How to make my sr5 so smart it will never be backed into anything.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to make my sr5 so smart it will never be backed into anything.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How to make my sr5 so smart it will never be backed into anything.

Hey guys. I'm new to the sequoia after finally saying goodbye to our 7.3 excursion. Although the sequoia is a lot more manageable than the excursion, I'd still like to provide my wife with some electronic help.

So I've run into the following questions

backup camera and mirror monitor:
    Is there any pre-installed wiring up in the roof or should I just start from scratch?
    Any suggestions on where I should install the camera? Since I don't have a factory one it seems it could be installed up by the brake light, drilled into the side of the door handle, drilled into the bumper, or mounted to the hitch area.

Parking sensors:

I'm thinking of installing the kit of 8 or 6 sensors like this:
    Amazon.com: Digital LED Display, 6 Sensors (2 Front/4 Rear White) Car Backup System (SD6): Car Electronics

What would be the best method for running the wires from back to front?

Here's our new baby.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    32 times

I dk if they r prewired but it is easy to check, just pop off the first panel on the ceiling console. I imagine it should b incase somebody wants to add it. R u putting the sensors on the front also? If u do think about where u need them the most because I have the stock on the front corners n I would like to move them more to the front face, sense they r on the corner when I go thru the drive thru its nonstop beeping but they r good for the wife cause she's not used to judging the distance when parking. Also how do the aftermarket sensors alert u (thru the stereo or comes with speaker)?

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Liked
    5 times

Default Re: How to make my sr5 so smart it will never be backed into anything.

I have to admit I got a little chuckle out of your post. My wife was the same way when we bought the "Beast". Certainly you will want the backup monitor and sensors, but more important is wife training. There 2 scenarios that neither a camera or sensors are going to help. 1) An object up high, say a garage door not fully open, or perhaps a pipe pointed at the rear window. 2) Any fast moving object that comes from a blind spot. ie, a child running behind the car, a low scooter zipping by, people walking past the rear in a parking lot, etc. You may see them with the camera and even get a sensor to fire, but the reaction time is just too long to usually avoid an impact. I gradually have gotten my wife to be more comfortable with the beast and built up her "awareness" in the limitations of the technology and what she "also" needs to look out for. Most importantly, I tell my wife "It's just a car, don't worry about breaking or scratching it, just be careful not to injure other people or yourself." That is the utmost importance. Good luck with the install, but be sure the wife uses the tech as a double-check and doesn't become dependent on it. (Stops turning head when backing up, etc.) It's easy to develop bad driving habits this way. BTW, Where are you at in MT?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

doubleds65 , I was planning on putting them up front. You bring up a good point about location and the ability to turn them off. After driving it a bit, I think if I had 6 sensors I'd end up with one one the nose and one on the passenger front corner. I like the idea of integrating a switch to kill the buzzer. The excursion had that and we used it every time we towed while in reverse. I'll try and track down an oem switch to utilize.

Dan, Thanks for the comments. I agree with the driver training. We saw the limitation of the backup sensors in the excursion as she took out a mailbox. Honestly, if these add-ons were going to total $600+ I'd probably think twice, but the sensor sets are between $40 and $100 and the backup camera setup is only a couple hundred total. I figure if I can keep us out of the shop one time it will pay for itself.

We went to school in Bozeman, but currently live in Georgia due to work. Where are you?

Liked
    12 times

I agree with what D65 said. Check to see if the car is prewired. Pop the blank button off and see if there's a connector behind it. It could possibly make things much easier. I'll have to take a pic of the button for the location or just check a limited or platinum Sequoia out.

Liked
    6 times

Ive learned pretty quick not to rely on the "Sonar" especially in the front. ive already knocked a low wall while parking in a space, only because i didnt go with my better judgement and waited to hear the Sonar beep.

Comparing it to my Range the "Sonar" is a bit of a joke.
    Rides
    '12 Toyota Sequoia Platinum(Black)
    '12 Range Rover Sport Supercharged(Ornkey Gray)
    '06 Audi A3 2.0 T (Lava Grey)
    Toys
    '10 Yamaha Grizzly 700fi Special Edition(Dark Red)

Liked
    5 times

I thought about this some more and if you're going rogue with a custom install, I think the best camera location would be up by the spoiler somewhere, perhaps in the third light. This would give you a more "bird's eye" view of things. The stock camera is reallly only about waist height pointing downward so it really misses a lot. Sonar has been on and off for me. Sometimes it seems sensitive, but there have been at least two occaisons where the wife had to use her passenger brake because I got too close backing up, sonar didn't go off. Perhaps their performance diminishes when they are super dirty? I live down in the Bitterroots with the Hillbillies. Lots of good off-road territory to explore, just don't have the vehicle outfitted properly yet.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the good input guys. I agree with the camera being high after thinking about it a bit as well. We put a hitch bike rack on the back and that meant that the camera would be completely ineffective once loaded up with bikes, but if it's high it should still show a good view.

I'm wondering about the quality of the sonar as well. It seems that some people are thrilled with the generic setups on amazon, but it is interesting considering an individual sensor was $70 on the excursion and they are so much less expensive generic.

This gives me a good starting point though. Thanks!

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Should be prewired for the factory camera. My 08 sr5 was.
    New Ride 2008 White Sequoia SR5 4x4 5.7
    Flowmaster 50 Series SUV
    6000k HIDs Fog & Low Beam
    OEM Reverse Camera
    Projector Retro
    SMD Leds
    Airlift 1000 & Loadcontroller II
    White Gauges & Silver Needles

Sold:

2005 Titanium 4WD SR5 V6

Liked
    0 times

[QUOTE=mikefrommt;1851540]Hey guys. I'm new to the sequoia after finally saying goodbye to our 7.3 excursion. Although the sequoia is a lot more manageable than the excursion, I'd still like to provide my wife with some electronic help.

My wife turned off the sonar because it was beeping and the camera lens was dirty. Crunched the rear bumper. She also drove my Escalade into a 45 degree corner in the garage because she thought it had sonar on the front. The Caddy didn't even scratch but the wall didn't fair to well. She refuses to drive my Camaro for fear she will scuff it too.

Long story long. I wouldn't rely on sonar because not every vehicle has it .
    Speed is a substitute for clearance.

Liked
    4 times

Training and time behind the wheel is what's going to make her better. As one of the poster stated above, she should not rely on the camera and sonar alone and continue using old school techniques. I always turn my head and backup, regardless of the camera and sonar; they just provide me with a warning that something is around or maybe around me, so I cautiously continue backing up. Just One Man's Opinion.

I'd like to see photos of your install when completed.

Al

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.