Loose Rear Hub?? [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Loose Rear Hub??

Portugue
01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I just rotated my tires (temps are finally about 40) and I noticed when I put the passenger side rear tire on and tightened, the wheel had a little movement to it. Took it off, and took the rear drum cover off. If I grab the wheel studs, and pull toward me....there is a little play there. Is that normal? Its like the hub can move in and out, its very slight, maybe 1/16" if that.

Little history, I had to fix that tire over the summer and just used the factory jack to raise that side. Took the tire out and didn't put a floor jack under (not my proudest moment). Went to fill the tire up, came back and of course it had fell off the jack. Everything was fine though and nothing was damaged. It wasn't very high off the ground. I think this is the first time I never used a floor jack....and of course this had to happen.

I'm wondering if there is a bearing or something there that might need replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :tu:

Joey

dyogim
01-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Could be the bearing needs replacement. Not sure how much "play" it should have but, from the sounds of it, it seems too much. To save the cost of labor, remove the axle shaft, drum assembly yourself and take it to a place and have new bearing(s) installed. All you need to do is jack up the rear end and place the side you are removing a bit higher than the other side. This is so the diff fluid doesn't leak out. Disconnect the brake cable and brake fluid line. Remove the 4 flange bolts and slide it out. While you are at, might as well replace the o-ring and axle seal.

Portugue
01-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Could be the bearing needs replacement. Not sure how much "play" it should have but, from the sounds of it, it seems too much. To save the cost of labor, remove the axle shaft, drum assembly yourself and take it to a place and have new bearing(s) installed. All you need to do is jack up the rear end and place the side you are removing a bit higher than the other side. This is so the diff fluid doesn't leak out. Disconnect the brake cable and brake fluid line. Remove the 4 flange bolts and slide it out. While you are at, might as well replace the o-ring and axle seal.

Well now Im wondeirng if its normal. I just jacked up both sides and they both have the same amount of wiggle. Its really not much, but I can hear it. With the tires down and me rockin it, I don't hear it.

dyogim
01-07-2008, 04:21 PM
The only thing I could find in the manual is to:

Check bearing backlash and axle shaft deviation

Using a dial indicator, check the backlash in the bearing shaft direction. Maximum 0.7 mm (0.028 in)
If the backlash exceeds, replace the bearing

If what you are noticing is the "play" (backlash) and is more than what's listed above, it's more than likely the bearings. If you have the manual for 00-03 tundras, it's section SA-84.

Portugue
01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
The only thing I could find in the manual is to:

Check bearing backlash and axle shaft deviation

Using a dial indicator, check the backlash in the bearing shaft direction. Maximum 0.7 mm (0.028 in)
If the backlash exceeds, replace the bearing

If what you are noticing is the "play" (backlash) and is more than what's listed above, it's more than likely the bearings. If you have the manual for 00-03 tundras, it's section SA-84.

Didn't even think to look in the manual. Thanks a ton!! I think I'll have the dealer take a look at it. I don't think its much, just wasn't sure it everything was suppose to be tight. But its seems like a little play "backlash" is normal.

Thanks for the quick responses! :tu::tu: