05 Tacoma brakes [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: 05 Tacoma brakes

05tacoman
02-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Does anyone else feel that the brakes on the 05 Tacoma are a little mushy?I think that the brake pedal travels too far.

bb7508
02-03-2005, 01:52 PM
My brakes don't feel mushy. But I do have another potential issue (I think I saw a posted a little while ago, but I didn't have my truck then). When I brake hard, I notice that there's a disconcerting sounds -- like a low but loud whirring -- that happens right when I hit the break. It is NOT the ABS working which I can hear and feel separately. Is this the EBD in action? It does not sound pleasant.

mitchr
02-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Not to change the subject, but how have the brakes been doing overall on the 05 Taco? Are these the same brakes that were on the 04? Any vibration issues? My brakes have never been satisfatory on my 2000 Tundra and if I had not gotten my rear brake problems fixed I was going to trade it in.

Mitch

TacomaOffRoadGrl
02-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Does anyone else feel that the brakes on the 05 Tacoma are a little mushy?I think that the brake pedal travels too far.

My brakes took some getting used to as they seemed to have more "play" than I was used to in other trucks. After having it for a little over 2 months now I don't notice it. I just assumed it was normal, not sure though.

LTech221
02-03-2005, 04:49 PM
I hit my brakes hard once when those storms passed over southern ca. Some stupid guy cut me off and i slammed the brakes I heard what i thought was a loud grinding type noise, not sure what that was but havent heard it since. Dealer said they were fine and I shouldnt worry but they were stumped on the noise I heard.

NicksToy
02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
My only issue with the brakes is that when I brake from highway speeds, around 32 mph the transmission downshifts which sends a little shudder through the entire truck. It happens again when the transmission downwhifts around 20 mph. If I'm braking downhill, the shudder is worse, more like a steady vibration from 32-20 mph.

bb7508
02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I hit my brakes hard once when those storms passed over southern ca. Some stupid guy cut me off and i slammed the brakes I heard what i thought was a loud grinding type noise, not sure what that was but havent heard it since. Dealer said they were fine and I shouldnt worry but they were stumped on the noise I heard.

That describes what I heard as well. All I can think is that it's the EBD, but it didn't sound reassuring.

Sennasixty8
02-03-2005, 05:43 PM
I don't care too much for the feel of these NEW 2005 brakes. In fact, I feel that my 2002 Taco Prerunner stopped WAAAAAY better, and had a VERY sensitive brake feel to it, and in some ways maybe too sensitive. Nonetheless, they aren't as good as the old truck, at least in 'feel'

my 02. :D

tbrown78
02-03-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't care too much for the feel of these NEW 2005 brakes. In fact, I feel that my 2002 Taco Prerunner stopped WAAAAAY better, and had a VERY sensitive brake feel to it, and in some ways maybe too sensitive. Nonetheless, they aren't as good as the old truck, at least in 'feel'

my 02. :D

I agree. I liked the feel of the old brakes better. The feel was firm and it felt like it was ready to stop fast if needed. My 05's brakes are better at stopping quickly then my 02's were it's just the feel is softer and is not my preference when it comes to brake feel.

Avro125
02-03-2005, 06:39 PM
My brakes have a spongy feel too.

I guess I'm getting used to it, but I prefer a brake pedal with a short, firm travel.

tacomarq
02-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I noticed that the brakes from my prerunner 05 felt so different than the ones from the prerunner 04 that I drove for a year. I took my truck to the dealer a few weeks after I purchased it. They stated that that is how they make the brakes now. I was not happy with their answer and asked them to checked the brakes. They took the tires off and inspected the brake system. They found nothing wrong with them. The feel of the brake system is still the same. For some reason the feel of the brakes of my 04 was better.

nightman
02-03-2005, 08:19 PM

I get that grinding noise too. Hey everyone try haaard breaking on on a slightly slipery surface (CAREFUL BE SAFE) & see if you get this grinding noise I can also feel it at brake pedal. I have an apointment with dealer service for tire balancing in 2 weeks.Will asked about this noise & that cab mount noise while I'm there.

tbrown78
02-03-2005, 08:22 PM
I get that grinding noise too. Hey everyone try haaard breaking on on a slightly slipery surface (CAREFUL BE SAFE) & see if you get this grinding noise I can also feel it at brake pedal. I have an apointment with dealer service for tire balancing in 2 weeks.Will asked about this noise & that cab mount noise while I'm there.

Are you sure it's not the ABS?

matt30
02-03-2005, 10:05 PM
The ABS is the only thing that makes a grinding noise when breaking hard on a slipery surface. Thats what ABS is for.

gogga02
02-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Must be the ABS.

Happens with my Golf too. In fact, the only time its come into play was on an icy surface this past Christmas when I was trying not to fly through the stop street.

demoncleaner
02-04-2005, 05:18 AM
The grinding is ABS as many have said. yes it may feel weird, and you'll feel in vibrate on the pedal. Totally normal. Over the past couple weeks been testing my new snow tires, does it when you really hammer the brakes.
One note about the brakes themselves, I'd rate them as just OK. You guys in flatland may not notice, but I drop 500 vertical feet in a half mile to get down my road everyday. My brakes get a workout daily even with the tranny in 3rd (6spd manual) all the way down. They still give off a brake stink at the bottom with 2200 miles. My old Ranger and wifes car don't. From what I read, almost everything on truck was redesigned. But the brakes are not new, and the truck weighs 350-400 lbs more than the previous model. They have to work harder. I'll be lucky to make it 25,000 miles before I'm replacing brakes.

bb7508
02-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Must be the ABS.

Happens with my Golf too. In fact, the only time its come into play was on an icy surface this past Christmas when I was trying not to fly through the stop street.

I've had ABS in several cars and I have never heard this grinding before until now.

RallyFan
02-04-2005, 06:15 AM
From what I can tell, there are two distinct noises. One is definitely the ABS with its distinct brake trepidation but the other must be the Brake Assist. I don't know much about this system but I agree with other that say that it feels weird. The noise is quite loud and it seems to prolong for some time even after I release the brake pressure. I should take a look at the manual to see if I find any explanations...

lelandstanford
02-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Is it possible some air in the brake line that's causing the mushy feel? How about tighten up the brake shoes?

matt30
02-04-2005, 09:08 AM
From what I can tell, there are two distinct noises. One is definitely the ABS with its distinct brake trepidation but the other must be the Brake Assist. I don't know much about this system but I agree with other that say that it feels weird. The noise is quite loud and it seems to prolong for some time even after I release the brake pressure. I should take a look at the manual to see if I find any explanations...

All brake force distribution does is put more pressure on the rear brakes rather than the front to help control nose dive...that shouldn't make any noise.

When you hear a "grinding" noise and the brake pedal dosn't move untill that grinding noise stops, that's ABS doing its job. Most people driving ford focus's will never even feel the effects of ABS because they never take the car to the point of skidding.

When ABS sees the wheels are starting to slip on the road it pulses the brakes 1,000 times a second in order to keep them rolling and apply brake force at the same time.

Larakin
02-04-2005, 09:52 AM
I have noticed that the ABS come on FAR easier than any other vehicle I have driven even when not slipping very much at all they seem to engage. IN my Explorer and Saab the tires would skid a liitle before the abs Kicked in.

bb7508
02-04-2005, 11:03 AM
All brake force distribution does is put more pressure on the rear brakes rather than the front to help control nose dive...that shouldn't make any noise.

When you hear a "grinding" noise and the brake pedal dosn't move untill that grinding noise stops thats ABS doing its job. Most people driving ford focus's will never even feel the effects of ABS because they never take the car to the point of skidding.

When ABS sees the wheels are starting to slip on the road it pulses the brakes 1,000 times a second in order to keep them rolling and apply brake force at the same time.

This grinding noise does NOT occur on other cars with ABS and yes, I have actuated the ABS many times on other cars. I know what it sounds and feels like. Perhaps Toyota's ABS is different that the other ten cars I've driven with ABS but that seems unlikely.

BTW, Matt, do you have a 2005 Tacoma? I'm wondering if you've heard this also and still believe it's normal. I guess if it is just Toyota's ABS system working, then fine, but others who have been in the car when it goes off had all asked what that sound was.

mafan
02-04-2005, 11:14 AM
It is interesting, actually... I have had the same experience with ABS in each of my trucks (a Dakota, an F150 and now a Tacoma), however, I have not felt this in passenger cars with ABS. Potentially, just different setup/experience given the added variables (weight, momentum, etc) that a truck provides.

matt30
02-04-2005, 02:56 PM
This grinding noise does NOT occur on other cars with ABS and yes, I have actuated the ABS many times on other cars. I know what it sounds and feels like. Perhaps Toyota's ABS is different that the other ten cars I've driven with ABS but that seems unlikely.

BTW, Matt, do you have a 2005 Tacoma? I'm wondering if you've heard this also and still believe it's normal. I guess if it is just Toyota's ABS system working, then fine, but others who have been in the car when it goes off had all asked what that sound was.

Don't have a Tacoma..... 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 and its normal. There's even a note in the owners manual that describes the ABS sound exactly.

The only toyota vehicle I have is a Toyota Camery

bb7508
02-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Don't have a Tacoma..... 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 and its normal. There's even a note in the owners manual that describes the ABS sound exactly.

The only toyota vehicle I have is a Toyota Camery

That's interesting. The funny thing about the grinding noise I hear is that it's almost like a buzzing sound -- doesn't seem like it's part of the normal ABS sounds. Anyway, I guess we'll see if there's a TSB for it :)

Two4X4
02-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I have had several cars with ABS. Cars and trucks eith ABS tend to have mushy pedals and they ALL made noises like grining noises when the ABS was activated. The pedal is supposed to pulse to let you know the system is working---it is a driver feedback feature to let you know your on the edge of traction. Trucks tend to activate the ABS more than cars because the rear ends are somewhat lighter and more skid prone. Your trucks are behaving normally.

XRunner17
02-06-2005, 11:11 PM
For those of you who feel your brakes are "spingy" you maight want to buy these 2005 Tacoma Trd Brake pads, 50 bucks pop might significantly improve the performance www.trdusa.com , otherwise www.sosperf.com has a "Project X" X-Runner they have intalled 10" rear disc conversion as opposed to the drums. I was thinking of ordering the Trd Brake Pads but think I'll hold out for some 12" Discs to swap out on the front :devil:

lelandstanford
02-07-2005, 06:43 AM
TRD brake pads are made by Performance Friction.

jw1308
02-08-2005, 11:13 AM
I have a 2005 Tundra Dbl Cab. When coming to a stop, the brakes are fairly soft, but if I pump them once, they are much firmer. Almost feels like they need to be bled. Seem to stop fairly well either way, but feels firmer after one pump.

Alin10123
02-16-2005, 10:00 PM
For those of you who feel your brakes are "spingy" you maight want to buy these 2005 Tacoma Trd Brake pads, 50 bucks pop might significantly improve the performance www.trdusa.com , otherwise www.sosperf.com has a "Project X" X-Runner they have intalled 10" rear disc conversion as opposed to the drums. I was thinking of ordering the Trd Brake Pads but think I'll hold out for some 12" Discs to swap out on the front :devil:

If you want a firmer brake feel can't you just buy some SS brake lines and install them to improve brake feel? Has anyone here tried those?

thanks

thruster
05-17-2005, 05:38 PM
I had took my 2005 tacoma on some dirt roads this past weekend and got it a little muddy now I have notice when I apply the brakes softly that I feel a grind in the pedal but is not constent but when I apply them hard I don't feel it. Any sugguestions on what it could be?