trailer wiring on a 2000 tundra ? [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: trailer wiring on a 2000 tundra ?

ace57
04-03-2003, 02:53 PM
ok tundraholics,

can anyone give me the "bottom line" on trailer wiring for the 2000 tundra ? i am officially confused.

i had heard that the wiring needs to go straight to the battery, because of possible damage to the onboard computer system due to, i would figure, surges or spikes whatever.

i also picked up that toyota had a recall on converters back in 2k due to something along these lines......

i know someone on ebay sells wiring for the 2k tundras and claims in his spiel that you have to go to the battery etc...

so i figured, i would go to a toyota dealer and purchase their parts, with the logic that they would sell the 'right stuff'

what the partsguy sold me at toyota was a draw tite converter that is plugand play, basically it looks like it plugs into the taillight wiring system, easy 123................what i don't see is a power wire to the battery??

so did he sell me the wrong part, it does say 2000 tundra on the package????

please any help, i am having the wiring done sat. morning one way or the other..

thanks

ace from MA

Drhrsh
04-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Depends on what you are trying to wire. Are you wiring only trailer lights, or are you wiring electric trailer brakes? I have a 2000 tundra I wired for lights and electric trailer brakes. Let me know if I can help'

Dave

nhparrot
04-03-2003, 05:29 PM
There should be 2 harness parts. It needs to be specific for the 2000 because the wiring changed for the 2001. I think the 2000 part numbers are 08921-34810 and PT207-34012

ace57
04-03-2003, 05:31 PM
thanks for the response Dave,

i am wiring just lights.

the draw-tite website mentions a "module" or as they call it a "modulite" which can be used in conjunction with the t-connector to protect the electrical system and wire directly to the battery.........

however my spiffy toyota dealer only sold me the t-connector, and failed to mention anything about a "protective" module

cheers

ace

ace57
04-03-2003, 05:33 PM
....but Glenn,

are these not toyota part numbers?

i was sold a draw-tite product........:rolleyes:

MikeT
04-03-2003, 05:35 PM
I just rewired my Tundra last week for a trailer. I orignally had a boat with a 4-way flat connector (surge brake trailer).

Last week I installed an electric brake controller and 7 way connector. I used the (Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller)

So to answer your question, it depends on what type of trailer you are pulling just like "Drhrsh" stated.

It also depends on what you have on there already. If you have no wiring at all, you will need to buy a "Tail light converter" You will need this because Toyota uses seperate amber lights for turn signals (where most american cars use a red combo light) so on the Tundra you basically have extra wires. This will also protect your truck's electronics.

If you are just going to use the 4 way flat connector and you bought the part from toyota than it most likely is plug and play no need for any other converter because it's most likely built in.

There won't be a battery wire on a 4 way flat because there is no direct 12v needed in that situation where a 7 way connector has a direct 12v line going in so the trailer can pull juice from the truck when needed (ex: electric tounge )

Hope this helps.

-Mike

ace57
04-03-2003, 05:39 PM
just a 4- way flat,

i tow a small stratos bass boat

thanks
mike

geez i wish my toyota was as easy to work with as my e-maxx (r/c)

ace57
04-03-2003, 05:43 PM
ps no trailer brakes,

there was no tow package at all on the truck

had u-haul put a hitch on, but all he did for the wiring was put a small u-haul convertor on spliced in on the taillight wires. after reading all the "cautionarys" on the 2000 tundra, i thought, uhoh i better check this cheesy wiring setup

thanks all

nhparrot
04-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Yes Ace those are the Toyota Part Numbers. The Drawtite part number is 18367 for Model Year 2000 Tundras

Don H
04-04-2003, 07:35 PM
To give you another option, I have a Reese converter with a 4 pin flat plug. It is mounted up behind the rear bumber. The power for the trailer lights comes from a wire that runs up to the battery with a 15 Amp pigtail fuse near the battery. I can't remember exactly but there is a spot near the battery that makes it easy attach the power wire. The converter has relays in it because I can hear one clicking when I check the bulbs for the turn signals. It was basically plugnplay and a few wire ties. Have had no problems in three years. I like this setup because I believe it protects the electronics from voltage spikes.
BTW If it would help I could look at the converter for a part number and also give you more details as to where the power wire goes.

ace57
04-06-2003, 11:47 AM
I just want to thank all of you who responded to me:
Drhrsh, Parrot, Mike and Don.............you guys are great!

It is nice to be part of a board that will respond like that and help out a fellow Tundraholic..........

I ended up using the Drawtite item, it was correct, and as some of you said, it has a fuse inline with the system.

The original part that "mr. uhaul" put on was NOT correct. With this Drawtite part, the lighting glitch I had, (turn signals on truck lighting up when brake applied) is rectified.....

also I put in a tranny cooler, so I THINK FINALLY, I am ready for towing my Stratos.

Again muchas gracias all
:D
Ace from MA

bob213
01-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Just wanted to tell everyone who has taken the time to post info on trailer wiring "Thank You". I had decided I could not wire a brake controller into my 4-way equipped 2000 Tundra, but the more I browsed this forum the more convinced I became that I could.
After assembling everything I needed, I ran wire and installed my Prodigy controller today along with a 7 way connector. This is my first post, but I had to say Thanks!!!
Bob213

zootjeff
03-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Bob213,

Could you post more details on this? How did you wind up doing the wiring? Could you explain all the components you used? Did you get a 4way to 7way socket, then run the 12v line right to the battery? How did you hook up the brake controller? Did you buffer the running lights?

The brake controller has a 12v in, Gnd, tail-light in, and Brake out. Where did you tap off the tail-light in signal? I couldn't find a harness on my 2000 tundra, and mine doesn't have the factory tow package.

How to Wire your Car or Truck for Trailer Lights (http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx)

That link has a good overview of what the options are for the trailers, but I can't find any good link to anyone who did this from scratch on their 2000 Tundra.

I did find that after the year 03, they added a break controller harness and 3 dedicated fuses because a large number of customers actually buy a full size pickup to tow rather then just guzzle gas for fun and haul heavy stuff...

If you can give me any insight, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jeff

Just wanted to tell everyone who has taken the time to post info on trailer wiring "Thank You". I had decided I could not wire a brake controller into my 4-way equipped 2000 Tundra, but the more I browsed this forum the more convinced I became that I could.
After assembling everything I needed, I ran wire and installed my Prodigy controller today along with a 7 way connector. This is my first post, but I had to say Thanks!!!
Bob213

dangerous curve
04-27-2008, 08:09 PM
I think I have tapped into the "nerve center" of my problem. This thread is very helpful. lots of great info. from several folks. I'm stuggling and could use some basic help. This is my second post and I think you guys are the right source for info.
My "new" 2000 tundra has a broken (in two pieces) 7 pin connector and what looks like a class 3 or 4 receiver. It has no controller and wires all over the place. Some look like old stereo wires, others old alarm wires etc.......hard to tell. I'd like to reuse as much towing wiring as possible. I need the 7 pin connentor working for the electric brakes and the lights. The truck already has what looks like a factory trans. cooler.

Can someone set me straight on the basics:
Based on this thread, the 2000 wiring seems unique to this year only?
Did Toyota offer a tow package (7 pin and class 3 hitch) from the factory in 2000 (is it possible that my setup is factory in 2000)?
At the dash end, is there a "plug" that I can wire my controller to?
Or, is this all a home grown effort, to the battery, the brake wire etc?

My 7 pin connector has wires going "somewhere"....I guess I can carefully follow each wire and make a diagram and follow the helpful link "how to wire your trailer". I'm just making the assumtion that the current 7 pin connector was used with a controller..............any help would be appreciated......sorry for the long note.

zootjeff
04-28-2008, 12:24 AM
.any help would be appreciated......sorry for the long note.

Hey,

I put a 7 pin trailer hookup onto my 2000 tundra that didn't have the factory tow package.

The Factory tow package was only a 4 pin.

There is no socket for a brake controller. I wired a dedicated 12 volt line straight to the battery, and clipped on a wire to the actual brake switch of the truck. I went with the P3 with the LCD screen and I love it!

There is a harness under the truck bed near the bumper. It has a hookup for the harness I ordered below. I ran a dedicated black wire to the battery of the truck. So in the end, I have a 30 amp fuse for the brakes that goes to the brake controller and the blue wire of the 7-pin, and a 30 amp fuse to the AUX line (black line of the 7-pin). I didn't hookup the backup lights. (purple wire). The other wires all came from the harness that goes to the factory socket under the bed near the bumper. Works great with my travel trailer.

Tows my 165 Jayco JayFeather 2800lb trailer great!

Below is what I ordered for the 2000 Tundra from etrailer.com

The 33365 plugs right into the wiring of the truck right on the under side of the truck near the center close to the bumper.

rate it (http://www.etrailer.com/app/new_review.aspx?product_code=37185) http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/rn/37185_tn.jpgAdapter 4 Pole to 7 Pole & 4 Pole 1 $22.95 $22.95 87588
rate it (http://www.etrailer.com/app/new_review.aspx?product_code=87588) http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/en-US/admin/blank.gifHidden Hitch Class III Trailer Hitch Receiver 1 $117.95 $117.95 49102
rate it (http://www.etrailer.com/app/new_review.aspx?product_code=49102) http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/dt/mirror/7072_tn.jpgHot Spot Mirror 2" Round Convex Stick On 2 $1.09 $2.18 49202
rate it (http://www.etrailer.com/app/new_review.aspx?product_code=49202) http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/cm/49202_tn.jpgHot Spot Mirror 3" Round Convex Stick On 2 $1.49 $2.98 38630
rate it (http://www.etrailer.com/app/new_review.aspx?product_code=38630) http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/spectro/9510_2_tn.jpg30 amp. In-Line Circuit Breaker 2 $3.34 $6.68 9506P
rate it (http://www.etrailer.com/app/new_review.aspx?product_code=9506P) http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/spectro/9510_2_tn.jpg20 amp. In-Line Circuit Breaker 1 $3.34 $3.34 33365
rate it (http://www.etrailer.com/app/new_review.aspx?product_code=33365) http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/hh/ele/33365_tn.jpgPlug-N-Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector 1 $33.45 $33.45 Referral Code:XBBJ7: ($9.48) Shipping: UPS Ground: $42.30 FreeShipping: ($42.30) Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $180.05

dangerous curve
04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the great info. from Oregon !! You have done the work I'm in the process of doing. You saved me hours of guessing. A few quick questions.
I found a replacement 7 pin replacement connector to replace my smashed unit. I would assume that since all the wires are connected behind the connector, when I replace the smashed connector with the new one, the trailer lights should work (assuming all the wiring is in tack)?

The Toyota dealer confirmed that in 2000 there was no plug module for the brake controller (as you also had said). I found under the hood two of the exact same "circuit breakers" (in your photos), mounted on the firewall. One runs a wire into the fuse panel several inches away. And there is a wire from the battery going "somewhere". (This is like the TV show CSI NY.) Under the dash there are the two holes where the old brake controller must have been.

Humm.....If I get this right, the brake controller does not care about the turn signals or lights.

My 4 (only) wire Tekonsha controller is looking for? ):

12 VOLTS (to operate the unit, that could be the wire coming from the battery to one of the circuit breakers (like your photo) on the firewall to the contoller (maybe?)........or it could be the wire from the fuse panel to the other circuit breaker.......not sure why I have two breakers. both with 12 volts.....unless it for backup lights?

GROUND (that should be easy)

BLUE (Brake wire)....there should be a wire (often blue in color, like you have said) from the rear of the bumper connector all the way to the controller (that energies the electric brakes, it sounds like you also put the 30 amp. circuit breaker on that circuit).....I need to find that wire?

STOPLIGHT wire...........that's a wire from the stoplight switch at the pedal, (voltage only when pedal is pushed). Sounds like you clipped on a wire at that point.....near the pedal?

It pouring rain outside..........will have to wait for tomorrow for further investigation.

I'm 10,000% closer than before, thanks to you. I have a 1000 lbs aluminum trailer, 2600 race car, 400 lbs of tires, tools gear......total about 4000 lbs tow. I'm hoping the Tundra can handle it up the hilly Northeast.

thanks again..........

zootjeff
04-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all the great info. from Oregon !! You have done the work I'm in the process of doing. You saved me hours of guessing. A few quick questions.
I found a replacement 7 pin replacement connector to replace my smashed unit. I would assume that since all the wires are connected behind the connector, when I replace the smashed connector with the new one, the trailer lights should work (assuming all the wiring is in tack)?

The Toyota dealer confirmed that in 2000 there was no plug module for the brake controller (as you also had said). I found under the hood two of the exact same "circuit breakers" (in your photos), mounted on the firewall. One runs a wire into the fuse panel several inches away. And there is a wire from the battery going "somewhere". (This is like the TV show CSI NY.) Under the dash there are the two holes where the old brake controller must have been.

Humm.....If I get this right, the brake controller does not care about the turn signals or lights.

My 4 (only) wire Tekonsha controller is looking for? ):

12 VOLTS (to operate the unit, that could be the wire coming from the battery to one of the circuit breakers (like your photo) on the firewall to the contoller (maybe?)........or it could be the wire from the fuse panel to the other circuit breaker.......not sure why I have two breakers. both with 12 volts.....unless it for backup lights?

GROUND (that should be easy)

BLUE (Brake wire)....there should be a wire (often blue in color, like you have said) from the rear of the bumper connector all the way to the controller (that energies the electric brakes, it sounds like you also put the 30 amp. circuit breaker on that circuit).....I need to find that wire?

STOPLIGHT wire...........that's a wire from the stoplight switch at the pedal, (voltage only when pedal is pushed). Sounds like you clipped on a wire at that point.....near the pedal?

It pouring rain outside..........will have to wait for tomorrow for further investigation.

I'm 10,000% closer than before, thanks to you. I have a 1000 lbs aluminum trailer, 2600 race car, 400 lbs of tires, tools gear......total about 4000 lbs tow. I'm hoping the Tundra can handle it up the hilly Northeast.

thanks again..........

Yes, I clipped it right on the cable that plugs into the brake pedal switch. I used the RED clip that brings down a M shaped metal that crimps on and squeezes the wire but doesn't require you cut it. You have to get the right side as one side is always 12v the other is the switched output that you want. The brake controller docs said which wire it was for Toyota.

In the case of a travel trailer, you need at least a 20 amp fuse for just the brakes, and at least 20 amps to charge the trailer battery. That's why the separate Breakers. Also, because brakes are safety equipment, you don't want to piggy back other functions. Do you really want a single breaker when your trailer battery shorts out and takes out your brakes coming down that 15% decline? If you are not using the black wire (battery AUX) on the 7-pin then you can use a single breaker just for the brakes.

To do it right you should be doing this:
Battery ->> Fuse Breaker 1 ->> Brake controller Power in --> Blue wire (Brake Controller Output)
Battery ->> Fuse Breaker 2 ->> Black wire.

Oh, I'd also recommend using thicker than or equal to 10 or 12 gauge wire for the blue and black lines..

Brake controllers just use the 4 wires like you described. Doesn't need turn signals. Sees 12v when you push on the brake to turn it on initially, then knows how much umphf based on the acclerametor or mechanical inertial sensor inside the controller and your adjustments.

I read all sorts of forums to figure this all out, the only thing I think I might also do is upgrade to LED trailer lights to lessen the load on the 2000 Tundra's electrical system because I've heard of problems blowing the ECUs, etc.. But it works just fine right now with regular bulbs and running lights. I did run an extra power line so that in the future I can have a relay offload the running lights if that becomes a problem. The 05 Tundra has three separate breakers/fuses. One for Trailer lights, one for the trailer brakes, and one for trailer battery (AUX)..

-Jeff

dangerous curve
04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Jeff, ........all good news, thanks, you are right. I forgot about the battery in the trailer and charging that system, hence the black wire. That explains the two circuit breakers (brake controller and black wire). You explained it very clearly.

BEHIND THE BUMPER: ------- I rewired a replacement connector which replaced the smashed unit. It has 7 wires in the correct locations (center wire is just hanging). I found the aftermarket thick "blue and black" wire going toward the front of the truck.

UNDER THE HOOD: - I found the same heavy "black and blue" wire. The black is pulling power from a shunt in the fuse panel box, and routing it through an aftermarket breaker, two breakers, and the blue wire going inside the truck. Also "direct ground" white wire coming from the battery going inside the cab.

UNDER THE DASH: - I found 4 wires where the old controller was connected. (white, blue, red, and black).

It seems I only need to connect my 4 wire tekonsha to the 4 wires hanging under the dash.

BLUE - (run a continuity check, all the way back to the plug in the rear)
BLACK - (run a continuity check, thur the breakers all the way back to the plug in the rear)
RED - (this wire is just like yours, crimped on with a splicer at the brake pedal....no reason to think it does not work, but I'll test it also
WHITE - (this is the direct ground from the battery).

My 4 wire controller has the exact same colors and it should be color matched hookup?

That should be it ???? Does this make sense ????

I'd like you to take a look a 3 photos of the existing wiring, but I have not figured out how to attach photos. Is there a way i can add 3 photos to a tread?

Thanks again for all your help............Jim

zootjeff
04-30-2008, 07:30 AM
I'd like you to take a look a 3 photos of the existing wiring, but I have not figured out how to attach photos. Is there a way i can add 3 photos to a tread?

Thanks again for all your help............Jim

You can use a free service like Photobucket, then post the link or embed the link.

Or you can email me. I'll send you my email via PM.

zootjeff
04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
My 4 wire controller has the exact same colors and it should be color matched hookup?

That should be it ???? Does this make sense ????

Pretty sure that matches color-wise with the brake controller. You might want to go to their website and download the manual for your brake controller if you don't have a copy, but there isn't much else it could be with those 4 wires and colors...

-Jeff

greenjeans
03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi all, I recently realized that my travel trailer I pulled form Penn. had no active stop lights, but my boat trailer did. After spending hours under the rear of my truck, I realized I did not have enough wires to make my 7 pin plug give me brake lights and directionals, and make my 4 pin plug for the boat trailer to work. Now thanks to all you guys I have a direction to go using the 4pole to 7pole and 4pole adapter and the plug in wiring harness from etrailer.com. As it turns out I have a red and black wire from the battery (the red goes through a 20amp fuse at the battery) both then go to the Tekonsha Voyager electric brake. From the Tekonsha a larger red wire 10ga. goes to the rear of the truck to the blue wire from the plug. I believe changing to the harness above I will solve all wiring problems??

All that said, I have another problem I was wondering if anyone of you had experienced. After I have pulled my travel trailer, the brakes feel like the tires have a flat spot on them? My mechanic adjusted my brake once and said that this was common after pulling a trailer, but it does not happen after pulling my boat and trailer. Could it be the Tekonsha unit? Anyone ever had this happen? Thanks.....Jack

sheffler
04-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Please see the attachment for incorporating a 7-pin connector for a brake controller onto your 2000 tundra (4WD, SR5, Extended cab.