Is towing 9500lbs fully loaded 32ft toy hauler too much for Tundra Crewmax [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Is towing 9500lbs fully loaded 32ft toy hauler too much for Tundra Crewmax

AlaskaTundraMan
05-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Hey guys,

Just need some advice. Is towing a 9500lbs fully loaded 32 foot toy hauler too much for a 2011 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior? I bought a keystone energy toy hauler 32 foot this weekend. It weights over 7000lbs dry weight. Once I add water, fuel, food, gear, I figure I will be over 9500lbs total weight. Will this be too much for a 2011 tundra crewmax to handle? Please advise. Does anybody else tow this much with their Tundra? If so, what do they do to strengthen the Tundra for this serious tow loads? Any advice is helpful. Thanks guys.

nsxman2001
05-27-2012, 10:16 PM
your going to need E rated tires, air bags and a good weigh distribution hitch... I use the blue OX brand so far in my own opinion its the best of them all.. Oh also a brake controller.. You should be just fine

happy motoring

TundraRockWarrior
05-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Well, your load rating is about 1375 lbs. A 9500 lbs trailer with 10% tongue weight puts 950 lbs on the truck. a little more with a fifth wheel. The weight rating assumes a 150 lb driver without any passengers or payload. I suspect yopu are over the weight rating for the truck, but how much really depends on what other items are in the truck and extra passengers.

11Tundra
05-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Hey guys,

Just need some advice. Is towing a 9500lbs fully loaded 32 foot toy hauler too much for a 2011 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior? I bought a keystone energy toy hauler 32 foot this weekend. It weights over 7000lbs dry weight. Once I add water, fuel, food, gear, I figure I will be over 9500lbs total weight. Will this be too much for a 2011 tundra crewmax to handle? Please advise. Does anybody else tow this much with their Tundra? If so, what do they do to strengthen the Tundra for this serious tow loads? Any advice is helpful. Thanks guys.

IMO, you're in 3/4 ton territory with that kind of load, and max'd out (with your Tundra) from a safety and mechanical perspective. A friend of mine tows his 9500++ lb. toy hauler (loaded weight) cross-country with his 2010 3/4 ton 6.7 Cummins diesel which has a max tow-rating of 13,000 lbs. He personally feels this toy hauler is the most he feels comfortable towing long-distances in terms of mechanical longevity and safety. I recently towed this same toy hauler with my 5.7 Tundra for 15 miles as a favor to him to get it serviced. Had enough power, but it was obvious the suspension was max'd out. Some feel comfortable towing under these conditions, but I don't.

Ref the use of air bags, they may lift the rear-end up and improve handling dynamics, but they do nothing to relieve the mechanical stress on the rear axle and drivetrain.

BustaCapGains
06-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't think 9500 is a problem real world as I have been towing that much since I bought my Tundtra in 2008 and have 100,000 miles on it without a glitch. I tow in the winter to Glamis with a 27ft fully loaded to 9900#'s (sometimes through severe wind) and in the Summer I tow the same trailer minus the toys to the lake in 115 degree heat around 7500#'s through the mountains.

The only question I have is, is your trailer weight. My 27ft is about as light weight as they come with aluminum frame, radius roof and so on...it doesn't even have a ladder and only has one battery and they looked at every possible place to shave weight and fully loaded its 9900. Depends on what toys your hauling, I would think at 32ft you are approaching 11,000 fully loaded. And I would recommend the Reese dual cam WD with sway control, especially at the 32ft. I have airbags and E rated tires and upgraded rotors as well. My 27ft glides down the freeway...its really pretty amazing. I am constantly amazed at how well these trucks tow.

hnd2hnd
06-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Busta,,,That is good info.. thanks .. I pull a John Deers 4105 with loader and box blade about 6500# with trailer. I am constantly asked how my tundra pulls.. It pulls almost as well as my "94 dodge diesel..3/4 Ton.. What brand airbags do you use.

BustaCapGains
06-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Busta,,,That is good info.. thanks .. I pull a John Deers 4105 with loader and box blade about 6500# with trailer. I am constantly asked how my tundra pulls.. It pulls almost as well as my "94 dodge diesel..3/4 Ton.. What brand airbags do you use.

I use the Air Lift Loadlifter 5000. They are total overkill. At 30PSI I have yet to load anything that can even move them a quarter inch. They can handle 100PSI. I ran the stems to the rear to each side of my license plate and inflate/deflate them with a Crafsman battery powered cordless inflator. Link here: http://community.craftsman.com/Craftsman-C3-19-2-volt-Cordless-Inflator-reviews

I (http://community.craftsman.com/Craftsman-C3-19-2-volt-Cordless-Inflator-reviews) leave it in my truck and use it all the time. Its perfect. I also use it out at the dunes to inflate quad tires and tires on my SXS - keep in mind we only inflate these to around 5PSI. This unit isn't good to inflate a full size tire, but its perfect for air bags. But most importantly I use it as an accurate guage. Its good up to 100PSI and its dead on. I was going to install the wireless auto leveling system Air Lift has but the manual route has worked well so no need to sped the extra $350 for it.

Ya, anytime I stop to fill up and am hauling my toy hauler I get asked how it tows. (well, by most people with gas 1/2 tons and by a few with diesels..). For what I tow, I can't imagine you can find much out there that tows better in this class. And anytime anyone asks about how it tows or questions on this board, I recommend the Reese dual Cam. Its insane how well it makes the truck handle in heavy wind situations as well as regular highway towing. When passing rigs is almost like driving by with no trailer at all. I have to hand it to Reese, they really made a product that actually works.