Sienna Transmission fluid change

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sienna Transmission fluid change

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Sienna Transmission fluid change

Hello,

I'm looking for a procedure for changing the transmission fluid in a 2004 Sienna. I've found procedures for other Toyota vehicles describing how to do this by the use of tubing connected to the Xmission cooler, cranking engine to pump some out and adding in fresh several times. Do I use this procedure for the Sienna? What is the best choice of oils? Is there a filter or screen to change out?

Thanks,

Gamma

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Sienna Transmission fluid change

Hi Gamma,

I too believe in regular changes of the transmission fluid of any car. I've had the tranny fluid changed twice on my 2004 Sienna. Both times I've had the dealer do it, and it was just a drain and re-fill. The main reason that stopped me from doing it myself was that the type of transmission fluid required. In the owner's manual it states Toyota Type "T-lV" (JWS3309 or NWS6500). There are other warnings in the owner's manual describing what could happen if you don't use this type of AT fluid. I could not find this type of transmission fluid anywhere, so I gave up and had to go to the dealer. It seems like Toyota is doing now what Ford and Chrysler did with their tranny fluid formulations,(making it special) and harder to get from a local automotive store. Any new info from anyone on possible stores that sell this Toyota Type T-4 would be great for all of us.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I took my 2002 Sienna in today to shop with the specialized equipment for flushing transmissions. When I came to pick it up, the van was still on the hoist. They realized that this vehicle was different from their usual experiences, and phoned the Toyota dealer who advised them that trying to flush it would jeopardize the front seal on the transmission. So I'm ending up with a new filter and a re-fill. Not what I wanted ... but the alternative wasn't good either.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hey Tonto, I searched the Internet and found that drivewire.com has the Toyota ATF Type T-IV tranny fluid, it's $4.66 per quart.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Good luck

Liked
    0 times

Why not just go to the Toyota dealer and buy the T-IV fluid? I do that, and it's no more than the price quoted in one of the other posts ($4.66?).

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

The drain plug is on the bottom of the trans. Its torqued to 49 nM

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hi Guys,

So what is the expert's recommendation? Drain/refill/filter or the complete flush at the dealer?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Liked
    0 times

I think it depends on how you use your vehicle! If you do a lot of stop and go or pull a trailer i would do the complete flush.
    If most of your miles are freeway where it stays in high gear and not shifting a lot i would just do the standard filter change and refill.
    This is the way i have done all my vehicles and never have any trouble out of them.

Liked
    0 times

Flush versus drain/replace filter and refill?

I have read through too many forums where someone had problems after a flushing of their transmission. Your owners manual does not say to flush the transmission. A typical transmission flush service does not include dropping the pan, cleaning all of the metal off of the magnet, nor replacing the filter. The flush just moves all of that crap throughout the transmission and hopefully out during the flush.

Drain, replace filter ( I am assuming the Sienna has a servicable tranny filter), and refill. Do this every 30 k miles or so. Way better for the tranny.
    2005 Tundra 4x4 double cab. Line-X, A.R.E. cover.
    2006 Sienna LE. Goat hauler
    2007 Nissan Versa S

Liked
    3 times

Geez nobody reads the factory repair manual. Changing the fluid on a 2004 Sienna involves the same simple procedure as on a 1973 Toyota or 1965 Chevy.

1. Remove tranny oil pan drain plug
    2. Drain old fluid (roughly 2-4 quarts)
    3. Reinstall drain plug.
    4. Measure amount drained in a 99 cent orange juice pitcher from Walmart
    5. Pour back the same amount drained using Toyota Type T-IV fluid (available in 1 quart bottles from a Toyota dealer.
    6. Start engine and shift slowly through all the gears ending in Park.
    7. Check fluid level on the dipstick. Add fluid, if necessary, to bring the level to a point inbetween the COLD and HOT marks on the dipstick.
    8. Go for a 20 minute drive and recheck fluid level. Add fluid, if necessary, to bring the level up to,
    but not beyond, the upper half of the HOT range on the dipstick.

As in 1973, NO FLUSHING is needed and NO FILTER REPLACEMENT is needed, NO PAN REMOVAL is needed. As, as in 1973 todays Toyotas have a metal mesh filter screen that doesn't ever get clogged except in rare cases of transmission operational abuse, including failure to ever change the fluid for 150,000 miles or more.

Instead of reading the factory manual, everyone's thinking is based on American transmission shop propaganda and American car transmission maintenance procedures; e.g. the tranny shops nowadays have "flush" machines to help them sell a more profitable $125 flush job instead of the $40 pan drain and fill job they used to sell. And American transmissions have a paper filter element that DOES get clogged and requires replacement.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have 2002 Toyota Sienna and 2004 Toyota sienna. Is it the same procedure to change transmission oil? Does both have drain plug? I see that drain plug looks different than oil drain plug. Transmission oil plug has hollow where you can possibly insert hexagon tool to open the drain plug. How do you open the transmission oil plug. Please reply here or reply to my e-mail anarasimhan@ieee.org. Thanks.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I think you should also consider replacing the washer on the drain plug. I think it might be neoprene or something along those lines. If the washer is not replaced, you're increasing the risk of a slow leak. The washer is about $2.00 from the stealership.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by narasimhan48 View Post
    I have 2002 Toyota Sienna and 2004 Toyota sienna. Is it the same procedure to change transmission oil? Does both have drain plug? I see that drain plug looks different than oil drain plug. Transmission oil plug has hollow where you can possibly insert hexagon tool to open the drain plug. How do you open the transmission oil plug. Please reply here or reply to my e-mail anarasimhan@ieee.org. Thanks.
    Let the dealer do it if you insist on doing trans change. !! I had Valvoline do it on my wifes 05 Sienna with 105k no probs before and now it is slipping(even after putting Lucas trans Oil in) Several mechanics said not to change it unless necessary.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

First post here mainly due to the incredibly poor advice given here. Just changed the transmission fluid on my '06 Sienna. Yes, the owners manual says nothing about changing it unless you tow. BS to that, bought the van used with 86K and no knowledge of prior use. Fluid was dark but not burnt. The fluid is easy to drain, just remove the drain plug. Removing the pan is a bit more difficult as three of the 10mm bolts are not directly accessible. They must be removed with a 10mm combination wrench. There is a small access panel in the drivers side wheelwell that lets you get these bolts from the side. The panel is retained with two more 10mm bolts, removed them and the panel lifts up out of the way. Time consuming as you can only turn each bolt about 30degrees at a time but it can be done. There is a transmission filter! Its the same flat pan style filter with a felt insert that you find in any other auto trans. The poster above that speaks about "screens" etc. is clueless. The filter is retained with three 10mm bolts and has an O-ring seal on the top. Easy to change. Clean the pan out, fit new gasket to pan and pre-install all the pan bolts in the pan, the holes in the gasket hold them in place so the whole thing just fits in place so you can then tighten them up. Go easy tightening, you will deform the pan and it will leak. When in doubt find a torque spec. I done many jobs like this so I know how much is enough. Lastly fill with any ATF that meets the specs. I used Valvoline as it stated it met Toyota Type IV. I got 5qts and 10oz out of the trans and thats what I poured back in. The whole thing was about 1.5 hours. RT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)