Factory Radio [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Factory Radio

wolverine66
01-27-2011, 02:24 PM
I have the factory radio still in my truck, it NOT the shaker just the factory one that holds 1 CD and the one you can't hear driving with the windows down even when you have it on 50 volume. LOL. My question is can I hook up an aftermarket AMP to boost the volume so I can hear it when riding with window down.
Or is there something else I can hook to it to make it louder.

Thanks in advance
Wolvie

toolowtrh
01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
You're better off rippin' it and the stock speakers out and starting from scratch.....These stock radios are pathetic, plain and simple!!

DavidT.
01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
You're better off rippin' it and the stock speakers out and starting from scratch.....These stock radios are pathetic, plain and simple!!

:tu::tu::tu::tu:

mendonsy
01-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Definitely something wrong with that radio. I normally run my volume at 18-20.

chrimsonnight
01-28-2011, 06:16 AM
I agree with both Mendonsy and David T.. There is something wrong with your stock Headunit...... I have gone through the upgrade process for the sound system for our truck and the stock speakers will not handle having an amp tied into them you will blow them out shortly. If you want of need an amp then you will need to upgrade the speakers to ones that are designed to run off of an amp.

codyh12345
01-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I think part of his question is how to hook up the amp to the factory stereo... a question I also have.

Thanks in advance.

JRM93
01-28-2011, 11:42 AM
While I agree that there may be something wrong with your head unit, I seem to remember some previous posts regarding doing just what you were suggesting with adding the amp. I want to say the title of the thread was along the lines of Best Bang for your Buck stereo upgrade. I'll do a search later and see if I can find the thread. Good luck

wolverine66
01-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I did change out the Head Unit once and loved my Kenwood I put in, but lost my controls on the wheel and the blue tooth that was for that head unit sucked. And I tried other bluetooth and they all suck, wife and friends said they couldn't hear me right when talking on it. So I put the factory Head Unit back in for the controls on wheel and the bluetooth sound great and works great. So I just wanted to put AMP in to boost power and keep factory unit in place.
So can you just add an AMP or something to boost power and still keep factory unit.

Thanks
Wolvie

Barney_Fife
01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Definitely something wrong with that radio. I normally run my volume at 18-20.
some people think its not loud enough unless its ridiculously loud and loud enough for everyone around to hear it....especially the ones who talk about needing a radio to be loud enough with the windows down to hear it...u know those are the ones listening to it ridiculously loud...and the stock speakers sound like crap up that loud anyway, regardless if the windows are down or not so they are just the ones who dont get it.

wolverine66
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Well first off all I hate the people that have it so loud that everybody around there car or truck can hear it. Or so loud they can even talk to a person in their own vehicle I am saying that the factory radio in this truck sucks, I went to the dealer and ask them about the radio and they point blank told me, the only way to get a good sound and the level you are looking for is to upgrade to the next level of their radio. The radio that is in the higher price tundra. The guy and the lady both said that the radio in your truck is the bottom line of there radios. I ask other people that were in the waiting room about there radio and 4 of them said their radio were so low that they to had to turn it to 45 volume to hear it. 2 other people said that they had the radios we have and they said it was bad to hear and up graded to the better one. I don't have $800 to spend on the other radio all I asked was ONCE again can you HOOK up an AMP to a factory radio. The other radio in the higher Tundra's have the 7 speakers etc. I have 4 speakers thats all.

So can anybody answer a simple question, CAN YOU add an AMP to the piece of crap factory radio I have in my truck.

spoon059
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Yes you can. The easiest way is to get an amp with line level inputs. This means that the amp uses the stock speaker wires to get the signal as opposed to RCA cables. The sound quality won't be the same, but it accomplishes the mission.

I kept my stock stereo because I like the bluetooth and steering wheel controls. I added an amp to power a subwoofer. To do that, I tied into the rear speaker wire, which I accessed from behind the B-pillar of my doublecab. For the speakers up front, I eliminated the dash speakers and replaced the door speakers with higher quality aftermarket speakers. I haven't replaced the rear speakers yet. My sound is cleaner and louder without having to use an amp. The older I get, the less I feel the need to have ear splitting music.

I like to use Crutchfield for car audio supplies. Here is a link to their 4 channel amps with speaker level inputs. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_347050/4-channel-Amplifiers.html?tp=35782&nvpair=AG_General_Features%7cYCSpeaker_Level_Input s You get a decent amp and some nice speakers, you oughta be a lot happier.

I'm down the street in Montgomery County, I can try to help you out some if you need it.

wolverine66
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Spoon059
Thank you for your help, that is what I am looking for. I hate loud music and the radio I have in the truck sucks. I changed the head unit before with a ken wood and it was great and sound great and only had to turn it up to 10 to hear it even with the windows down. But I lost controls etc with this. The factory head unit I love cause of the controls and the Bluetooth for that unit is great.
Thanks again

Alcoholicaust
01-30-2011, 05:46 AM
PAC-SWI anyone?