Looking for specific nerf bars [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Looking for specific nerf bars

cheapskate
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I've seen what I am looking for several times on the street and once at the dealer but cant find them on line anywhere. Looking for an oval step bar that has a single strip of soft rubber built in to the bar that runs the full length of it. Not the hard moulded plastic steps. They seem to be a fairly new style I think. I just cant seem to find them on line or get a price. If any one here knows what I am talking about, please paste a link or an image and help me out please.

Remmy700P
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
try autoanything.com and/or give Chas at AJUSA a call and see if he can track it down for you.

cheapskate
03-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks Remmy.

Kind of looks like these ones only not quite as large a diameter and the rubber runs the full lenght.

Product Image (http://www.autoanything.com/GenericPages/ProductImage.aspx?GroupID=undefined&ImageID=222553&ProductID=5944)

Remmy700P
03-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Try these guys: Running Boards, Nerf Bars, & Step Bars | Free Shipping (http://www.runningboardworld.com/)

This is the closest I've seen to a full-length rubber step: http://www.runningboardworld.com/ionic-voyager.aspx

Looks like the manufacturers for oval nerf bars are Raptor, Ionic, Luverne, and Nasta.

cheapskate
03-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Try these guys: Running Boards, Nerf Bars, & Step Bars | Free Shipping (http://www.runningboardworld.com/)

This is the closest I've seen to a full-length rubber step: Ionic Voyager Oval Tube Step | Free Shipping (http://www.runningboardworld.com/ionic-voyager.aspx)

Looks like the manufacturers for oval nerf bars are Raptor, Ionic, Luverne, and Nasta.

The Ionic Gladiators are the closest to the idea I am thinking of with the rubber recessed in but those ones are more of a running board. The Voyagers from Ionic have a nicer look but they have the gap in them. I have to little kids so the last thing I want is one of them putting a wet foot on chrome and eating pavement. Thanks for the links. They are the closest match I have seen for far.

Remmy700P
03-09-2012, 07:31 PM
The Ionic Gladiators are the closest to the idea I am thinking of with the rubber recessed in but those ones are more of a running board. The Voyagers from Ionic have a nicer look but they have the gap in them. I have to little kids so the last thing I want is one of them putting a wet foot on chrome and eating pavement. Thanks for the links. They are the closest match I have seen for far.

You can always lay down a little section of that black traction tape that they use on stairways...

NETWT12
03-09-2012, 09:48 PM
MegaSteps (http://www.luvernetruck.com/Product_Line/MegaSteps/megasteps.html)
?

cheapskate
03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the links guys. Still have not found the ones I am looking for. I will probably stop by the local dealer when I get some time and see if they will tell me what brand or where they get theirs from. I am guessing the dealer will probably charge double what an aftermarket company will charge but hopefully I can get the info I want then go from there. One guy has them at work but I have no idea who he is so if I see him leaving one day I will try to flag him down or leave a note on his truck if I see it in the parking lot.

cheapskate
03-12-2012, 02:31 PM
OK, here's a link to the ones I am interested in. Check out the ones here and if anyone has seen these before, please tell me who makes them. By the way, I could only paste the link, not just the pic. Not sure how to do that so you have to click on the one called side step bars 4 inch aluminum for $629. Any help much appreciated.

TOYOTA CANADA: Tundra > Options & Accessory Pricing > Accessories (http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/tundra/options-accessory-pricing/accessories)

Remmy700P
03-12-2012, 02:58 PM
OK, here's a link to the ones I am interested in. Check out the ones here and if anyone has seen these before, please tell me who makes them. By the way, I could only paste the link, not just the pic. Not sure how to do that so you have to click on the one called side step bars 4 inch aluminum for $629. Any help much appreciated.

TOYOTA CANADA: Tundra > Options & Accessory Pricing > Accessories (http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/tundra/options-accessory-pricing/accessories)

Don't see what you're referencing at that link...

in2ba8
03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
I am in the same boat as cheapskate. I have been looking for an oval running board that is stainless steel polished or chrome that is about 5-6 inch wide. I really would like to find one that is long enough to extend past the rear doors on a '06 double cab into the cab area. I look at alot of trucks with the running boards that just fit the length of the doors. It just looks like they cut off too soon. I know they are made to assist in getting in and out of the truck, but design wise they don't flow with most trucks "lines".

Even more frustrating is that the bars or running boards that do look better are not made for 1st generation tundra's.

Any one out there have any thoughts on what might work?????

cheapskate
03-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Don't see what you're referencing at that link...

Can you see the different options or is the whole page blank? It's about half way down the page. I can enlarge the pic but I dont know how to paste just the pic.

I am in the same boat as cheapskate. I have been looking for an oval running board that is stainless steel polished or chrome that is about 5-6 inch wide. I really would like to find one that is long enough to extend past the rear doors on a '06 double cab into the cab area. I look at alot of trucks with the running boards that just fit the length of the doors. It just looks like they cut off too soon. I know they are made to assist in getting in and out of the truck, but design wise they don't flow with most trucks "lines".

Even more frustrating is that the bars or running boards that do look better are not made for 1st generation tundra's.

Any one out there have any thoughts on what might work?????

The ones I am referring to in the link are for new gen Tundra. But with end caps front and rear I am wondering if you could just buy appropriate hardware and cut these bars to fit. But I would have to think that whoever made these for gen 2 would have already done that for gen 1.

tempetom
03-12-2012, 06:14 PM
They don't have rubber the whole length, but my son and I just got some Raptors that go wheel to wheel for his Silverado. He works construction and needed nerfs to access his cross bed tool box more easily. What's the reason for full length tread?
The price was $399.

cheapskate
03-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Preference mostly. But also for safety. Chromed bars are slippery as hell if they are wet and you miss the pad. My boys are 3 and 5. I am mostly worried about them. A step would help them get in the truck, but if they miss the pad, I would not want them to face plant in the driveway. It's a long way down at that age.

in2ba8
03-13-2012, 09:10 AM
If you get a chance look at the boards on Ford's super duty pick ups. They look like similar to what you are describing. But again how to fit them to a first generation Tundra?

cheapskate
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
If you get a chance look at the boards on Ford's super duty pick ups. They look like similar to what you are describing. But again how to fit them to a first generation Tundra?

Can you paste a link to the specific ones you are talking about?
If you know who makes them, then they should be able to make them to fit any vehicle. The hard part for me right now finding out who makes the ones Toyota puts on their trucks. I should be able to order that bar but with the correct hardware for my vehicle.

Billy@AutoCustoms.com
03-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Hey Guys,

I know we're on here normally talking tonneau covers (http://tonneaucoversworld.com/). However, we're run by TruckXL and we also specialize in running boards and nerf bars (http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/). We'd love to hook you up if there is something you're interested in purchasing.

The previously mentioned Ionic Gladiator running boards (http://www.runningboardworld.com/ionic-gladiator.aspx) and the Ionic Voyager running boards (http://www.runningboardworld.com/ionic-voyager.aspx) are our very own and both have a very secure step. We completely understand the need to protect your kid's safety, and these both have some of the longest and widest steps on the market. Gladiator step pads run the full length while the Voyagers do have a small separation in the step pads. That separation is strategically placed in between the doors so it is unlikely that someone would step there.

84472 84473

We also carry Lund and any of the other brands mentioned in this thread. We will do some research and try to find exactly what you're looking for.

One newer product is the Iron Cross HD Step (http://www.runningboardworld.com/iron-cross-hd-step.aspx) - it has a more secure step than the N-Fab which tend to be slippery in wet/cold conditions.

Any of these products we can get to you muuuuch cheaper than the $629 that you're looking at. The owner of our company is a Tundra guy and he has used the Ionic Railways forever and loves them.

We can get more products than shown here but for all of our on-site running boards available for the Tundra, click here: Toyota Tundra Running Boards (http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/tundra.aspx).

Billy@AutoCustoms.com
03-14-2012, 07:59 AM
NEWS on the exact running boards that you're looking for: Rampage has some identical to the Tundra Accessories page you linked earlier. I just spoke with our Sales Manager and he had one sitting in his office! That was weird.

Anyways, they are working on the brackets still. Right now they sit a little too close to the vehicle. With these manufacturers, however, there is NO telling how long this will take. I'd hate to see you wait for something and it turn into months. Then you get mad. We don't want that. If you're serious about these, we'll do whatever it takes to get them to you ASAP. Let us know and we'll contact Rampage to see if they have anything new.

cheapskate
03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
NEWS on the exact running boards that you're looking for: Rampage has some identical to the Tundra Accessories page you linked earlier. I just spoke with our Sales Manager and he had one sitting in his office! That was weird.

Anyways, they are working on the brackets still. Right now they sit a little too close to the vehicle. With these manufacturers, however, there is NO telling how long this will take. I'd hate to see you wait for something and it turn into months. Then you get mad. We don't want that. If you're serious about these, we'll do whatever it takes to get them to you ASAP. Let us know and we'll contact Rampage to see if they have anything new.

Yes, I am serious about these bars. And yes, the price from the dealer is ridiculous, as most dealer options are. Hence why I was trying to find out who sells to them and get them from an aftermarket dealer instead. Most bars seem to run around the $350 mark which I am ok with. So thanks very much for replying and the info.
Please let me know how much they are and if you have a pic, please post just to make sure we are looking at the same thing. I would hate to order a set only to find out they are not what I was looking for. I am not in a huge rush to get these. I have had this truck for about 4 years now and never had bars on it before. But I never really saw any I liked until these ones. The Ionic's are ok but I just like the oval style better in the link I provided. Nothing wrong with the other ones, just personal preference. So I would rather wait and get what I really like then get something just because.
I looked underneath at bars at the dealership and I am guessing that it should not be that hard to mix and match some brackets but I dont know for sure. Thanks again and please post back with any more info.

Puffnstuff
03-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Truck Accessories | Westin Nerf Bars | Nifty Floor Mats | For Sale (http://www.svcustoms.com/lookup.html?selyear=2006&selmake=TOYOTA&selmodeldci=TUNDRA&selsubmodel=SR5&hdnEnvironment=&hdnSts=0&hdnUK=97682&hdnCK=&hdnCAT=&hdnQ=&hdnLK=&hdnLT=1&hdnDCIPT=&hdnOEM=&hdnUniv=&hdnMM=&hdnVQ=&hdnPQ=&hdnAP=&hdnAPFlag=&hdnPN=&hdnPT=&hdnWN=1&hdnWS=&hdnSuperCategory=&hdnCategory=&hdnSubCategory=&hdnPartType=&hdnAMLG=&hdnWareH=&hdnb2b=&hdnsessionid=&hidEngine=&hidVehicle=&hidBrand=&hidSearch=&hdnFB=&debug=&hidHiddenFields=&hidModuleConfiguration=&Reset=&hidSearch=&hidBrand=&hidEngine=&hidVehicle=)
This is reasonably close to what you want at a decent price. I bought my nasta's from these guys and they are good.

Billy@AutoCustoms.com
03-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Here are some images of the product - I hope you can ignore the background of our upstairs office. We would've thrown em on a truck for you but we only have that sample bar.

Since we don't have a price on these particular running boards yet - we'll send them out for the $350 you requested. The brackets we're sending with these running boards will work flawlessly.

If you decide that you'd like these, we'll have no delay in getting them to you. We spoke with Rampage and they're good to go on the Tundra.

in2ba8
03-15-2012, 09:35 AM
I like the look of the Ionic brand running boards. I still cannot get past the fact that the outside surface that is exposed to the weather( Michigan-salt) is ABS plastic. Understandibly they have an aluminum sub structure for strength but what about the durability of the "Chrome" finish? How well will it stand up to rock chips, scuff marks or the rare chance of rubbing against concrete or metal. I guess I am just trying to compare this material to say a stainless steel running board. Thanks

Billy@AutoCustoms.com
03-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Here is a quote from our VP on this subject:

"The Ionic running boards leave the black plastic exposed so that the debris that comes off the roads doesn't chip the chrome. You know that anything chrome is just a finish that is plated/painted over the actual part. I believe that the Ionic chrome finish holds up to all weather as good as any chrome part you will find in the automotive industry, including wheels. The ABS plastic holds up great under extreme conditions. We have placed the tube under the tires of a full size truck and the tubes didn't crack or break. I believe you will love the look and style but be even more impressed with the durability of a plastic tube. If you have any concerns with the chrome finish, then you might want to look at the all black tubes."

As I mentioned before, the owner of the company (Stuart), has had the chrome Railways on his Tundra for about 5 years now. When they're clean - they really look brand new. They're all really strong boards that are built to last.

cheapskate
03-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Here are some images of the product - I hope you can ignore the background of our upstairs office. We would've thrown em on a truck for you but we only have that sample bar.

Since we don't have a price on these particular running boards yet - we'll send them out for the $350 you requested. The brackets we're sending with these running boards will work flawlessly.

If you decide that you'd like these, we'll have no delay in getting them to you. We spoke with Rampage and they're good to go on the Tundra.

Jackpot, those are indeed the ones. Yes, I will take them. Just to be clear I have a 2005 tundra double cab. Which for that year is the 4 full size doors. And these bars run the full lenght of the cab correct?
Please tell me how to get hold of you for the transaction. I live in Canada and since I dont feel like getting raped by the tax man or import brokers on this side of the border I will probably have them shipped to Port Huron Michigan. I have a friend at work who has a post office box there. Please let me know how to get hold of you so I can order these. Thanks.

Billy@AutoCustoms.com
03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Glad we could help! We cannot ship to a PO Box but I'm sure we can work something out in that regard. I can have one of my sales guys call you or you can call us. Whatever is more convenient for you. We're open from 8am to 11pm EST.

PM us your number or however you'd like to continue.

cheapskate
03-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Glad we could help! We cannot ship to a PO Box but I'm sure we can work something out in that regard. I can have one of my sales guys call you or you can call us. Whatever is more convenient for you. We're open from 8am to 11pm EST.

PM us your number or however you'd like to continue.

Talked to buddy today at work, it's not a post office box so I am good there. I am at work right now and cant pm you. Stupid work computers. I can call your 800 number tomorrow when I get up (working the evening shift right now) so please tell me who, if anyone specific, I should talk to. I am also guessing I need a part number of some sort. Please let me know what info I need to order.
Are you open on saturdays? I might not have much time tomorrow before I head in to work and would like to order them this weekend. Let me know. Thanks.

cheapskate
03-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Truck Accessories | Westin Nerf Bars | Nifty Floor Mats | For Sale (http://www.svcustoms.com/lookup.html?selyear=2006&selmake=TOYOTA&selmodeldci=TUNDRA&selsubmodel=SR5&hdnEnvironment=&hdnSts=0&hdnUK=97682&hdnCK=&hdnCAT=&hdnQ=&hdnLK=&hdnLT=1&hdnDCIPT=&hdnOEM=&hdnUniv=&hdnMM=&hdnVQ=&hdnPQ=&hdnAP=&hdnAPFlag=&hdnPN=&hdnPT=&hdnWN=1&hdnWS=&hdnSuperCategory=&hdnCategory=&hdnSubCategory=&hdnPartType=&hdnAMLG=&hdnWareH=&hdnb2b=&hdnsessionid=&hidEngine=&hidVehicle=&hidBrand=&hidSearch=&hdnFB=&debug=&hidHiddenFields=&hidModuleConfiguration=&Reset=&hidSearch=&hidBrand=&hidEngine=&hidVehicle=)
This is reasonably close to what you want at a decent price. I bought my nasta's from these guys and they are good.
Thanks for the link Puff but I will be ordering the ones in the pic from Tonneaucovers.

Billy@AutoCustoms.com
03-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Yes we are open on Saturdays - if you call today, use our Running Board Warehouse (http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/) phone number 1-888-257-3111. Use extension 409 or ask for Dean. He works until 6 today. Just let him know you're from Tundra Solutions and he knows all about your order.

cheapskate
03-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes we are open on Saturdays - if you call today, use our Running Board Warehouse (http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/) phone number 1-888-257-3111. Use extension 409 or ask for Dean. He works until 6 today. Just let him know you're from Tundra Solutions and he knows all about your order.

Placed the order today. Now I just have to wait. I will post back with pics once I get them installed. Might take a few more weeks but I will post back.
Thanks for all the help so far. Much appreciated.

Billy@AutoCustoms.com
03-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Placed the order today. Now I just have to wait. I will post back with pics once I get them installed. Might take a few more weeks but I will post back.
Thanks for all the help so far. Much appreciated.

Awesome, thanks for your business! We will be looking forward to the pics once you have them installed!

cheapskate
03-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Awesome, thanks for your business! We will be looking forward to the pics once you have them installed!

Just checked the order today and it still says "processing". I would have thought that it would say in transit or shipped by now. Do you know if they have left the warehouse yet?

cheapskate
05-19-2012, 11:49 AM
OK, so I said I would post back with pics after I finally got the bars and installed them. Unfortunately at this time I can not post a pic. My kids were helping me with the install and ever since then I can not find the camera. I took pics of the underside and everything so other would know exactly how to install them. Once I find the camera I will put up the pics.
Install was pretty easy. About an hour like the directions said. Perfect fit and look good.
2 downsides to the install. The directions were welfare to say the least. No pictures at all so I stood there scratching my head longer than it took me to install the bars. One picture would have made it ten times easier to install. You get an extra set of u shaped brackets that are not needed so that threw me off too. There are 2 types of brackets that you use. Once is specifically for the front side that is not labelled as such and the other 3 per side are all the same. The other issue was the hardware. It did not come with enough hardware for the install. I just went to home depot and got more nuts and washers to finish the job. I could have called tonneau covers and got enough I'm sure but no point in waiting. All is good now and they do the job.....................then I sold them yesterday. Toyota red tag deals are on right now and with my work discount I just could not pass up on a brand new 2012 TRD crew max. I have not taken deliver of the new truck yet, hell, I dont even know how long it will take. But I have not had the time to pull bars or my intake off before I trade this one in so I am not really in a rush yet. I just got my viper remote starter out on thursday. Monday is a holiday here this weekend so I will pull the bars and the intake tomorrow. Once that is done I will call the dealer to get a delivery date.
I will post up some pics of the new ride once I get it............and find the damn camera too.

Remmy700P
05-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Wow! That's a change in direction!! Nerf bars to a brand new truck!!! LOL!! That's like going out for a burger and coming back with a new 100 acre farm!!

cheapskate
05-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Wow! That's a change in direction!! Nerf bars to a brand new truck!!! LOL!! That's like going out for a burger and coming back with a new 100 acre farm!!

I know, I'm an idiot. But when you buy the burger and get the farm for less than half price, it's hard to pass it up.
All said and done, including my trade in, my out the door price was $26, 500. I really dont need a new truck, but I wont get any more for my trade in down the road so I just thought, what hell, might as well pull the trigger now. At least as brand new I will know exactly what was done with it and will start oil spraying it right from brand new. I would like to keep this one for a very long time. Now I just have to find out when the hell the new one gets here. I will let you know once I get it.

cpearson817
05-21-2012, 10:47 AM
I know, I'm an idiot. But when you buy the burger and get the farm for less than half price, it's hard to pass it up.
All said and done, including my trade in, my out the door price was $26, 500. I really dont need a new truck, but I wont get any more for my trade in down the road so I just thought, what hell, might as well pull the trigger now. At least as brand new I will know exactly what was done with it and will start oil spraying it right from brand new. I would like to keep this one for a very long time. Now I just have to find out when the hell the new one gets here. I will let you know once I get it.
And you will post pictures, LOTS of pictures :)

cheapskate
05-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I will, I promise. I just refuse to buy a new camera right now. I know it's here somewhere, I just havent had the time to tear the house apart room by room to find it. It's probably stuffed in a shoe or some other bizarre place so I know it will turn up sooner or later. And when it does I will not only post the pics here for the how to on board install, but of the new rig as well..........whenever the hell it shows up. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and ask him where the hell it is. He has not even given me a vin yet. That should have been done in a few days. Damn, just remembered, that salesman is off on tuesdays so I wont hear back from him till wednesday.

cheapskate
06-02-2012, 02:21 PM
OK, here's the link to the new truck. Only 1 pic so far but it's bone stock so not much else to see. And no, still cant find my camera. Borrowed my moms. Yes, I am pathetic but I still refused to give in on that.
And dont worry my gen 1 brethren, not leaving, just went to the dark side ;)

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/227136-my-brand-new-ride/#post1811729