What's the BEST speaker to replace the OEM Front Door speakers [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: What's the BEST speaker to replace the OEM Front Door speakers

joe_schmoe
03-01-2010, 06:54 AM
OK, I have a '08 DC and want to replace the front door speakers with something better...I can't spend $600 for a set fo speakers but want a GREAT sounding replacement.

What size speaker, what impedance should I get, any adapters required when I replace the OEM speakers? Any and all help appreciated.

If it matters I still have the OEM HU JBL set up....

MASTER TOY. TECH.
03-01-2010, 06:56 AM
kenwood??

tlpru
03-01-2010, 08:58 AM
from my research..... infinity reference 6020cs, newer model is the 6030cs
they both have 2 ohms.
you will need an adapter plate, or modify housing...there are a few threads on it..

trent

Salty_Dog
03-01-2010, 10:31 AM
What is your definition of "best"?

joe_schmoe
03-03-2010, 08:39 AM
What is your definition of "best"?
In the sense that I want QUALITY sound that is compatible with the OEM HU not just replace a set of speakers for a set of speakers....It doesn't have to be recording studio quality, because with Road noise, human ear, and other factors you will NOT be able to hear the finer qualities of a recording studio speaker but I DO want a set of speakers that will allow GREAT sound...Does that help???

Salty_Dog
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
In the sense that I want QUALITY sound that is compatible with the OEM HU not just replace a set of speakers for a set of speakers....It doesn't have to be recording studio quality, because with Road noise, human ear, and other factors you will NOT be able to hear the finer qualities of a recording studio speaker but I DO want a set of speakers that will allow GREAT sound...Does that help???

Go to Crutchfield.com. Their site can tell you what fits in your truck.

I put Polk Audio speakers in mine and I'm happy wit them.

Dexx00420
03-09-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm a firm believer in CDT Audio. They aren't too well known when compared to Polk, Kenwood, Sony, etc. but they have such an amazing quality. Just like all the brands, they have different levels to them but I've experienced many types of speakers in my vehicles and will probably never go with anything other than CDT or Focal.

funkytechmonkey
03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I replaced all my factory speakers with the alpine type r componet set. LOVE THEM!!!

red4rr
03-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Polk Audio db series, sound great and got fronts and rears for just about $150. I went with 6.5 all around, you will have problems finding a 6x9 to fit in the front doors. I made adapters out of 3/4" MDF, but you can buy some plastic ones off ebay for $20 a pair.

crash007
03-13-2010, 06:22 PM
If you are using the factory head unit, then you will not notice much in the way of improvement. The factory head unit puts out VERY little power. When you take out your OEM speakers, you will notice tiny magnets on the speakers the size of a quarter, not kidding. They are paper, cheap, but very efficient to put out the amount of volume for such little power. To be honest, I noticed a pretty significant change when I replaced the head unit with an after market one. I got more volume and the factory speakers sounded much better. I have since replaced them with components which are powered by an external amp, so of course, that sounded even better. If you are looking at just replacing the speakers, I would look in to coaxials, since they require less power than components (mids and tweets). If you just want more volume and a little more clarity, you will be amazed at how much better your factory speakers sound with using the head unit's power of an aftermarket head unit alone. Just something to consider.

OutLander
03-14-2010, 03:37 AM
If you are using the factory head unit, then you will not notice much in the way of improvement. The factory head unit puts out VERY little power. When you take out your OEM speakers, you will notice tiny magnets on the speakers the size of a quarter, not kidding. They are paper, cheap, but very efficient to put out the amount of volume for such little power. To be honest, I noticed a pretty significant change when I replaced the head unit with an after market one. I got more volume and the factory speakers sounded much better. I have since replaced them with components which are powered by an external amp, so of course, that sounded even better. If you are looking at just replacing the speakers, I would look in to coaxials, since they require less power than components (mids and tweets). If you just want more volume and a little more clarity, you will be amazed at how much better your factory speakers sound with using the head unit's power of an aftermarket head unit alone. Just something to consider.

I am also considering replacing the speakers to get richer/deeper/better sound. If the OEM HU is not putting out enough power then would an amp be the best band for the buck? and the easiest to install?

kickin_asphalt
03-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Thought I would chime in on my plans. I'm picking up my 2010 DC (without JBL) next week. I'm taking the speakers out of my 05 4Runner which are Elemental Designs 6.5" components/coaxial (can be mounted either way). Here is the information on the speakers: Elemental Designs (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_23_127&products_id=49) I will be installing them as components up front using the sail panel as the tweeter location. They will be installed as coaxial in the rear doors.

What everyone said about stock HU power being inadequate to make aftermarket speakers do their best is correct. Since I already have these speakers, I plan to install them with the stock HU just to see how they sound. I will most likely be adding either a new HU or some sort of amp down the road. It will be a few weeks before this goes down but I will keep you guys posted.

Josh B.
03-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Polk, Rockford Fosgate, JL, Pioneer Premiere, and Infinity are all great speakers.

crash007
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I have a set of Infinity speakers that are components. They are the Kappa series and are 2ohm speakers versus 4ohm, which most are. Because of the lower impedence (2ohm vs. 4ohm), I get more volume out of them and more power out of the amp. The result is not only louder, but clearer because it is utilizing more power.

Josh B.
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
In all of my doors I run JL 6x9's under the seat I run 2 12" Alpine Type R's, and a JL 2000 watt amp. If you want a good loud thumping system this is the way to go. I can turn up the volume all the way and it still sounds crystal clear with no fuzz sounds.

07BlueStreakSR5
05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Polk Audio db series, sound great and got fronts and rears for just about $150. I went with 6.5 all around, you will have problems finding a 6x9 to fit in the front doors. I made adapters out of 3/4" MDF, but you can buy some plastic ones off ebay for $20 a pair.

I'm getting ready to replace the speakers in my '07 Crew Max. I have a pair of Polk db6501s for the front and am trying to decide if I want to go with components in the rear. Crutchfield is recommending Polk db5251 components in the rear. They say that 6.5s will not fit. Did you have any problems with the db651 in the rear?

red4rr
05-04-2010, 03:23 AM
No problems at all. They just need an adapter just like the fronts.

tundrawillie
05-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Hybrid Audio Technologies. Whether it be the Imagine, Clarus, or Legatia series, you will not find better mids/highs on the market. These are the best drivers on the market today. Bar none.

Hybrid Audio Technologies Home (http://www.hybrid-audio.com)

krewitup13
05-10-2010, 02:02 PM
FOCAL all the way

likeitloud1129
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
CDT AUDIO, RAINBOW AUDIO, RE AUDIO, FOCAL, BOSTON ACOUSTICS...all of these are off brand but the sound quality is so much clearer and better than most main line audio. Woofersetc.com has each one.

joe_schmoe
04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Resurrecting an OLD thread....I am looking to go with Focal 165 VB polyglass speakers....I keep reading about having to buiolt MDF rings or somehting??? Anybody got a thread link or actual photos of what everybody is talking aobut???

sleeper381
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Search for tacotunes

The plastic speaker adapter plates they sell are what you need to make out of MDF.