Will replacing the Instrument Cluster reset Mileage [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Will replacing the Instrument Cluster reset Mileage

TRD911
04-19-2006, 02:08 PM
If I replace my instrument cluster will the mileage get reset? I see there are several clusters on ebay for say with very low mileage. Is this as simple as that? Comments please.
B

Jer
04-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Most vehicles these days store the odo reading in the ECU. Chances are you'll have the same miles w/a differetn odo.

TRD911
04-20-2006, 05:16 AM
So if you change the cluster and the ECM then the mileage will change to match which? There is an ECM on Ebay along with a cluster from a different sellers. Just curious. I don't think I will go through the trouble but, I think this makes for an intriguing discussion.
B

Jer
04-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Are you trying to lower your miles?? :confused:

TRD911
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes I am. :td:

kwilson
04-20-2006, 11:56 AM
If I'm not mistaken, isn't altering the mileage on the vehicle illegal?

longwoodklon
04-20-2006, 12:05 PM

It's only illegal if you get caught.;) joking, joking.
But I can tell you on older Hondas, you could simply unplug a fuse to disconnect the speedometer/odometer. It's one reason I'm always leary of used cars.

Jer
04-20-2006, 12:06 PM

Yup and not to mention immoral. I will be no part of this conversation and think what you're doing is wrong.

TRD911
04-20-2006, 12:07 PM
In order for it to be illegal you have to do it. I am just talking about it. What happens if someone buys an ECU and an instrument cluster and installs that in a vehicle then sells said vehicle. If that lower the miles displayed. How would you know it has lower miles than actual? This is just a hpyothetical discussion. Please do not call the police on me.
B

Kev
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
My experience with a 2000 Honda is that the mileage is stored on a chip in the cluster (not he ECM). The Tundra may very well differ but if I were you I would check. I would suggest calling your local dealer and asking about the part and if the mileage would need to be set.

Jer
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
In order for it to be illegal you have to do it. I am just talking about it. What happens if someone buys an ECU and an instrument cluster and installs that in a vehicle then sells said vehicle. If that lower the miles displayed. How would you know it has lower miles than actual? This is just a hpyothetical discussion. Please do not call the police on me.
B

I'm not calling the police on you but I originally thought you were trying to keep the same mileage and was asking how to go about the whole process.

If you needed to change both then you would have your ECU flashed w/the correct mileage if it was different or your title would read that the miles isn't accurate and your value would plummet.

TRD911
04-20-2006, 12:25 PM
This is just a discussion. I am sorry if I am missleading anyone about what my objective was or is. I have a truck with 95K on it and I do not intend on cheating anyone. I am more concerned about how it is done and what to look for as I am looking for another vehicle. ... would like a higher mileage vehicle.
B

Jer
04-20-2006, 12:32 PM
My experience with a 2000 Honda is that the mileage is stored on a chip in the cluster (not he ECM). The Tundra may very well differ but if I were you I would check. I would suggest calling your local dealer and asking about the part and if the mileage would need to be set.

All vehicles are different. Some store in the ECU and some store in the gauge cluster themselves. Not sure on the Tundra but my Supra is stored in the actual odometer.

Jer
04-20-2006, 12:33 PM
This is just a discussion. I am sorry if I am missleading anyone about what my objective was or is. I have a truck with 95K on it and I do not intend on cheating anyone. I am more concerned about how it is done and what to look for as I am looking for another vehicle. ... would like a higher mileage vehicle.
B

Uh huh... suuuure that's what you're doing. :td:

Justme
04-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Knowing how it is done will not give you any advantage when looking for another vehicle. Even if it is possible (no one here and confirmed this yet), how you going to know if something was replaced?

It is illegal to alter your mileage. If any records can show your vehicle with higher mileage (ie, state inspections, registration, etc) you would be subject to a whole lot of trouble.

I agree with Jeremy, this type discussion serves no one...

B

J-man
04-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Most vehicles these days store the odo reading in the ECU. Chances are you'll have the same miles w/a differetn odo.
tacomas and tundras do not store any mileage in the ecu. It is not programmed for that feature. The only mileage counter in the vehicle is the odometer.

jasbus
04-20-2006, 01:29 PM
tacomas and tundras do not store any mileage in the ecu. It is not programmed for that feature. The only mileage counter in the vehicle is the odometer.
He says frankly and matter of factly:clown:

Jer
04-20-2006, 02:01 PM

Kind of what I was thinking after I posted that as Toyota seems to do that and I thought of my Supra and added that in a later post.

WindowPro
08-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Kind of what I was thinking after I posted that as Toyota seems to do that and I thought of my Supra and added that in a later post.

I realize I'm digging up an old thread here but I have a legitimate reason to know the answer to the original OP's question.

I'm about to transplant a 2004 Tacoma Instrument Cluster into a '98 Tacoma. (Both digital odometers)

The question I can't seem to find the answer to is - How do I adjust the lower miles on the '04 unit (30k) to my current mileage ( 114K) since they are electronic units?

I was under the impression I could plug the new cluster in and the ECU would adjust it for me. From what I've read in this thread that will not occur.:eek:

So, how do I go about doing this without going to a speedometer shop (didn't know they existed) or dealer?

Thanks for the help!

KNABORES
08-08-2006, 05:18 AM
unsure???... probably not helpful and less interesting, i swapped gauge clusters with a friend, both had 01 chevy's and the mileage followed the cluster not the ecu. so we swapped mileage. I was selling my truck and had less miles than he so we swapped back. (he wanted my white gauges)

WindowPro
08-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks!

Anyone else?

Phil0411
08-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Sure, I'll add to this. It is illegal in every state and has been for a long long time. If you were to do this and trade in or sell your vehicle and sign that the odometer reading is right, that could be a big problem. Aside from the fact you thought you just got away with something, I'll add this. Mileage is not just kept in the speedo and/or the ECU. It is stored in a few locations just for this exact reason. Any dealer that has the franchise of the type of vehicle needing to be checked can find the real mileage. The government made sure of this years ago.

Changing your cluster and/or ECU is just like shoplifting when you think nobody's looking, but you missed the camera that was pointed right at you! :eek:

Phil :tu:

lockportmarc
08-09-2006, 08:26 AM
So, if I were to go buy a car that "showed" low milage but the body and other signs pointed to higher milage, I could just take it to a dealer and ask them what the real milage was?

SDTundra760
08-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Justme said my point perfectly ... there is obviously going to be some record of the mileage whether that is from the DMV (i.e smog checks) or when you serviced your truck last ... or from CarFax .. something like that ... so you could probably only drop the mileage to the last time you smogged it or had something done to it ... to pay the money to get a new cluster and new ECU for a few thousand miles would difference would be stupid ..

WindowPro
08-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Sure, I'll add to this. It is illegal in every state and has been for a long long time. If you were to do this and trade in or sell your vehicle and sign that the odometer reading is right, that could be a big problem. Aside from the fact you thought you just got away with something, I'll add this. Mileage is not just kept in the speedo and/or the ECU. It is stored in a few locations just for this exact reason. Any dealer that has the franchise of the type of vehicle needing to be checked can find the real mileage. The government made sure of this years ago.

Changing your cluster and/or ECU is just like shoplifting when you think nobody's looking, but you missed the camera that was pointed right at you! :eek:

Phil

After I reread my original post I need to clarify my intentions a little better.

When I posted this question I was trying to avoid paying the $300 typical speedometer shops charge - NOT - do something illegal. This was in no way my intention. Actually, I was trying to find a layman's way to adjust the odometer if one existed, which I realize now (after hours of research) still could be construed as illegal.

From the outset, I wanted to make sure whatever work I performed on the swap would be legal. However, now that I look back at my post, it eludes that I'm trying to do something "shady" when my intention was to avoid doing that from the start. Doh!

In my situation, I'm adjusting the mileage upwards and not down. The new cluster I am installing has 30k and my current cluster has 114K. I'm trying to adjust it higher. Yes, technically I guess that is still illegal and why I'm going to a reputable speedometer / instrument shop to have the work done. And, I highly recommend you use a shop if you are planning to resell, trade that vehicle in the future. In my case, I plan to keep the vehicle until it dies.

For futher clarification to your post...
Yes, if you were to trade a vehicle and not disclose that you altered the cluster or swapped a new one, then I believe you are correct... that is very illegal.

However, if a reputable speedometer / instrument shop does the work and supplies a statement disclosing the work they performed (DMV purposes, etc.) then that is perfectly legal. If it were not, then the hundreds of shops in existence would be breaking the law and out of business. Here is one reputable shop in paticular Speedometer Repair, Repair Speedometers &* Instrument Cluster Repair - Advanced Auto Electronics, Inc. (http://www.aaellc.com/index.html) that serves consumers and auto dealers nationwide.

I agree with you that if you do this swap / alteration without explanation / proof / documentation then you are indeed trying to cover something up and/or profit at anothers expense... which is illegal.

Boy, I didn't realize until after rereading my post how vague and general I sounded (read shady :D ). Just wanted to clarify my intentions here and shed some light for others contemplating doing a swap / alteration.

Phil0411
08-10-2006, 06:01 AM
So, if I were to go buy a car that "showed" low milage but the body and other signs pointed to higher milage, I could just take it to a dealer and ask them what the real milage was?

It really depends on the vehicle. Not all have secondary systems but 99% of new cars do. If it is ten years old, probably not.

lunadog
09-24-2006, 12:29 AM
There seems to be some confusion regarding the Federal Odometer Disclosure laws. If one replaces an odometer with a lower mileage odometer, this act alone is not necessarily sufficient to characterize this as a violation of law.

Odometers malfunction everyday, and are replaced everyday.

To act within compliance of the Federal Odometer Disclosure law, one can replace their odometer with a lower mileage reading, but must follow three simple steps to stay on the lawful side of the law:

one, create a label indicating the date the odometer was replaced and the mileage reading at the time on the old odometer and the new odometer, and affix the label on the driver's door frame.

two, mark the Certificate of Title as "NAM - Not Actual Mileage". Some states call it "TMU - True Mileage Unknown." The point is, amend the title to reflect the change in mileage reading.

three, disclose the odometer replacement procedure to the buyer of the vehicle, preferrably both verbally and in writing.

If you follow these three steps, there is nothing illegal about replacing an odometer with a lower mileage odometer.

low c1500
09-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Yes the Tundra keeps the milage in the ECM as well as the Dash. They are independant of each other, the newer Tundras have the ABS speed output going to the Dash, and a VSS on the tranny goes to the ECM. JUst about every OBDII vehicle has the milage in the Computer as also. Now wether or not a Toyota Tech could scan and be able to find this is another question (they are usually only good at changing oil).

Some vehicles (some Dodge Trucks) keep the only record of miles in the ECM, then serial link to display this in the Dash.

diablito1975
10-02-2006, 01:13 AM
the mileage on the tundra at least my 05 tundra is stored in the odometer, as i put a brand new computer on my truck and the mileage still the same. as far as altering the mileage being illegal, it is, but its up the the person buying the car to research the history of that vehicle. for gods sake people fork out $20 bucks and buy a carfax report they even offer warranty in case of fraud. just my 2 cents

greybeards22
03-17-2007, 07:57 AM
I have a 2000 TUNDRA. If the odometer is swapped ,what will the odometer read? old or new?? There are still differences of opinion on this. ONLY reason I am asking is if a different cluster set is installed for whatever reason what will be displayed..I earlier replaced my cluster set due to a bad install of a new white faced gauge setup and I think this new odometer read my original mileage.But they were close anyway in mileage and I did not remember!!!!. I still have the original to put back in if needed.

tundo
03-17-2007, 12:31 PM
There seems to be some confusion regarding the Federal Odometer Disclosure laws. If one replaces an odometer with a lower mileage odometer, this act alone is not necessarily sufficient to characterize this as a violation of law.

Odometers malfunction everyday, and are replaced everyday.

To act within compliance of the Federal Odometer Disclosure law, one can replace their odometer with a lower mileage reading, but must follow three simple steps to stay on the lawful side of the law:

one, create a label indicating the date the odometer was replaced and the mileage reading at the time on the old odometer and the new odometer, and affix the label on the driver's door frame.

two, mark the Certificate of Title as "NAM - Not Actual Mileage". Some states call it "TMU - True Mileage Unknown." The point is, amend the title to reflect the change in mileage reading.

three, disclose the odometer replacement procedure to the buyer of the vehicle, preferrably both verbally and in writing.

If you follow these three steps, there is nothing illegal about replacing an odometer with a lower mileage odometer.

Yeah but good luck selling it to someone down the road having to explain all that

Ryan

greybeards22
03-17-2007, 01:06 PM
told by a toyota tech;; when installing a new or different odometer in the cluster.. the mileage displayed will be what is in the newly installed meter not what was in the original!!!