Painting chrome mirrors.. [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Painting chrome mirrors..

760TUNDIE
05-13-2010, 09:01 AM
I have a white 06 DC and want to get rid of the disgusting chrome mirrors and paint them white..:) I know a couple guys have done this and been successful, but I have painted chrome in the past and even with doing the proper prep work havent had the best luck. Looks good at first, then soon as you get one chip looks like crap!! has anyone attempted to sand the chrome comepletly off? Any suggestions?

plopdawg
03-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Hey 760TUNDIE, Great minds think alike. Just got done painting the chrome on my 02 side mirrors. I used 180 grit sandpaper(u could probably use the next bigger grit). Make sure you double mask with the blue painters tape. I thought it was plastic, but after sanding could tell it was a very thin layer of metal. Clean sanded area thoroughly. Prime 2 coat's with rustoleum automotive self etching primer from home depot. Follow directions for cure time. For final coat use a automotive high heat paint. Apply 3 coat's, first 2 coat's are thin tac coat's, and final coat is a thicker wet coat, not to thick though so it won't run. Be sure to mask off a big wide area surrounding mirrors cause overspray goes everywhere. Try to do it out of wind to protect wet paint from flying debris. Best to do it early in the day to give it time to dry properly before you drive it. Hope this helps, good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

PS: also painted my stock wheels, look great