Low Fuel indicator [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Low Fuel indicator

SteveA
01-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Was wondering if anyone else notices this...

My 05 DC is supposed to have a 26 gal fuel tank.

First few times when it hit empty, I filled it up...20 gal.

Hummm....I thought it was 26 gal?

So this time the low fuel indicator comes on...I drive 40 more miles..

Now I am sure I must be riding on fumes...take it in and fill it up...23.3 gal.

There was still over 2.5 gallons left??? I don't like to run it down that empty..just didn't get time to fill it up. But what is with the guage and the Low fuel indicator??
Steve

Haoleb
01-26-2005, 12:25 PM
apparently the fuel light comes on when you have 6 gallons left in the tank. While it might be kinda hard to tell just how much gas you really have left once that light does come on, i'd have to admit that id rather have the light come on with 6 gallons left in the tank then say, 1. :)

dsrtrcr01
01-26-2005, 12:46 PM
I have the same truck and when the light comes on it takes about 20 gallons meaning i had 6 left. Seems to come on a little soon for my taste. But i guess i won't run out if I just believe what the light is saying. :confused:

4cloud9
01-26-2005, 02:04 PM
My dad told me a story one time, that his friend went 50 miles with the gas light on. But he said the guy didn't start clocking the milage till the gas light was constantly on and not turning off and on. Not sure if the truck the guy owned was a v6 or the 4 banger, though?

But think about it how many toyotas, in general, do you see on the side of the road. You can almost bet that the reason they are on the side of the road, is do to driver neglect or poor maintence.

wylcat
01-26-2005, 02:40 PM
I have been told that the fuel keeps the pump cool and lubricated and that you should not drive till empty all the time cause it will shorten the life of the pump. also in my own thought process, it makes sence that if you run it almost to empty you run the risk of picking up any trash that may be floating arount the bottom of the tank.

toyotafreak
01-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Although it's good that you might not see us on the side of the road, I've definitely stopped for fuel more often than others, and in fact made my 'caravan' stop for fuel before they were ready. This wasn't really because of poor fuel mileage, but rather the small tank. "Them Sequoias really suck down the fuel - we had to stop twice for gas" type of crap. When pulling the boat, I average 10.5 mpg. With a 23 gallon tank, plus a safety reserve when you're going across a desert....it doesn't leave a lot of useable range.

One gripe in a short list.

pagemaster
01-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Whenever my light comes on I usually fill up with about 87 litres. It takes about 5 more dollars once the automatic stopper clicks in on the pump.

I wish the Tundra had a range computer to help judge exactly how far you can go or a fuel meter that tells you how much fuel in liters or gallons are left in the tank.