2004 Sienna - Power Sliding Door Cable Snapped - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2004 Sienna - Power Sliding Door Cable Snapped

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2004 Sienna - Power Sliding Door Cable Snapped

quigleykat,

I have a 2006 Sienna with 47000 miles and the door is not working. The dealer said it'll cost approximately $2000 to replace the motor and cable unit. I called Toyota's 800 number and they opened a claim number to pretend to help. Intially they said I'll be contact by Toyota within 3 days for the decision, but it took 10 days to get a NO answer.

I tried to get the contact info for the District manager who would make the decision, but they said only the local Toyota dealer can talk to him and advised me to talk to the local "Customer Relations Manager". Lol......that's just a fancy title of the service manager and warrantee administrator at the local dealership.

I was never able to even talk with the service manager directly. His attitude was don't call us, we'll call you! I got 1 status update and the final answer from the receptionist, after I called them.

While researching this issue on the internet I only found 1 person, Maria2, on this thread who said she was able to get Toyota to split the cost since "she has a good history with Toyota"

Since 1997, all my cars were NEW Toyotas; 1997 4runner, 2006 Sienna, 2008 4runner, 2009 Lexus. I still own 3 Toyota products. I don't know what qualifies as a "good history".

I would recommend you go to the NHTSA website listed above and file an anonymous complaint. This is the only way to get Toyota to address this safety/reliability issue.

I wish you luck......

This is my second Toyota in a row with quality issues. The first was a '97 4runner which leaked coolant into the transmission through the transmission cooler. This had over 100k miles so I considered it wear and tear.

They built ther reputation on service, quality and reliability but it's only a perception now. Oh what a feeling! Now their new slogan is "Your safety is what drives us". Ha! If I can't open the door so my 4 and 6 yr old children can get out in an emergency, without paying $2000 for their obvious defect, isn't that a big safety issue?

After this experience with Toyota I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA AGAIN and convience others to do the same.
    Last edited by jazzyone; 10-15-2010 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Text

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Power Door Sliders Class Action Lawsuit Forming!

Please visit this facebook page and click on Like to start a class action law suit asap!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toyot...033754?sk=info

Thank You.
    05 Sienna XLE Ltd FWD Artic Frost/Stone
    Nav, Rear DVD, Laser Cruise, Xenons, Park Distance Control

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hey guys I just got my cables fixed at a fraction of the price of the dealer. I did take it out myself and installed it myself. Took a couple hours taking it off and putting it back in. It cost me $350 for the cable rebuild, and incase you're wondering I got my cables rebuilt at www.bensonsautola.com !!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Kuz, can you show step by step how you did it? I took the motor and cable assembly out on driver side with the window intact but very hard to do. I can't seem to get the window out of the door. Also, there are 2 cables, one runs to the back near the trunk and I don't know where the other one is supposed to be installed. Anyone know?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Within the last couple of days, I received a letter from Toyota regarding my 2004 Sienna van (and some later model year vans) with auto sliding side doors. They are replacing the failed/failing parts, but there's a hitch. They are doing this as an extended warranty. If you have greater than 120k miles, you may have some fighting to do.

It's been since 2007 that these have been failing. Why has it taken so long?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hi Everyone!

We are offering a special Christmas sales pricing on our cable rebuilding service, for 2 weeks only from December 1st 2012 to December 15th 2012.

If the cables on your EDM Electric Door Motor Assembly are damaged, broken or cut, we will rebuild your EDM unit with brand new cables with a 90 day warranty, provide you will instructions and pictures on how to remove it yourself!

If you are interested please come to our website:
    Benson's Auto Dismantling (323)583-8941 | Your Destination for Automotive Parts & Services

Happy Holidays!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Attempt6 View Post
    Just called local dealer - says part (motor + cable) is $1000, plus labor.

WTF!
    From what I am hearing, your $1000 is a heck of a good deal! I am getting reports of anywhere from $1800 to $3000. My passenger side cable just snapped on my 2004 Sienna LTD AWD, while my wife was out of state with the van. She said she had a heck of a time getting the door to close, but thankfully she was able to get it closed. I'll be honest, I would be ok with paying the money IF I can be assured by Toyota that the fix is a permanent resolution, and the problem will not recur. I am a do-it-yourselfer, and I'm thinking this job might be above my ability (coming from a person who has done head gaskets, and a motor swap in my last minivan) I am very disappointed with this issue. I've had nothing but GM's for the last 25 years; I've always fixed them myself, but finally decided in March to switch to Toyota for reliability. (always heard how great they are) This type of problem does not inspire confidence with me in Toyotas. Perhaps I should have stuck with what I knew. It's going to be an expensive fix, so I really hope it's a permanent fix. The motor is expensive and the labor is extremely difficult (perhaps beyond my ability), so I guess I need to get the checkbook this time. Come on Toyota, how do you expect to keep up with the Odyssey with these issues???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.