Inverter Coolant change required? [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Inverter Coolant change required?

tai
03-30-2006, 10:50 AM
About to get the 30,000 mile service on my 05 Prius and was told that one of the services required was a change out of the Inverter Coolant. I checked the service checklist and it only says; check inverter coolant. Anyone aware of this "required" change out. The reason I ask is that everything else one could do themselves, filters, oil change, fluid levels, rotate tires, etc. But the charge is over $300.00 The fluid changeout must be expensive?

Has anyone had this service done on their Prius (coolant changeout)

Love the car and would buy another in a heartbeat, however the wait in Austin was one year!

theyotaguy
04-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Toyota says that the first change-out of their "super-long life" coolant is @ 100,000 miles,and every 50,000 after that.Only you can decide if you wish to maintain your vehicle at a higher level than they recommend based on your intended longevity of the vehicle.Comments on this forum will range from exasperation over the price at the "stealer"ship to recommending the clear universal crap from Prestone.Other than saying please don't use the clear crap,I'm kinda weary of the debate and will leave it up to you.

mustang67408
04-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Word of warning : If you change the INVERETER COOLANT. BE CAREFUL to make sure the system is bled of all AIR POCKETS. I usually drain the system, fill it, let it run for 15 minutes (switch on , no ready light- this runs the inverter coolant pump) check the level in the resovoir and open the air bleeds to allow trapped air to escape. I continue to do this for 1- 1 1/2 hrs. Then give it a good roadtest and check for air 1 last time.
If the Inverter overheats, weird things start to happen.
Please use only the Toyota recommended coolant, its premixed.
If you use something else and dont get the mixture correct it will cause other problems, such as overheating the inverter.

Personally the Toyota stuff lasts along time in the inverter, it basically just circulates and only gets hot from electrical components, unlike the coolant in an engine that takes alot more abuse.

theyotaguy
04-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Word of warning : If you change the INVERETER COOLANT. BE CAREFUL to make sure the system is bled of all AIR POCKETS. I usually drain the system, fill it, let it run for 15 minutes (switch on , no ready light- this runs the inverter coolant pump) check the level in the resovoir and open the air bleeds to allow trapped air to escape. I continue to do this for 1- 1 1/2 hrs. Then give it a good roadtest and check for air 1 last time.
If the Inverter overheats, weird things start to happen.
Please use only the Toyota recommended coolant, its premixed.
If you use something else and dont get the mixture correct it will cause other problems, such as overheating the inverter.

Personally the Toyota stuff lasts along time in the inverter, it basically just circulates and only gets hot from electrical components, unlike the coolant in an engine that takes alot more abuse.

And at what mileage do you recommend a change?;)

mustang67408
04-01-2006, 01:24 PM
And at what mileage do you recommend a change?;)
Whatever the standard 05 Prius manual says. (100K) Attached is the sheet we use straight from Toyota.
Doing earlier IMO doesnt do much, but like you said
Only you(he) can decide if you(he) wishes to maintain your(his) vehicle at a higher level than they recommend based on your intended longevity of the vehicle.Its his vehicle.
I am only talking about the INVETER.
Just trying to warn him or anyone, if they do their own coolant change to be careful. The invereter is a bear to get rid of air pockets

theyotaguy
04-01-2006, 01:34 PM
They are the same coolant and the same interval according to Toyota.I just presented facts,as debates like this have really started to wear on me:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/engine-and-drivetrain/58760-coolant-change-question/#post451233

So what do you recommend for engine coolant?;)

I'm not fond of the extended drain intervals either,but the DIY'ers that decide to do maint. more frequently aren't the ones being called "stealers" all over the forums either.And some days it seems like every customer that opts to have their coolant changed earlier also has a DIY pal more than willing to tell them how bad they got ripped off,even though they do the same thing to their own.......blah,blah,blah......I'm not trying to put you on the spot,Victor-I know you experience the hypocracy of it all,too

mustang67408
04-01-2006, 01:48 PM
They are the same coolant and the same interval according to Toyota.I just presented facts,as debates like this have really started to wear on me: I agree with you.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/engine-and-drivetrain/58760-coolant-change-question/#post451233

So what do you recommend for engine coolant?;) In the prius 100K like the factory says, the engine may start and stop alot more than most engines, but doesnt nearly runs as long. The transaxle/generator takes more abuse than anyting else. I would probably service it more than recommended.

I'm not fond of the extended drain intervals either,but the DIY'ers that decide to do maint. more frequently aren't the ones being called "stealers" all over the forums either.
I dont like the long oil change intervals either. I am old school, so it might just be a matter of mind set. I change it at 2500miles, no- if -ands or -buts.
I service the diff in my truck every other oil change.
I service the trans every other oil change and flushed it at 15K and 30K miles. Mostly the reason i do it is because I can and it doesnt cost $$$$.
I serviced most of all my other vehicles as recommended and they all lasted a long time.
Theres more in life to worry about than Cooalnt PH/Acidity, Oil analysis, ect....YAWN ;)

jimb1300
09-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Toyota says that the first change-out of their "super-long life" coolant is @ 100,000 miles,and every 50,000 after that.Only you can decide if you wish to maintain your vehicle at a higher level than they recommend based on your intended longevity of the vehicle.Comments on this forum will range from exasperation over the price at the "stealer"ship to recommending the clear universal crap from Prestone.Other than saying please don't use the clear crap,I'm kinda weary of the debate and will leave it up to you.

Hi, a little help please... I understand this fluid is coolant for the inverter similar to the engine coolant. What would be the effect of adding brake fluid to the inverter fluid. This has occured on my 02 Prius....Thanks.

mustang67408
09-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Hi, a little help please... I understand this fluid is coolant for the inverter similar to the engine coolant. What would be the effect of adding brake fluid to the inverter fluid. This has occured on my 02 Prius....Thanks.
If the brake fluid is not flushed out it MIGHT swell all the rubber hoses and affect the PLASTIC INVERTER WATERPUMP. It all depends on how much was added, Did the coolant absorb the brake fluid like water does?
I would not take a chance on it.
I would have someone who knows how.... flush that system.
The Inverter coolant system is very difficult to service as it will develop
an air pocket and has to be bled out. It takes usually in excess of 1 hr to do this time consuming job.

DRIVER_X
12-15-2006, 01:44 PM
This is a pretty important subject. I am amazed this thread has so few posts.

Here is my 2 cents on the subject..

I currently have over 165k on my 04' Prii. Before I got my car in July 04', I drove a combined 70k on 3 leased 04' Prius.

I found ALL, I stress again, ALL of the dealers in my area are pretty ignorant about the car. If you are a dealer tech and you are reading this I just want you to know I don't mean to offend you.

.. I never changed my coolant not because I don't want to maintain the service schedule... I WON'T do it because I don't want my car to be a Guinea Pigs for the 'supposedly' highly Training Prius Tech! I spoke to many shops in my area, everyone of them 'knows' what to do but everyone of them is telling me a different way on how to do it right.. for starter, half of them are sure the invertor/elec. motor coolant is part of the engine cooling system.. half of them 'think' they are separated.. well?? Which one is it?

I don't claim to know about the stability of the long life fluid made by Toyota, however Knowing somewhat the design for Prius, I see very little chance the exhaust or engine oil can seep through into the cooling system like a 'normal' gasoline engine because of the substantially lower stress on the engine. Premixed with de-ionized water at the factory, I also see very little chance the coolant in the system can corrode anything prematurely. On the other hand, I can totally see a dealer tech not knowing what to do and ending up left behind pockets of air in the system.. AND adding tap water with questionable quality into the cooling system which WILL MOST DEFINITELY leaves behind calcium/chlorine in your cooling system. Worst yet, they might offer to 'flush' the system with machine that will basically 'vacuum' the coolant in the system out, which COULD potentially putting unnecessary stress on the head gasket or seals..

My advice, if you know someone who really really knows what to do.. change your coolant at 100K. If not, don't change it until you find a qualified person to do it.. I am here to tell you, my coolant in both reservoirs are as red and as clean as the day I got my car.. I'll take my chance here.. Until I am comfortable enough with the tech. I won't change it!

mustang67408
12-15-2006, 02:41 PM
This is a pretty important subject. I am amazed this thread has so few posts.

Here is my 2 cents on the subject..

I currently have over 165k on my 04' Prii. Before I got my car in July 04', I drove a combined 70k on 3 leased 04' Prius. Great Car :tu:

I found ALL, I stress again, ALL of the dealers in my area are pretty ignorant about the car. If you are a dealer tech and you are reading this I just want you to know I don't mean to offend you. :ts: Some of us appreciate this.:D

.. I never changed my coolant not because I don't want to maintain the service schedule... I WON'T do it because I don't want my car to be a Guinea Pigs for the 'supposedly' highly Training Prius Tech! I spoke to many shops in my area, everyone of them 'knows' what to do but everyone of them is telling me a different way on how to do it right.. for starter, half of them are sure the invertor/elec. motor coolant is part of the engine cooling system.. half of them 'think' they are separated.. well?? Which one is it? They are 2 completly different systems, each has its own pump and resovoir.

I don't claim to know about the stability of the long life fluid made by Toyota, however Knowing somewhat the design for Prius, I see very little chance the exhaust or engine oil can seep through into the cooling system like a 'normal' gasoline engine because of the substantially lower stress on the engine. Premixed with de-ionized water at the factory, I also see very little chance the coolant in the system can corrode anything prematurely. On the other hand, I can totally see a dealer tech not knowing what to do and ending up left behind pockets of air in the system.. AND adding tap water with questionable quality into the cooling system which WILL MOST DEFINITELY leaves behind calcium/chlorine in your cooling system. Worst yet, they might offer to 'flush' the system with machine that will basically 'vacuum' the coolant in the system out, which COULD potentially putting unnecessary stress on the head gasket or seals..

My advice, if you know someone who really really knows what to do.. change your coolant at 100K. If not, don't change it until you find a qualified person to do it.. I am here to tell you, my coolant in both reservoirs are as red and as clean as the day I got my car.. I'll take my chance here.. Until I am comfortable enough with the tech. I won't change it!

2000-2003 Prius have the Normal long life coolant, 30K miles interval change as told to us by toyota (see attachment "2002")

2004-->present Have SUPER long life coolant, reccommended change @ 100K (see attchment "2004coolant")

The attachment "2004" is for a 30K mile service and doesnt not reccommend any coolant change at all.

Prius engines dont run all the time. I agree with you and dont change it until 100K.

I have attached a picture that shows the ENGINE cooling system.

I have attached a picture of the inverter cooling system. It uses the lower part of the radiator.
The Vehicle radiator is actually 2 radiators in 1.
The top half is for the engine and the lower 1/2 is for the inverter.

I hope this helps clear things up for you.

Jmbeam
03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
CAn you provide the pictures that you talked about in this post?

LordGreystoke422
06-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I have the right coolant to add...WHERE do I add it..I think I had a leak..and can the system be bled without the scantool? I know where the resevoir is... but where is the add point?

mustang67408
06-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Maybe this will help

LordGreystoke422
06-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Ok...so the bleeder plug is the little rubber cap on top of the straight tube with hose attached to it in front of the synergy drive under the plastic cover plate?
Also when they reference turning the power on...is that the power for the car? or is that for a special tool?

Durrr..and I thought that resevoir was for the engine coolant..but now..where the hell does the engine coolant go?
Also..what's that bottle that is stuck in the front bumper? I had gotten the impression that was the inverter coolant reservoir...which is part of where I thought I might have a leak...AHH the joys of message boards...haha

I know I am having some inverter cooling issues...
My inverter fluid level shows right above low
car does all kinds of wonky things once the car has been driven for a while and go away once has sat and cooled and comes back once its been driven a bit and heated up....also this becomes less pronouced when the temperature outside is rather cool..in fact they went away when the weather got rather cool..except for very extreme driving..then they showed back up but only when engaged in a lot of fast stop and go(which I suspect engaged the inverter more)..
I recall having gone to a friends shop and he pulled some codes for me..I think I had a inverter cooling fan code..would low fluid pull one of these codes? Also..where is the inverter cooling fan located? Obviously near the inverter...more to point..is this in a HIGH voltage spot or is this something that could be messed with fairly safely without getting the ion Curtain, technician removal device, rubber hazmat suit, and latex prophylatic covering my hair..

I know the whole pay now or pay more later thing..its just been a rather big comedy of errors..I went over my 100k miles when I was going to break down and pay to have it diagnosed by a Toyota shop..but then Hurricane Gustav shows up...thank you very much..
so then the weather got cool..it went away...yada yada...just spent 3 grand trying to fix the dog unsuccessfully after he had an accident..so the money situation isnt getting better..I know...got the violin ready?
Car has been mostly sitting up for a while and I was driving my truck when gas went back down..but..well..gas aint down anymore..
When are you going to publish a repair manual for the masses?

mustang67408
06-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok...so the bleeder plug is the little rubber cap on top of the straight tube with hose attached to it in front of the synergy drive under the plastic cover plate? YES
Also when they reference turning the power on...is that the power for the car? or is that for a special tool?FOR THE CAR, this "ON" turns the inverter coolant pump on... these are known for going bad and cause codes, there is a TSB for them on certain years.

Durrr..and I thought that resevoir was for the engine coolant..but now..where the hell does the engine coolant go? There is a radiator cap on the top of the radiator and it has its own overflow bottle.
Also..what's that bottle that is stuck in the front bumper? I had gotten the impression that was the inverter coolant reservoir...which is part of where I thought I might have a leak...AHH the joys of message boards...haha

I know I am having some inverter cooling issues...
My inverter fluid level shows right above low
car does all kinds of wonky things once the car has been driven for a while and go away once has sat and cooled and comes back once its been driven a bit and heated up....also this becomes less pronouced when the temperature outside is rather cool..in fact they went away when the weather got rather cool..except for very extreme driving..then they showed back up but only when engaged in a lot of fast stop and go(which I suspect engaged the inverter more)..
I recall having gone to a friends shop and he pulled some codes for me..I think I had a inverter cooling fan code..would low fluid pull one of these codes? Also..where is the inverter cooling fan located? Obviously near the inverter...more to point..is this in a HIGH voltage spot or is this something that could be messed with fairly safely without getting the ion Curtain, technician removal device, rubber hazmat suit, and latex prophylatic covering my hair..NO INVERTER COOLING FAN.. only a pump and they ALL eventual;ly go bad, it is a 12v pump right next to the inverter by the left (drivers) fender, down next to the inverter.

I know the whole pay now or pay more later thing..its just been a rather big comedy of errors..I went over my 100k miles when I was going to break down and pay to have it diagnosed by a Toyota shop..but then Hurricane Gustav shows up...thank you very much..
so then the weather got cool..it went away...yada yada...just spent 3 grand trying to fix the dog unsuccessfully after he had an accident..so the money situation isnt getting better..I know...got the violin ready?
Car has been mostly sitting up for a while and I was driving my truck when gas went back down..but..well..gas aint down anymore..
When are you going to publish a repair manual for the masses?
Hope this helps