Power steering rack leak [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Power steering rack leak

stevekx
08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Well, it is not leaking but starting to sweat a little. It is on the rack on the driver's side where the two self sealing bolts are for adjustment. One bolt is on the side facing the back of the truck the other is underneath (this is the one staring to leak).
Did anyone have the same problem, I think I should leave it alone until I see a reservoir fluid drop or noise.
What do you think?
This is on a 2003

:ts:

mytundrarocks
08-14-2009, 10:42 AM
I think I would try and tighten up that bolt.

dputnam65
08-14-2009, 11:07 AM
I noticed the same thing on my '05, no leaks but the rack is damp on driver's side, 80,000 miles on mine

stevekx
08-14-2009, 03:52 PM
According to mechanical schematics it is a “self sealing” bolt, I rather leave it as is than try to tighten it and cause a bigger problem.

I just wanted to know if it is a common occurence.

skeetie96
08-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a 2004 DC... same thing on mine. The PS boot is wet. No noticable drop in fliud level. The PS rack is pretty pricey. Around $850 new. There is a member on here who is very helpful. He can get you toyota parts a lot cheaper. His handle is mustang67408. I will probably change mine out sooner or later. I just had eye surgery so I'll probably just wait it out a little while. Everything is still a little blurry. I figured as long as it is not leaking too bad, I could just fill it up after a while. It has been about a month since I noticed the leak and I have not had to add any PS fluid yet. Good luck :)

Ryan

stevekx
08-15-2009, 08:13 AM
I have 130K on her so far, until the fluid level starts dropping I see no reason to spend big bucks on a new rack, it could stay that way for ever. I drive a lot and do complete check on my truck at least once a week, so keeping an eye on it is not a problem. Sounds like it is not that uncommon, so unitl fluid level drop or I hear noise or the steering gets heavy no reason to replace.

skeetie96: since you are planning to replace it anyway, why not wait until it brakes all the way and save some money for now :D

SkykingUSA
08-15-2009, 03:14 PM
About 2 hrs ago my 2003 Tundra was diagnosed with the same leaky steering rack and I was quoted about $1250 to replace it. I'm going to watch the level for a while and see what happens. The stupid thing only has 64000 miles on it - geez. It's not even dripping.

Paparentman
08-16-2009, 08:50 AM
While doing the brakes on mine, I discovered the rack boot is torn/split:(. Would that be a leak issue also? Looks like a lot has to come apart to replace.:confused:

stevekx
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I maybe wrong but I think the boot is only a dust cover, maybe you can replace it or get and "overboot" cover like the ones for front CV joints.

BAD BONEZ BJ
08-16-2009, 07:39 PM
According to mechanical schematics it is a “self sealing” bolt, I rather leave it as is than try to tighten it and cause a bigger problem.

I just wanted to know if it is a common occurence.

Can you buy just that bolt at a Stealership? If it is available, and cheap, I'd replace it.

When you remove the bolt you'll lose some fluid, but that should be OK. I have read of earlier Tundras having their steering racks rotting with rust from the inside out.

The reason is always unclear when they took them into their dealer but I think our power steering fluid may be hydrstatic as is brake fluid (absorbs water). The cantamints would all sink to the bottom (rack) and start doing their nasty business of eating away at the inside, especially around any bolts poking through. The amount of fluid you'd lose should flush anything at the bottom of that system.

Just my opinion.... may save your rack.
BJ

Cygnusx51
08-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I got an 03 also. 97,000 on it. Toyota just told me the same thing the last time I had it in for service. They said it was at $700-$800 job. The steering fluid level was a little low. They topped it off and said it was just a really small leak but it was something to think about getting replaced in the future.

I'll just keep an eye on the fluid for now.

Dinosaur
09-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I have a little over 59,000 and noticed some seepage a while back but now my reservoir is a little low. Looks like I can't (or at least shouldn't) put it off. The quote just for the part (rebuilt) was approximately $550.00, don't know what labor will end up being. Fortunately I purchased the platinum extended warranty when I bought my DC last December. This will pay for half the cost of the warranty.

Seems weak to have to replace something like this on a 3 - 4 year old truck. If this was going to be out of pocket I would be really upset.

Do you think lifting the front end 1.3 inches with the 5100s could have pushed up the failure rate? And, is it possible I voided my warranty by doing the slight lift?:eek:

mustang67408
09-04-2009, 07:13 AM
I have a little over 59,000 and noticed some seepage a while back but now my reservoir is a little low. Looks like I can't (or at least shouldn't) put it off. The quote just for the part (rebuilt) was approximately $550.00, don't know what labor will end up being. Fortunately I purchased the platinum extended warranty when I bought my DC last December. This will pay for half the cost of the warranty.

Seems weak to have to replace something like this on a 3 - 4 year old truck. If this was going to be out of pocket I would be really upset.

Do you think lifting the front end 1.3 inches with the 5100s could have pushed up the failure rate? And, is it possible I voided my warranty by doing the slight lift?:eek:
No the lift did NOT push up the failure rate, my truck has been lifted alott more than that for a very long time without any adverse affects.
No it cant void the warranty unless they can PROVE the lift caused the rack to leak....and that just cant be done.
Stuff...... happens

DevinSixtySeven
09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Replace it before it breaks. The amount of fluid in the system is surprisingly small, don't compromise the pump by allowing any major amount of fluid to leak out of the system.

Dinosaur
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
No the lift did NOT push up the failure rate, my truck has been lifted alott more than that for a very long time without any adverse affects.
No it cant void the warranty unless they can PROVE the lift caused the rack to leak....and that just cant be done.
Stuff...... happens

Thanks for the assurance. Yes, mechanical failure from moving parts... whatta ya gonna do?

Replace it before it breaks. The amount of fluid in the system is surprisingly small, don't compromise the pump by allowing any major amount of fluid to leak out of the system.

No, putting something like this off is not my style (other things maybe:)). I don't want any other failure so I will get it taken care of soon.

The dealer is almost 2 hours away and said I have to bring it in so they can check it out and then order the right part. So it will take a return trip. Going to lose two days for this repair.

Could be worse... could be a truck laying on it's side like I did to my AC last December.:o

Thanks guys.

h7009
09-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Hey there, I had this on my 05 Double Cab.....As I have the extended warrenty, they replaced it. Apparently this is a problem....see if you can get any remedy from the dealership, you might get lucky. Good luck, CSM-H

Alligatorgar
09-17-2009, 06:42 AM
My 02 4.7 ac steering rack has that same dampness on the drivers side boot which indicates I have sepage or a small leak. There is no drastic fluid loss and I started to change out the fluid with dextron atf. This leak sounds common and a manufacure defect. This type of stuff dissapoints me with toyota not stepping up the the plate and taking care of this before it becomes an issue for all customers. Toyota is falling right in line with the big three.

skinny2
09-17-2009, 07:36 AM
I've got some wetness around the bolt/boot on my '05 as well...around 57k miles. I knew going in that the rack's are a weak point on the Tundras. I have a client with quite a few of these used for oil well service trucks (lots of gravel roads, off-roading) and they go through racks every 50k miles. I don't know if the off-roading/rough roads has anything to do with it, but I drive some rough roads regularly as well. Doesn't sound like the replacement racks are any better, probably just an under-designed unit. Might be why the Tundra has such a good steering feel....it's probably more suitable on a car.

Dinosaur
09-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey there, I had this on my 05 Double Cab.....As I have the extended warrenty, they replaced it. Apparently this is a problem....see if you can get any remedy from the dealership, you might get lucky. Good luck, CSM-H

How long ago did you have the work done?

I took my truck in to a local (semi) dealership on Friday. Told them about the leak/seepage and my drop in fluid that I noticed in my reservoir. Also mentioned there is moisture on the back of the tranny pan. I have the extended warranty.

The mechanic admitted he sees a lot of seepage but told me that there is no leak. I said then where did my fluid go? It dropped in level. He said that maybe it leaked at one time but it is not leaking now. I pointed to the boots and the drain bolt where dirt was collecting becuase it was wet. He stuck with the line... there is no leak. I kept on for a few more minutes and finally he just said that he would like to make everyone happy but Toyota will not warranty the rack as it stands now. They must see actual fluid leaking.

Left the dealership quite unhappy and immediately called another one in a town a short distance away. I asked the service tech on the phone, what constitutes a leak? Does seepage from the rack and a drop in fluid qualify? The answer was no. Evidently Toyota will now not fix seepage (at least in my area)... only if there is actually a drip.

As far as service goes they have definitely come down from the throne!:td:

zerkleje
09-24-2009, 06:39 AM
I own a 2001 Tundra (166k miles). My steering rack just rotted through last week and drained all my fluid on the way home from work. This truck has never lost an ounce of fluid in 8-years, then suddenly a pin hole rusted through from the inside. Never seen rust so bad on a rack that's only 8-years old... the steel end of the rack flaked off in large chunks. Toyota Cust Service claims there are no recalls yet and the dealer was no help either. Sounds like a lot of people are having rust problems on these early Tundras, so hopefully they will recall soon and I can get back some money. Oh, I should mention that the loss of fluid destroyed my PS pump too. Total repair bill was $850 plus a $70 front end alignment after the rack replacement.

Only major thing that's needed done with this truck until now has been new O2 sensors (about every 60k miles) and new tires twice. So, I guess I should be thankful to have made it this far without too much problem. Still perturbed about this rust issue, though.

Dinosaur
09-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Rusted through, whoa.

That doesn't seem too expensive after being quoted over $550.00 just for a re-manufactured rack. I am sure the pump must not be inexpensive either.

Have you inspected the rest of the under body for bad rust spots? Are you doing any undercoating? I read a couple of long threads about the rust issues, not good.

zerkleje
09-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I got an A1 Cordone re-manufactured rack from Advance Auto Parts for $325 (price match plus discount). New pump was $130 from Smyth Automotive. I had to pay someone else to repair since I didn't have time to get to it right away. Based on prices I've seen, I got a decent deal, but that rack should NOT have rusted through like that.

Anyway, the rest of the frame doesn't look too terrible and I have not done any kind of undercoating... although, the whole frame has a nice coating of power steering fluid on it now, so I should be good for at least another year or so. haha

Dinosaur
09-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I got an A1 Cordone re-manufactured rack from Advance Auto Parts for $325 (price match plus discount). New pump was $130 from Smyth Automotive. I had to pay someone else to repair since I didn't have time to get to it right away. Based on prices I've seen, I got a decent deal, but that rack should NOT have rusted through like that.

It will be interesting to see how the aftermarket rack holds up. Wonder if similar issues will appear. After hearing/reading about so many racks leaking or seeping :( I would like to get one that lasts longer than 50,000 miles. I probably will end up just waiting for mine to actually leak :rolleyes: and then have Toyota take care of it (since I do have the extended warranty). Then, the next time go with an after market version.

Anyway, the rest of the frame doesn't look too terrible and I have not done any kind of undercoating... although, the whole frame has a nice coating of power steering fluid on it now, so I should be good for at least another year or so. haha

:D

I would probably be looking around pretty closely for evidence of rust at the major supports just to be sure. That type of inspection is one of the reasons I actually like doing my own oil changes.

TRD2002
10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
on my 02 tundra the steering rack has cracked and it is leaking and getting worse idk what im going to do. I am a senior in high school with no money lol

Remmy700P
10-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Can someone offer a hypothesis on why a steering rack assembly will rust from the inside out? Is there moisture somehow mixing with the PS fluid? If so, how does it enter the system? Would moving to a full synthetic PS fluid and/or an Auto-Rx treatment offer any remedy?

It seems that, at the very least, a fluid drain and refill on some interval would keep this degradation at bay. In an attempt at being proactive, at every oil change I've removed the old fluid from the PS reservoir and replaced with new in hopes that this won't ever happen to me!

megatherion
10-23-2009, 01:37 AM
Wow! My '06 started to do the same with only 10,000 miles, now has about 20,000 miles and I just found this thread about this problem. I was thinking that the problem may be a bad seal from the engine or the transmission. I'll check the steering fluid tomorrow.

Alligatorgar
10-26-2009, 06:34 PM
My rack started the seeping thing and I took a turkey baster and sucked all the brownish fluid out the reservoir and replaced with Dextron 3 tranny fluid. I did this process 6 times so far to get the system flushed out over time without shocking the system with all new fluid. The seeping stopped and I now have new fluid in the system. I also changed out my rack bushings.

greener
02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
My rack started the seeping thing and I took a turkey baster and sucked all the brownish fluid out the reservoir and replaced with Dextron 3 tranny fluid. I did this process 6 times so far to get the system flushed out over time without shocking the system with all new fluid. The seeping stopped and I now have new fluid in the system. I also changed out my rack bushings.

I've got an 03' with 138k, my right side boot is damp with no visible fluid loss.

Think I might try the gradually swap out the fluid. Anyone have any luck with Auto-RX or any other additives for the seals??

Remmy700P
02-16-2011, 10:54 PM
I've got an 03' with 138k, my right side boot is damp with no visible fluid loss.

Think I might try the gradually swap out the fluid. Anyone have any luck with Auto-RX or any other additives for the seals??

PM TSer INDYMAC (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/members/indymac/). He saved a leaking steering rack with ARX. It rescued my harsh-shifting tranny.

I think the sucking out of the old, brown fluid in the reservoir and replacing with new fluid should be done at least every oil change. That's just me. I do it about once every 3-4 months. The PS fluid in there is clean and clear now. I use the cheapo Prestone red bottle stuff from O'Reilly's.

INDYMAC
02-17-2011, 04:19 AM
Auto-Rx can and has cured seal leaks in the PS rack. It fixed a steering rack leak on my 2003 G35 in short order. How did I know I had a leak? The whole front left underside of my car was soaked with fluid. The PS fluid on any vehicle is probably the most neglected service item there is. Why? Because people think it doesn't need replaced, it just needs to be there. Do yourself a favor and change the fluid (flush is easy to do with two people by pulling the return line, sticking it in a bucket with a hose extension while someone else has 3 qts of ATF opened and ready to pour into the reservoir) every 30K miles. Or, you can do several suction and refills until the fluid is bright red and clear every 30K.

I do the PS fluid every time I change (flush) the tranny fluid (30K miles) now. I use/treat with ARX 1000 miles prior to every change too for metal and seal cleaning. It's working as advertised, so I'll continue with this regimen.

Switching to a synthetic DEX III ATF instead of Toyota fluids is a great idea too.

greener
02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Any opinions or personal experience with Lucas power steering fluid with stop leak??? Just happened to see it on the shelf.

Have a feeling I'll just stick with Dex III and ARX.

Thanks

pickcav
02-20-2011, 06:29 PM
My rack started leaking through a rusted pin hole-replaced it at 170k- Dont sweat the small leaks-it will drive you crazy.

bmann
02-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Took my Truck in for an inspection sticker today. Power Steering leaking. $950 to replace it. Can't get a sticker until it is fixed!! OUCH>>

mpwolf
02-25-2011, 05:59 AM
My rack started leaking badly a week ago. Turns out the return line was letting go. A pretty quick fix and I'm back on the road.

Brentp
02-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I added a bottle of the lucas stuff to PS system when I flushed out the old fluid. It has an extreamly thick consistancy, and I think it is hurting my PS pump because I occasionally hear the pump squeel for a second or two when starting the truck. The bottle says that two bottles in the system is garenteed to fix any leaks or your money back, but im afraid to add another bottle. The steering rack leak seems to have slowed considerabley from a 2" circle overnight to just a drop or two. Ive had it in there for about 1000mi.

The auto rx stuff might be a better option.

Its also slowly leaking from where the hoses connect to the resavoir. I was thinkinig on replacing the hoses and clamps, but the dealership prices were really expensive. Should I try an replace the factory hose clamps with some screw tighteninig ones from napa?

SDVD1097
03-02-2011, 02:12 AM
I sold cars in the 80's and up until five years ago, anyway we always used lucas PS fluid additive when GM had their rack issues I forgot what the ratio was but I don't think you were suppose to use it 100 percent