different signal to the monitor to verify that works. That is the only thing that I have been unable to test.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I am still having problems with this backup camera install. Itís starting to get really frustrating.

I have tested the monitor out to verify that it works by taking a portable DVD player and connecting the video and ground to the wires in the tailgate and I had a movie playing on the drop down monitor. So I was convinced that the camera unit I had was bad and TRDsparks.com agreed that it sounded like the camera was bad so they sent me a new one.

Well, I just got the replacement camera today and went to install it and I am having the same problem. (No picture on the monitor) I verified again that it was getting power, itís getting 6.5v. I also tested the monitor again with the DVD player and a Disney movie started playing on the monitor. I have also verified that the cable that came with the camera doesnít have any breaks in it by doing a continuity check. I even did the idiot check and verified that I was still in reverse. I also got rid of those snap on connectors and soldered connectors on to ensure that I had a good connection.

The only thing that I can figure is that the camera needs 12v to work or that this camera is bad too.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I really donít want to have to take it into the dealership and pay to have them figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

When you say OEM camera, what camera did you install? Part number? Did you double check harness in overhead, or the drop down monitor itself? The volts do vary, depending on what camera you have installed. Some are 6V and some are 12V.
    2008 Sequoia Limited- 20" XD Hoss Black, 305/55 Nittos, 5100 Bilsteins f&r, RecTech coil spacers rear, overhead DVD, 2011 nav, OBX pedals and shifter, black grill emblem, Iron Cross Tundra Steps,
    2010 Tundra Platinum- 20" XD Addicts Machined, 305/55 Nittos, 5100 Bilsteins f&r, OBX pedals and shifter, Custom Tundra T grill emblem on black 2011 grill, rhino liner, black 6 step Predator bars
    2010 Camry SE- 19" Axis Hiros, 245/40 Hankook, OBX pedals and shifter

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Did you have to tap rev wire?
    2008 Sequoia Limited- 20" XD Hoss Black, 305/55 Nittos, 5100 Bilsteins f&r, RecTech coil spacers rear, overhead DVD, 2011 nav, OBX pedals and shifter, black grill emblem, Iron Cross Tundra Steps,
    2010 Tundra Platinum- 20" XD Addicts Machined, 305/55 Nittos, 5100 Bilsteins f&r, OBX pedals and shifter, Custom Tundra T grill emblem on black 2011 grill, rhino liner, black 6 step Predator bars
    2010 Camry SE- 19" Axis Hiros, 245/40 Hankook, OBX pedals and shifter

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.