DIY How-To: Removing Carbon Filter w/o Damaging It [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: DIY How-To: Removing Carbon Filter w/o Damaging It

Tundradrenalin
06-27-2008, 06:14 PM
I've seen dozens of threads regarding the infamous carbon filter in the stock airbox. Some of them had people cutting out the mesh, some cutting out the plastic, all leaving the carbon filter FUBAR. Here's what I did to remove the thing and have it available to reinstall. Yes, I said, reinstall.
Note: no shameless beer plugs in this write-up:crazy:

First, some interesting pictures of the filter from two different perspectives.
Here's what it looks like held up to the light.

Here's what it looks like with the light shown from behind the filter.

Ok now, the dissection of the airbox...:devil:

Step 1.
Remove the airbox, duh. Or at least the top half.
You'll need the popular 10mm socket and at least a 7" extension to remove the entire box. You need a #2 phillips and maybe a 10mm to remove just the top half.

Step 2.
Remove the MAF. (#2 phillips needed here)

Step 3.
Stick your arm in the hole, Flash Gordon style.

Step 4.
Reach all the way back, these are the easy ones.
Gently push up on one of the plastic corners, not the fabric.
See these little circles?
Push on those from behind. They'll pop out with moderate pressure.

Step 5.
Repeat step 4 on the middle tabs.

Step 6.
Pull the back up, the only two circles still attached are those in the front, where you couldn't reach from the inside. Well, I couldn't reach.
Now you can pry the front two loose.

End result:
A carbon filter that isn't all jacked up and an airbox that requires no scrutinizing cleaning!

Easy huh?
The tabs were melted on from the factory, and if you pulled them off gentle enuogh, you can reattach them. If all 6 are back on, the tension of the plastic frame will hold them back on snug.

Also, don't bother cleaning it, nothing comes out, it never gets white again, and it takes hours to dry. I tried.

Puffnstuff
06-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Nice write up. What purpose does removing the mesh serve?

Tundradrenalin
06-27-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't know, lol. I put it back in. :laughing:

Thought it would clean up, but it didn't.

Brad's Dad
06-28-2008, 05:55 AM
What years/models of Tundra have this carbon filter?

Fred

MEvang
06-28-2008, 07:10 AM

Fred

Good question! Now have me wondering if my '01 has one. I've put in a few air filters but never remember looking in to the top side.
Carbon filters are usually used to keep migrating fuel odors from backing out of the engine during a thing called a "shed test." This is where the entire vertical is put in a shed or sealed bag of sorts and they measure the emission the vehicle puts off just sitting there. The carbon absorbs the fuel vapors and then when it's running they are suck back into the air stream.
Other wise I can't see why you couldn't remove this. I don't believe it does any actual filtering.
Mike

MEvang
06-28-2008, 07:39 AM
OK, went and checked, 2001 does not have it.
Mike

apimpdad
06-28-2008, 10:35 AM
OK, went and checked, 2001 does not have it.
Mike
2002 also doesn't have it.

BAD BONEZ BJ
06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Nice write-up. I can't tell you if the '03 has this or not as my stock airbox is in the top of the shed, at the back, about a half-day of moving crap to get to it. So one of the other '03s will have to look and see if this is in their airbox. Maybe it came out with the VVTI engines?
BJ

TundrastruckDave
06-28-2008, 10:03 PM
EXCELLENT write-up "Tundradrenalin"! ;):tu: A little patience goes a looooooong way.
Thanks again...

Big_Al1
06-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Nice write up. What purpose does removing the mesh serve?

I removed mine to try and improve air flow because it seems to be very restrictive.Did make my intake a good bit louder.

Crazy Ivan
06-29-2008, 06:43 PM

Fred

from 2003+ have those filters

toyotakid1996
07-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Would this do any harm to the MAF or the truck running with it out. Assuming you always have clean paper in there.

UnSub
07-06-2008, 03:45 PM
The filter is pretty non restictive. There is no cleaning ever required. You won't gain anything taking it out except adding to pollution. I accidentally took it out of my 4 Runner while trying to figure out what it was. It was too messed up to put it back in. I checked my 03 Tundra and it has one but I left it in. You never know when emmissions testing will get tighter.

Diego
07-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I know that some of the guys on the 2nd gen Tundra forum are removing the carbon filter and claiming a 2 MPG increase in fuel mileage. I was thinking of removing it from my 05 to see if there might be any improvement. If it is removed carefully it can also be replaced if desired with no harm done.

toyotakid1996
07-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I know that some of the guys on the 2nd gen Tundra forum are removing the carbon filter and claiming a 2 MPG increase in fuel mileage. I was thinking of removing it from my 05 to see if there might be any improvement. If it is removed carefully it can also be replaced if desired with no harm done.

I removed it. Carefully per Tundradrenalin's good post. Came out easy. Did a intake clean and MAF clean also. I'll fill up tomorrow with top tier and check mileage on a full tank by Thursday or so. I'll reply and post. Intake did sound louder, but my truck also runs faster after a good oil change. :crazy:. TLC never hurt anything..

Crazy Ivan
07-06-2008, 09:51 PM
The filter is pretty non restictive. There is no cleaning ever required. You won't gain anything taking it out except adding to pollution. I accidentally took it out of my 4 Runner while trying to figure out what it was. It was too messed up to put it back in. I checked my 03 Tundra and it has one but I left it in. You never know when emmissions testing will get tighter.

what is emmissions? never heard of that one - LOL
(here in FL we don't have that)

UnSub
07-07-2008, 01:51 AM
what is emmissions? never heard of that one - LOL
(here in FL we don't have that)
Opps. I spelled it wrong! Emissions. Is that right? I spell badly but I smell O.K.:croc:Watch those gators tinik

Tundrav8yamaha
07-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Nice write-up. I can't tell you if the '03 has this or not as my stock airbox is in the top of the shed, at the back, about a half-day of moving crap to get to it. So one of the other '03s will have to look and see if this is in their airbox. Maybe it came out with the VVTI engines?
BJ

Mine has that on top of the filter box (2004)...

Gman1985
07-15-2008, 11:17 AM
what if ur arm dont fit in the whole hehehe...

Remmy700P
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
All that carbon filter does is attempt to capture the blow-by and combustion byproducts that seep back into the intake system after the engine is shut down. Like everyone says, it is simply a control structure to make the environmentalists happy.

In regards to performance enhancement, unless it gets clogged with debris from a failed air filter, the thing is so coarse that I seriously doubt that it has any measurable restriction on the intake flow.

The one thing I wouldn't like about it is it traps all those nasty, acidic combustables and gases between the throttle body and the MAF sensor, so the MAF gets to sit immersed in the stuff. Not beneficial to its lifespan. Thankfully, my 2002 doesn't have it!

Other than that, those of you with 2003+ V8s, removing it will have NO effect on performance OR MPG.

Mr. Creosote
07-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Other than that, those of you with 2003+ V8s, removing it will have NO effect on performance OR MPG.
What experiments / tests have you performed to arrive at this conclusion?

Tundradrenalin
07-15-2008, 07:38 PM
I can offer my experiments here. Ran two tanks of gas, did not notice any performance increase at any RPM and the Scangauge did not notice any MPG increase. So I put it back in. :noidea:

edit: i did not do a dyno.

Mr. Creosote
07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I can believe it does not improve mileage because, even though it presents a restriction in the intake tract, that restriction tends towards zero as the throttle gets closer to being closed. People run as little throttle as possible when trying to get good fuel economy. For performance however, the likelihood of the removal making a difference is greater, as the restriction becomes more significant at heavier throttle. If you are breathing through a straw, you will be more hampered by the restriction when you are running as fast as you can http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/sportlich/p020.gif as opposed to laying on the sofa. :couch2:

Here is what Gen 1 owners noticed after removing their filters.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/forced-induction-systems/109612-stock-air-flow-numbers-and-mod/

Tundradrenalin
07-16-2008, 06:35 AM
I've had the same semi-ram air going for a while, over a year? I dunno.
Your rationale sounds reasonable to me though.

Remmy700P
07-16-2008, 08:58 AM

Burger~

It's a gas trap, not a constrained filter. Your argument holds water logically, but, like you said, IF there is any effect, it would only show at WOT. Even then, you'd be hard-pressed to see a differential that was meaningful.

But, be my guest if you want to do all the dyno work, scanguage staring, etc. Frankly, I think it is a waste of time to get all bound up over a MPG or two on a tank of gas. If we were all THAT worried, we'd be driving Prius'!! :laughing:

Tundradrenalin
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
In the next couple of weeks I'm having my URD MAF calibrator tuned, not by myself. During the tuning sessions I'll ask if we can pop it out and see what the MAF sensor reads and compare the two (installed & un-installed). That should clear the water.

Remmy700P
07-16-2008, 10:27 AM
In the next couple of weeks I'm having my URD MAF calibrator tuned, not by myself. During the tuning sessions I'll ask if we can pop it out and see what the MAF sensor reads and compare the two (installed & un-installed). That should clear the water.

Tundradrenalin~

I look forward to your results! :tu:

DEA

Mr. Creosote
07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Burger~

It's a gas trap, not a constrained filter. Your argument holds water logically, but, like you said, IF there is any effect, it would only show at WOT. Even then, you'd be hard-pressed to see a differential that was meaningful.

But, be my guest if you want to do all the dyno work, scanguage staring, etc. Frankly, I think it is a waste of time to get all bound up over a MPG or two on a tank of gas. If we were all THAT worried, we'd be driving Prius'!! :laughing:
Have a read through the link I gave. Hi_Volt was able to measure a pressure difference in front of and behind his HC filter due to the restriction it presents.

I hear you about the magnitude of the difference, but if you are addicted to horsepower as I am... :crazy:

Tundrav8yamaha
07-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Have a read through the link I gave. Hi_Volt was able to measure a pressure difference in front of and behind his HC filter due to the restriction it presents.

I hear you about the magnitude of the difference, but if you are addicted to horsepower as I am... :crazy:

Horsepower is nothing unless apply right personally this mod is a joke because there is a reason why it's there in the first place:rolleyes:.. As with any mod you tend to beleive the studies but is there enought proof to state you get better Mpg having this?

As My post before stated Before someone axed it :rolleyes: Hybrid's very likely is the next generation to go Prius ,camry and the Highlander Hybrid will be the next direction hopefully Toyota get do that on a Tundra GM has a 2 stage hybrid now . When it comes to the Tundra let's face it people this Truck is heavy and has a Larger displacement v8 whos overall Fuel ecomony is very questionable but isn't that why we all got a truck in the first place to tow yet have power. Hell In California Tundra there have 3 cat's used for emmission purposes so before we all hack into carbon filters it's best to retain them since they have a soul purpose to clean (back to topic)

Erik

Mr. Creosote
07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Horsepower is nothing unless apply right personally this mod is a joke because there is a reason why it's there in the first place:rolleyes:.. As with any mod you tend to beleive the studies but is there enought proof to state you get better Mpg having this?
Nope http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/images/smilies/ohno.gif. Lots of anecdotal information but no rigid experimental controls from most. Hi_Volt did the best job with his measurements on the 4.7 and I tried to keep the filtered and unfiltered dragstrip passes close together in time, but those tests are not necessarily relevant to fuel economy. :unsure:

carbon filters it's best to retain them since they have a soul purpose to clean
Not touching that one....paging Jan Kohlman. http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Remmy700P
07-17-2008, 12:34 PM

I did read that thread when he first posted. It was excellent. However, his model Tundra (2001) does not have the carbon filter screen. It didn't come out until 2003. I think his tests were comparing vacuum before and after his stock air filter. (Or did I miss something...?) :confused:

DEA

Mr. Creosote
07-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I did read that thread when he first posted. It was excellent. However, his model Tundra (2001) does not have the carbon filter screen. It didn't come out until 2003. I think his tests were comparing vacuum before and after his stock air filter. (Or did I miss something...?) :confused:

DEA
Whoops, you are right, he got his gains with the extra hose and K&N. It should also be noted I did the same mods as he did, which suggests the three tenths I gained at the dragstrip needs to be at least partly credited to the K&N. :D

Tundradrenalin
08-04-2008, 07:23 AM
hi all.
no difference in/out.
The truck is smokin' now that it's been custom tuned. No more slow shifts, no more hesitation between gears, allll smooth fast acceleration allll the way.:devil:

URD MAF Calibrator highly recommended. It's like my Tundra was born again!:party:

toyotakid1996
08-04-2008, 08:02 AM
hi all.
no difference in/out.
The truck is smokin' now that it's been custom tuned. No more slow shifts, no more hesitation between gears, allll smooth fast acceleration allll the way.:devil:

URD MAF Calibrator highly recommended. It's like my Tundra was born again!:party:

Who do you reccommend going to to have this done?

HOGWILD
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM
So why does this carbon filter exist? Seems it is there for a reason and the reason being it absorbs unburnt hydrocarbons during engine shutdown so how could it being removed increase performance? not sure what it will do to MAF or any other part of intake but Toyota put it there for this reason? Guess most feel it's not needed and there is some kinda gain by removing it? So what does it do when ya remove it?

Marauder
08-04-2008, 09:25 AM
First....Its NOT a filter. its a hydrocarbon trap. If your airbox has a white stamp lettering of " HC " then you have it.

Second...they don't really restrict anything, much less than a air filter. Its job is similar to a cat converter, in that it uses a chemical reaction to stop any hydrocarbons from getting out of the engine and into the air. Yes, its an emissions device!!

So if you are using a stock type air filter, or something that isn't extremely high-flow, then this is just a waste of energy, IMO.

2003bajatundra4x4ac
10-18-2009, 05:13 PM
i noticed on mine today whilst checking components prior to our next baja trip that it was dusty. i banged it around a few times to get the crud out of it but probably dislodged as much upstream as downstream...

tsolomon
10-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Worth saying again, good deal and thanks for sharing the insight.

atleastitsnotaford
11-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Wow. I love how so many ppl use the comment "Toyota must have done it for a reason." Well in this case, I'm kindof surprised that noone has seen the reason.......... Ok, there's no real argument what it does (stopping hydrocarbons from escapining to the atmosphere) just like the old charcoal canisters did. To answer why Toyota did it....first, US laws for new vehicles require emission controll systems. Second, look at it. At best it's not much more than a few cheap pieces of plastic sandwiching a charcoal element. From a manufacturing standpoint, this thing has got to be one of the cheapest emission control devices out there. That's Toyota's reason for putting it in there.
Our reason for taking it out......... Well, if it's clean and working properly, it is a restriction, but so light that it will not cause any problems. If you're trying to increase airflow for more power or better mpg, it is a restriction, and removing it does offer potential improvement even if it's only a little bit. If it is clogged or dirty (like mine was) it can make a noticable difference in power and mpg. The biggest thing I noticed, was an improvement in throttle response.

Having said all that, I think most ppl will not see any noticable change (other than intake sound) by removing it. I did get a performance improvement, but my truck had over 100,xxx when I got it, most of that was spent on red dirt roads in the north Texas oilfields, so mine was fairly dirty.

jv
03-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the post and the detailed photos. I went ahead and removed my carbon filter because when i touched it there was visible dust on my fingers. I bought my truck used when it was 6 years old and the previous owner had a K&N drop in that didn't look like it had been cleaned in a long time (possibly since they installed it). In any case, i removed that and went with a Fram disposable filter but i think my carbon screen had gotten quite dirty from the lesser filtration of the K&N.

I followed the instructions here but even so I ended up flexing the screen a bit too much trying to get the middle contacts off and it snapped the frame. No biggie really since i had/have no intention of putting it back in and it was quite dirty. I have a very detailed log of the past year of fuel mileage for this truck on my Android Mileage app so i will report back if now, with the charcoal screen removed, the mileage increases at all. I'm not expecting it to, but i'll report my findings back here either way.