1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2004 Sienna Right Side power door problem

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2004 Sienna Right Side power door problem

I have a 2004 Sienna that started having a problem with the right side power door recently. When I pull the door handle from the outside, the door opens and shuts as expected however, when I use any of the remote buttons it acts as if the latches that hold the door shut/open don't release so the door won't automatically open or shut as it should, although it tries and fails. Is the the ECU causing the problem or could it be something else? If it is the ECU, does anybody know what the part number is so I can make sure I order the correct part.

I have had the battery checked.... good. I have performed the reset a couple of times to see if that is it.... no luck. We currently have it turned off until I figure out what the problem is. I understand it is a pricey fix for the dealer to perform and I can do it myself if I can get the right part.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by slthomson; 04-30-2008 at 12:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2004 Sienna Right Side power door problem

I did some looking after some post on the siennaclub forum to further diagnose the problem. I believe both Motors are working properly. When the door close or open works properly, the door opens and shuts completely. So both the wench and soft close motors are working properly. I have now seen a couple of times where simply pulling the handle doesn't get the door lock mechanism to disengage and a soft tug on the door is required to get it going.

This leads to another question. Looking at the components diagram that was so generously provided, I think my problem is somewhere in the components associated with the Slide Door Lock mechanism. If the door button or handle is pulled in the case where it will not shut. The Motors try to close the door as you can see it move about a 1/8 of an inch and then when the lock doesn't release it stops. If I had to guess, I would guess the Slide Door Lock Actuator Assy or the Slide Door Full Open Stop Lock Assy. However, not having any experience with these mechanisms, I am asking any experts. With the description above to augment the initial description what would be your guess as the part to go after?

It occurs on both Open and Close consistently when using the button and intermittently using the door handle. In all cases the motors try to do their job, but when the door lock doesn't release, it stops. I have checked and rechecked the child safety lock and that does not appear to be the culprit. If it isn't the motors or the ECU, what could it be. I have tried the reset procedure a couple of times as well.

Any help would be appreciated. Attached is the pdfs supplied by other forum.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have the same problem with that door also. I wonder if this is a common problem.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have had this problem with my 2005 Sienna as well. When it first happened I turned it off for a week and it worked when I turned it on. I did this a couple of times and sometimes it worked but now it doesn't at all. I have an appointment this week with the dealer and would love to find a solution before that. Please let me know if anyone finds out. The first time it happened was the same day that my battery died - it looks like this may be related from reading other postings but I'm not sure how to test it or reset. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I am having the same problem. I also noticed that when I push the button I don't hear a click that was there before trying to unlock the latch. BTW, where is the PDF diagram that mentioned in the post?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I've had a similar problem with the right side (passenger) door, but it's gone away, for now. (2004 model)

The Left side door's cable just snapped, though. It's rather frustrating in that once the cable has snapped, components of the system are scratching the paint. I've removed as much of the plastic bits and the spring, but there is still a metal pin that is rubbing against the side of the van. Going to make an appointment. Thought I read somewhere on this forum about the cables snapping. Still researching...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I having a diffrent problem. My door works when it wants to? Like the handle is broke. The door itself works fine but the handle feels like its not grabbing. It dont work even if I overide the power.

Liked
    0 times

Looks like the 2004 Sienna has several issues with their power doors.
    Last edited by caramel; 11-29-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Anyone have the part number for the 2004 Sienna passenger side power motor latch release assembly? The problem described in this thread just started happening to me today. The motor is shot and no longer has the torque to pull the handle hard enough to release the latch. Works fine if I pop the latch myself.
    ----------------
    Tacoma V6 Auto 4x4 Double Cab 128"
    White
    TRD Off-Road

TRD CAT Back Exhaust, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Mats, Wildcat Flash Nerf Bars, Prodigy Brake Controller, In Dash cell phone mount, Cargo Bars w/Thule Ski & Bike Attachments, Toyo Open Country A/T Tires (Stock Size)

26' Travel Trailer GVWR 6000# with 800# WD hitch.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have the same problem with my passenger side door, the motor does not pull the latch over to release the door but if i do it manually it works is the motor expensive? if it is does anyone know how to just make it a manual door? ive released the little arm from the motor and can make it work manually but it wont lock cant figure out why? need some suggestions please.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have this problem and it just started today. I don't know if I should take it in or just try to wait it out-- any one get any answers?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have the same problem with my 04 sienna and found out that the electric motor inside the actuator is going bad, dealer only sale the whole assy. around $570. Check online and found out that the 97-01 camry have almost exact actuator except for a few missing component. can someone check and see if there any other toyota model cars is using the same lock actuator. I think what we can do is taking the electric motor from those actuator and replace with the one on our car. Camry 97-01 door lock actuator only cost $28.75 online.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by soyoson View Post
    I have the same problem with my 04 sienna and found out that the electric motor inside the actuator is going bad, dealer only sale the whole assy. around $570. Check online and found out that the 97-01 camry have almost exact actuator except for a few missing component. can someone check and see if there any other toyota model cars is using the same lock actuator. I think what we can do is taking the electric motor from those actuator and replace with the one on our car. Camry 97-01 door lock actuator only cost $28.75 online.
    Do you have a part number for the $28.75 Camry door lock actuator motor? I have the door apart but I have not removed the lock/actuator yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.