If you are the owner of Sienna 2004-2008 [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: If you are the owner of Sienna 2004-2008

ggcc
09-20-2007, 09:52 PM
:mad:

If you are the owner of Sienna 2004-2008, please read this url below:

Express your concerns even you are a potential Sienna owners.

Toyota Sienna Defects (http://www.toyotasiennadefects.info)

Thanks StompRocket for the link.

bahnted
10-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Thank you for this link.
My 2005 Sienna had the door check strap failure.
NYE Frontier Toyota in Anchorage, AK assured me that they re-weld repair would work and be durable.
Imagine my surprise when I read that the only real repair is the replacement of the driver's entire door!

Please keep up the information!

mdelisi
10-23-2007, 09:49 AM
This issue was fix with the production changeover for 2007 ...

I would also like to know where the engineering report done on this issue is...the maker of this website claims a "engineering" flaw... where is the evidence? I for one would like to make sure my car is as safe as possible but I would hesitate to join some frivolous class action lawsuit for a quick buck.

If it were a serious safety issue or a problem experianced by more than a handful of people then th NTSB will recall it...not Toyota

kolkh
10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Thank you for this link.

Imagine my surprise when I read that the only real repair is the replacement of the driver's entire door!

Blame authors of the link you’ve visited for your surprise.
As a matter of fact, Toyota issued a revised TSB a few months ago to fix the problem. There are no indications so far that this new TSB (as opposite to the old one) is not good. Thus, if I were you, I would not panic; rather, I would go and ask your dealer whether or not he used the latest TSB.

As to statement of ‘anonymous’ Sienna owner, posted on that link and saying: "I should have bought a Honda!", my reply is : “Go ahead !“ Sienna reliability is getting better compared to the Odyssey's according to surveys of minivan owners published by Consumer Reports and TrueDelta. Obviously, Sienna owners report all problems including this door stopper problem, but, nonetheless, Ody’s owners experience more and more problems … Thus, my reply to that smart anonymous Sienna owner: ” Go ahead and buy Ody! Next time I need to buy new Sienna, it will be cheaper for me! Because of you!”

ggcc
10-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Here is another link:

Toyota to fix 600,000 Sienna minivans (http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-to-fix-600000-sienna-minivans.html)

73mach1429
11-04-2007, 05:08 PM
The problem is that the spot welds that hold the door checker plate to the door, fail. If caught early, i.e. when the "popping noise" starts, the door can be welded. If you wait to long, the door checker plate becomes cracked and/or broken and door replacement is required. I have performed this repair a few times and when I repair these, I install extra welds in 2-3 more locations to make it stronger than a new door. The repair consists of drilling out the old spot welds, repositioning the checker plate, welding it back in place and touching up the paint over the welds. If done properly, the repair is barely visible in the area of the checker.

davis3903
02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
we had our 2005 done and they did not weld the door they put in pop rivits.
they are heaver duty but they are pop rivits. i questioned the dealer on this repair and they assured me that is the method toyota recommended to repair. no cost to me. but if it fails again it will be on them and who knows what else.

ggcc
02-16-2008, 11:06 AM
we had our 2005 done and they did not weld the door they put in pop rivits.
they are heaver duty but they are pop rivits. i questioned the dealer on this repair and they assured me that is the method toyota recommended to repair. no cost to me. but if it fails again it will be on them and who knows what else.

Not weld Metal too thin to support (many customers came back for the same problem, the final fix is to replace the door).

Jim R
02-21-2008, 02:30 AM
I bought my 2004 Sienna LE in Aug of 2007. Three days after I bought it from the original owner, the check strap issue reared it's ugly head.

After first going to a Toyota dealer (whom I had purchase a 1990 Cressida from in 1991) they told me that it was out of warranty and suggested I ask a body shop to look at it.

I took it to a body shop where they had seen this very problem a few times before. They said repairing it wasn't an option. They wouldn't even consider doing it. It was a waste of time because it would only fail again as they had taken this route before and had learned the hard way. The only way to fix it reliably was to replace the door.

At 107,000 Km, and being only three years old, I was NOT impressed. I phoned Toyota Canada and complained bitterly. Toyota Canada passed the buck back to the dealer again. They actually said it was up to the dealer to decide.

When I contacted the service manager at the dealership, he understandingly explained that it was indeed up to Toyota Canada to authorize any such repair since they, not any dealer would be paying for a situation like this. It was absolutely not going to be the dealer.

I asked the service manager to call Toyota Canada and have someone with the authority contact me and to officially refuse to repair this absurd problem. He agreed with me on the principle of the problem and said he would call and express my concerns about the diminished quality of Toyota's product to the appropriate people. After all, my Toyota Cressida had served me quite well for 17 years. This is why I had chosen another Toyota product. Chunks of rusty metal had begun to start falling off the doors of the Cressida when you closed them. In spite of this, no check straps had failed on any door of the Cressida as it had on the Sienna's driver door.

Instead of Toyota Canada contacting me, the service manager called me the next day and asked me to bring my Sienna in for his inspection. When I did, he inspected the problem himself and based on some guidelines Toyota had given him, he informed me that Toyota Canada had authorized him to replace the door.

davis3903
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
thank you ggcc

i am going back to the dealership and address this issue about the type of repair done. no weld just the rivets... i guess i will have to jump up and down and cry big tears. or just keep going there untill they break down and do it to get rid of me. bd

warner1965
06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna that I bought used at 60,000 miles. The check engine light comes on intermitently and goes out. The code that keeps coming up is P2238. Can anybody answer if it is covered under TSB dated Feb 2,2005 (MIL ON DTC P0031/P0051/P2238) service bulletin? Is it covered under the emission warranty?