DIY Sienna power sliding door latch release replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sienna power sliding door latch release replacement

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Sienna power sliding door latch release replacement

The electric latch release on the power sliding door of my 2004 Sienna failed. Door would try to open but would not unlatch. Manual handle still worked. Dealer said it would be $1200 to fix. I bought the part and installed myself. Have pictures and step by step instructions of the installation process if anyone needs them. Took about 3 hours.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Default Re: Sienna power sliding door latch release replacement

I would like to see the instructions as I have the same failure on my 2005 Sienna.

Liked
    333 times
    Images

This has been covered before. Search "Sienna" forum and type in "door" in "search this forum". If you find the door works intermittently or does the start stop thing Mustang 67408 says it is the ecu for the door. About $270 to replace which is much cheaper than doing the entire motor. My moms van does exact same thing. I just have not gotten off my butt to order a new one. Attached is pdf that mustang gave me of location of ecu. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the pdf Victor.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cheapskate; 11-28-2010 at 07:15 AM.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Here are my notes. Good luck fixing the problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    shooflypie likes this.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Thanks. Great notes and I think I have a different problem. The passenger door will not open when you pull the inside/outside handle or press the button by the door. It does open if you push the overhead button or the button on the key fob. Does this sound like it might be the ECU?

Liked
    333 times
    Images

Ask Mustang 67408 to be sure but he told me any intermittent problems that come from the door are usually related to the ecu. He works for a Toyota dealer in Nevada. He can also get you the part.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Re: Sienna power sliding door latch release replacement

Quote Originally Posted by 2004Sienna View Post
    Thank you thank you thank you. Your writeup was very good and helped me save a fortune by taking my van into the dealer. I ordered the $85.00 door lock actuator motor from an online dealer and installed per your instructions (in the detailed pdf file).

I will say that i proceeded cautiously when it came time to removing the black panel. Missing from the instructions was:
    • you only need to remove the bolts for the outside perimeter. The four bolts on the inside can remain in place.
    • You need to remove all wire connections as well as the cables connections in order to remove the panel from the door.
    • The black panel needs to be removed completely to access the phillips head screws holding the motor. I was able to remove one, very carefully, but the other screw head did strip. They were both held in place with locktite. I notched the screw head (with a dremmel) so that i could get a flat head screw driver on it. Then, with lots of force and care, i was able to remove the other one too.
    • Last issue was with the window. After putting the panel back together, i lowered the window and tried to put the screws in. There are two pieces of metal that need to be aligned together before putting the screw in place. I used a small screwdriver to make that alignment prior to setting the screw.
    The whole project took me about 4 hours. I test the door and it now works like new.

Thanks for the information!
    Cheers.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

I did not have to remove the whole black panel. I just removed the perimeter screws and tilted it forward to gain access to the two philips head screws. In this way I could leave most of the cables connected. Glad you were able to fix it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I did not have to remove the whole black panel. I just removed the perimeter screws and tilted it forward to gain access to the two philips head screws. In this way I could leave most of the cables connected. Glad you were able to fix it.
    I completely removed the panel to gain leverage on the 2 screws that held the little $80 faulty motor to that panel. I didn't want to risk breaking any of the plastic connection points for the wire cables, hence i disconnected them all and pulled the panel out.

I'm very happy with your instructions (with good photos too). I owe you a beverage

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Re: Sienna power sliding door latch release replacement

Firstly, I would like to thank 2004sienna for taking the time and effort to post the Sienna Sliding Door Repair pdf. Reviewing it gave me the confidence to tackle my particular sliding door issue. Not only was I able to repair the door myself, but I did it without having to purchase any parts. Not sure how long my fix will last, but we'll see. Hopefully I can add some info here which will help someone else with their particular problem.

I have a 2005 Sienna with manual sliding doors. The driver's side door would not open, not from the inside or outside. Step 1 on the pdf was to remove the two screws holding the door handle cover, but only once the door was open. My door was stuck closed. I was stuck on step 1. Now what?

I took a Phillips screwdriver and bent it 90 degrees in a vice about 1/2 inch from the tip. I was then able to get the screwdriver between the door and the frame and remove the two screws. It took a little while to do, so you need to be patient.

Once I had the door handle cover off, I was able to push on the appropriate part where the top two cables attach and get the door open.

From there I followed the pdf's instructions to get the trim panel off. In my case I could see the problem was a broken plastic piece inside the locking/opening mechanism (the part that all the cables attach to). I also took the passenger side handle cover off to validate my assumption of how the plastic piece should look and work. I also believe that vans with automatic doors could have this same problem with the mechanism.

As with other pieces inside the door, the bolts holding the locking/opening mechanism screw in from the outside, so I again followed the pdf instructions to remove the main panel inside the door. I was then able to remove the three bolts and disconnect all the cables to remove the locking/opening mechanism from the door.

The purpose of the broken plastic piece is related to the locked/unlocked functioning of the mechanism. When in the unlocked position, this plastic piece woud be positioned in such a way that two adjoining plates in the mechanism would be tied together and when the handle was pulled the two plates would move together and pull the cables to open the door.

When in the locked position, this plastic piece would be positioned in such a way that the two adjoining plates were no longer tied together. Pulling the handle only moved the one plate and not the second plate. It is this second plate which pulls the cables to open the door.

Not sure what a new locking/opening mechanism costs, but I wouldn't doubt if the price would be $200. The thought of spending that kind of money due to a faulty little piece of plastic did not sound like fun to me.

I didn't take any pictures of how I fixed the part, so this explanation may only make sense to someone who has the same issue. Anyways, here we go. I cut the broken part off and salvaged the larger bulky end (the end which slides in the black plastic channel and is the end which points toward the outside of the vehicle when positioned in the mechanism). I then found a machine head bolt which I could screw into the plastic salvaged end, thereby fabricating a new piece to replace the broken one. The head of the bolt was large enough that it would not slide through the plate closest to the inside of the vehicle. I had to enlarge the hole in the salvaged piece to accept the bolt without splitting it, but not so large that I still had to screw the bolt into the plastic. I also had to cut the bolt as it was too long and would rub against the door when in the mechanism.

I first positioned the salvaged piece back into the mechanism and then screwed the bolt into it through the inside plate. I had to hold the salvaged piece with needle nose pliers so it would not spin as I screwd the bolt into it. With the mechanism in the unlocked position, the two plates were now tied together by my fabricated piece.

Reinstallation was going well and all important parts were securely in place when I did a final test before putting all the trim pieces in place. Everything worked with respect to opening and closing the door except for one issue - the door would not lock in place when fully opened. In fact, it would open only 4/5 of the way and hit some kind of a stopper prior to opening far enough to lock in place (so as not to slam into someone's fingers when parked on a downhill angle). Another hour of diagnosis solved nothing. A quick Google search gave the answer. As a safety measure, the door is designed to not lock in the open position if the window is open six inches or more. Closed the window and everything worked as it should.

Again, thanks to all who posted. As posted above, I now also owe 2004sienna a beer.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

does anyone have a part number for the ecu/actuator. everything on my door works except the actuator that unlatches the door so the motor can open it. I to am being told by the dealer its a 600 dollar part.'
    Thanks
    Spencer

Veteran Member
    Liked
    16 times

The part #s are listed in the "Sienna Sliding Door Repair.pdf‎" link above. I did this repair a couple of months ago. The only real difference from those instructions was that I used a heat gun to loosen the loc-tite on the screws holding the actuator to the door... and I didn't remove the interior panel. I just took out enough screws to pry it back with my hand and use a stubby screwdriver to remove the 3 screws.

Liked
    0 times

My 2004 LE power door started acting up recently. The symptoms don't quite match what is described above though.

All of the buttons and key fobs still work to open and close the door, but now there is a loud clicking and sometimes the door won't open.

Is the same part the culprit here, too? 30 sec video attached.

Thanks,
    Bob

1997 Toyota T100 2WD SR5

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hello, I have a 2005 Sienna xle. The passenger power sliding door only works when you use either the outside handle or inside handle. It does not work when you use the remote, button by the door, or the overhead button by the driver. What is wrong with the door? Is it the door lock release part number 856200-8071. Please email me. mdefran23@yahoo.com. Thank you

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you so much for detailed instruction. That will be my weekend project once I get the part!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast