Question 2008+ Sequoia Platinum - Aftermarket Wheels: 18" or 20"?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008+ Sequoia Platinum - Aftermarket Wheels: 18" or 20"?

Liked
    0 times

Default 2008+ Sequoia Platinum - Aftermarket Wheels: 18" or 20"?

Hi all:

I'm nearing the end of the tread life for the factory Dunlops (275/55/20) on my 2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum (black) and am taking the opportunity to swap out the wheels as well as the tires.

I've pretty much decided that I'll want to put on the Revtek 442 lift kit so I have the most flexibility with my options.

After about a month of wheel research and visits to 4 Wheel Parts and Discount Tire, I had narrowed my wheel choices down to the MHT Fuel Hostage thanks to this post and the MB Wheels Stryker thanks to this post for helping me see them on a Tundra. At this point, I'm leaning towards the MB Wheels Stryker, but I'm curious for other opinions on the size.

I'm trying to decide between the 18" x 8.5" (10 mm offset) and the 20" x 9" (18 mm offset) wheels. What do you think? Is 18" too small for a vehicle this size? I like the increased sidewall as I would still go 32" or 33" in total tire diameter. What about ride comfort 18" vs 20"? Thoughts?

Here are some pics of the 18" and 20" wheels on a black Sequoia (like mine) from the Discount Tire tool:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SEQUOIA2008.000000.mbmstr.18.bmf.png 
Views:	936 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	93563 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SEQUOIA2008.000000.mbmstr.20.bmf.png 
Views:	2090 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	93564

I'm leaning toward the Nitto Terra Grapplers in the LT285/65R18 E125R if I go with the 18" rims or the LT305/55R20 E121S if I go with the 20" rims. I was able to compare stock tire sizes and the effect on tire sizes from the tire calculator on Discount Tire's website. I also considered the Cooper LTZ Zeon's, the Bridgestone Revo 2, the General Grabbers, and the Michelin LTX AT2. It ultimately comes down to what is going to be aggressive looking but quiet on the road. Thoughts?

I live in Raleigh, NC and drive to the mid-west occasionally, so these tires won't see snow very often. The Sequoia is primarily my daily driver, soccer game hauler, and family cruiser. I'm replacing the wheels and adding more aggressive tires primarily for the look as I do minimal offroading, but would like the ability to take the Sequoia onto the sand at the beach occasionally.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts/opinions!!!

Regards,
    Todd
    2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum with the following mods:
    o Prestigious Society Navigation Nanny bypass
    o Revtek 442 leveling kit
    o Nitto Terra Grappler 305/60R18
    o MB Wheels Stryker 18"x8.5" (5x150)

o Thule Atlantis 1800BXT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Default Re: 2008+ Sequoia Platinum - Aftermarket Wheels: 18" or 20"?

I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 2011 Sequoia and decided on going with an 18-inch wheel. I liked the look provided by the 18s as they gave the truck a more aggressive, off-road look. I don't find them too small at all. As mine is a Limited, I got the Revtek 441 kit for the front and back. Very happy with the look. Check out my pics to see if you like the look of a slightly smaller wheel. All depends on the look you're after.
    2011 Toyota Sequoia Ltd. - TRD CAI, Revtek Lift Kit, Toyota OEM Hood Deflector, Toyota OEM Door Sill Protectors, WeatherTech floor mats, Husky Liner Cargo Liner, Bushwacker OE Fender Flares, G2 Red painted brake calipers, Air Lift 1000 airbags for towing, Fuel Off Road Throttle 18-inch wheels w/305/60 Nitto Terra Grapplers, B&I Sequoia inserts (painted black) for rear tailgate, DeeZee Ultrablack Grille Guard

2006 Hyundai Elantra GT
    2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara
    1998 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE
    1997 Honda Valkyrie GL1500 CT Tourer
    1990 Honda VFR750F

Liked
    0 times

CaribooSequoia,

Thanks for the info. I believe I saw your pictures previously when I was looking around the site, but thanks for pointing me back to them. I like the look of the larger side wall too. I might be able to save myself a good chunk of change by going that route. I priced out the two and it is about $400 cheaper for the 18x8.5 with the LT285/65R18 E125R Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Was the ride quality better with the lift and the 18" wheels than the OEM 20" wheels?

What's your experience with road noise with the Nitto Terra Grapplers?

How did your gas mileage change going to the wider 305/60's?

Regards,
    Todd

o Thule Atlantis 1800BXT

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Hi Todd,

I found the ride quality to be almost identical to stock with the new set up, however, the Nitto Terra Grapplers I went with were a D-rated tire. Thought about going to an E-rated tire with a higher load rating but, after talking to a friend who did that, decided to stick with the D. He said the E-rated tire ruined the ride as the sidewalls were far too stiff. With the D tire, the load rating was still higher than stock and that was all I was concerned about as I pull a trailer. One thing I should mention is that with the wider tires, the Sequoia has a tendency to wander on roads with ruts in the pavement due to heavy highway trucks. Being so wide they always seem to be riding on the edge of the rut and it can be a bit unnerving until you get used to it. Others I know with tires this wide have mad the same complaint. If you're planning on going with a narrower tire this won't be an issue, particularly if those road conditions don't exist in your area.

Road noise was just a little louder than stock but not so much that I even noticed. As for fuel economy, it was hard to say. Seemed about the same according to the trip computer as the 305/60 are pretty close in circumference to the stock tires. The only hit we took was city mileage was ever so slightly lower but not enough to complain about.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

John
    2011 Toyota Sequoia Ltd. - TRD CAI, Revtek Lift Kit, Toyota OEM Hood Deflector, Toyota OEM Door Sill Protectors, WeatherTech floor mats, Husky Liner Cargo Liner, Bushwacker OE Fender Flares, G2 Red painted brake calipers, Air Lift 1000 airbags for towing, Fuel Off Road Throttle 18-inch wheels w/305/60 Nitto Terra Grapplers, B&I Sequoia inserts (painted black) for rear tailgate, DeeZee Ultrablack Grille Guard

2006 Hyundai Elantra GT
    2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara
    1990 Honda VFR750F

Liked
    3 times

Keep us posted with what you decide. I decided to get the TG's in 275/60/20 to put on the stock rims/ stock height setup. Won't happen probably until this fall, but I'd like to hear more comments about them before I pull the trigger. I did notice they have a low weight rating in this size for 20". I guess that is just a limitation of the rim width.
    Last edited by DNA Dan; 02-01-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Liked
    0 times

I went with Hankook in E rating and have been very pleased. Great in rain, good in snow and sand. They have developed a loud drone at 40 mph so I avoid driving at that speed when possible and I will not purchase this tire again. Like Cariboo mentioned, city mileage went down but my last 400 mile road trip was at 18.9 mpg. I have been very pleased with the lift, 33" AT tires, and handling.
    Bilstein 5100 2 1/2" lift front, bilstein 5100 HD rear with 2 1/2" Revtec lift, Hankook 275/70-18 Dynapro AT tires, Corsa catback.

Liked
    3 times

You might want to also add the Falken WildPeak A/T to your list.I have read a lot of good things about that tire as well. I think it just depends on what is your main reason for purchasing the tire and can you live with the drawbacks. (ie, increased noise, possibly stiffer ride, poorer gas mileage, etc.)

Liked
    0 times

Thanks to everyone who has responded in this thread as well as the many others who don't even know that they helped with their pictures and postings!

I pulled the trigger today and ordered Nitto Terra Grappler 305/60R18 and MB Wheels Stryker 18x8.5 to put the new rubber on. Additionally, I ordered the Revtek 442 and will be getting that put on as well. Now, I just need to wait the next week or so until it all gets here!

I will definitely post some before and after pictures!

Regards,
    Todd

o Thule Atlantis 1800BXT

Liked
    0 times

Wheels & tires arrived yesterday...

Still waiting on the Revtek lift kit to arrive...

o Thule Atlantis 1800BXT

Liked
    0 times

Everything arrived and is installed!

- Revtek 442 leveling kit
    - Nitto Terra Grappler 305/60R18
    - MB Wheels Stryker 18"x8.5" (5x150)

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22563 
Size:	695.5 KB 
ID:	94311

Views:	782 
Size:	335.5 KB 
ID:	94312

Views:	1713 
Size:	592.5 KB 
ID:	94313

Views:	1002 
Size:	519.2 KB 
ID:	94314

Views:	1778 
Size:	689.4 KB 
ID:	94315

o Thule Atlantis 1800BXT

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Lookin' sharp!

2006 Hyundai Elantra GT
    2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara
    1990 Honda VFR750F

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a Platinum and was wondering about the revtek 442 kit. How do you adjust the rear suspension on our SUV s?

Liked
    37 times

Quote Originally Posted by coiler View Post
    I have a Platinum and was wondering about the revtek 442 kit. How do you adjust the rear suspension on our SUV s?
    Somehow you adjust the rear factory air suspension to maintain the rear lift.
    2008 Sequoia Platinum (8 passenger) 4x4 5.7 V8; Debadged/30% tint over factory with 20% front/LED rear foglights/White Knight RLS/V-LEDs LPF/Silverstar Ultra/Lexus LS460 bi-xenon HID projectors with 5000k Osram CBI/Philips DRL8/Lockpic navigation override/Locking gas cap/TRD intake flow accelerator/K&N panel filter/K&N filter minder/5000k LED license plate bulbs/Big Daddy horns/SET exhaust tip/Factory color matched (B&I SEQUOIA emblem insert, brake calipers, side-view mirrors, b-pillars, c-pillars)/summer 22 Giovanna Caracas w/Yokohama Parada 305/45/22/winter 18" OEM steel wheels powder-coated black w/Bridgestone Dueler A/T "Revo 2" 255/70/18

Liked
    0 times

Thanks Cariboo!

As for questions about lifting the rear, check out this thread:

Has anyone Lifted a 08+ Platinum Sequoia?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Todd

o Thule Atlantis 1800BXT

Liked
    3 times

So how do you like the ride quality of the 18" over the stock 20's? I am thinking of doing this as well. I just like the "meaty" look of seeing more tire there. I don't have the flare fenders, so not quite sure how much different it would look from your setup. Nice choice you made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast