VSC Trac, VSC Off, Brake, ABS lights... all on, all at once. [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: VSC Trac, VSC Off, Brake, ABS lights... all on, all at once.

rivan
05-09-2006, 08:09 AM
So I'm driving along, and notice both VSC lights, the emergency brake light, and the ABS light all are on. Next time I restart the car, all's normal for a few minutes, then they come on again. Same thing this morning... drive along normally for a few minutes, then the lights all come on.

I just spoke to Toy Financial Services about possible warranty coverage (certified) and the guy on the phone thinks it's the ECU, and not covered.

What do you guys think it is? If it's something that's not covered, I'd rather fix it myself, if possible.

hill8570
05-09-2006, 09:14 AM
A 2002, eh? If I had to guess, I'd guess the brake booster before the ECU (simply because the brake booster is a known weak spot on the first few years of the Sequoia, while a failed ECU is pretty rare).

Do you have the capability to read the codes? Takes some of the guesswork out of the process (although, if it's a brake booster, I think you have to do some funky jumpering to pull the code). Check out some of the related threads to this one -- some good info there.

celica
05-09-2006, 09:42 AM
try checking your brake fluid level. The sensor is very touchy. Mine was reading full but the dealer filled it up above the level & I have never had a problem since.

m0000
05-10-2006, 11:00 AM
So I'm driving along, and notice both VSC lights, the emergency brake light, and the ABS light all are on. Next time I restart the car, all's normal for a few minutes, then they come on again. Same thing this morning... drive along normally for a few minutes, then the lights all come on.

I just spoke to Toy Financial Services about possible warranty coverage (certified) and the guy on the phone thinks it's the ECU, and not covered.

What do you guys think it is? If it's something that's not covered, I'd rather fix it myself, if possible.

Classic response to "low" brake fluid level.

rivan
05-11-2006, 01:23 PM
I topped off the reservoir to just above the max line (it was barely below max when I checked) and the lights are still going on.

Anyone else like the booster theory, or have any other thoughts?

m0000
05-18-2006, 08:35 PM
I've had 3 things happen to my Sequoia that made all the lights come on. Low brake fluid was just one of them. I think bad oxygen sensors too? I can make mine come on temporarily by just slamming on my brakes on a gravel road. Come back on when the power is cycled. It's a weak point in the diagnostics system to be sure.

I think lights come on if you haven't tightened your gas cap enough also...

mmikulak
05-27-2006, 02:18 PM
A 2002, eh? If I had to guess, I'd guess the brake booster before the ECU (simply because the brake booster is a known weak spot on the first few years of the Sequoia, while a failed ECU is pretty rare).

Do you have the capability to read the codes? Takes some of the guesswork out of the process (although, if it's a brake booster, I think you have to do some funky jumpering to pull the code). Check out some of the related threads to this one -- some good info there.

I too have had some very intermittent VSC issues on my 02 2wd and the codes that the dealer read were pertaining to the Sensor in the booster and another code for the VSC/Trac Computer. I watched him with the scantool and the brake sensor was acting fine at the time.

I have the money to take it to the dealer but I am a frugal person with a lot of mechanical ability. If you were me would you replace the booster? Or would you take it to the dealer?

MUX_Phoenix

m0000
05-27-2006, 08:26 PM
I have the money to take it to the dealer but I am a frugal person with a lot of mechanical ability. If you were me would you replace the booster? Or would you take it to the dealer?

MUX_Phoenix

If I knew it was the booster, that's half the battle. Yes I'd do that myself.

Detailed shop manuals available in PDF format - if you search on TS you'll see mention of it.

KrakerJack
06-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Another 2002 Limited with SAME PROBLEM:mad:

Greetings & thank you. New to site & looking for answers. Recently had exact problem on my 2002 Sequoia Limited.

Local dealer pulled codes C1223 & C1241 ? Then suggested I replace VSC computer for only $2100:mad: :td:

I bailed out and found TundraSolutions.

Any info and direction would be appreciated before I regret using this dealership for any further work.

:ts: - KrakerJack

MDS_03_Sequoia
08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I had the same problem on my 03 Sequoia. Luckily I had just under 36000 miles. Dealer had to replace the VSC computer. Would have cost like 2k.

rinkman
10-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I think that you may all be interested in this post from another site.... I had the same problem with my 2003... had them replace this sensor and never had another problem... I have been posting this on several sites now since I finally found something that works...

Tell the Dealer to pull their head.
If you jump the DCL connector under the dash--> PINS (TC & CG)
The ABS (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/##) light will flash a deep rooted code, My guess (i have a crystal ball) is it is a 63.
This indicates and malfunctioning pressure sensor in the Brake Booster assy.
If they find NO CODE, my other sugestion would be the SKID CONTROL ECU.
It is bolted to the ABS Actuator under the hood. There is a TSB on 03 SEQ's for a problem with them, every now and then a 01 has the same problem.(but unlikely)
My best guess would be the BRAKE BOOSTER 90% sure of this.

MouthfulOfGrass
10-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Good info, thanks for the updating.

el_madmaster
10-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I will say however - when the traction and skid control did not work for me in this time period, it always brought a grin to my face to prove to people that you can do donuts in a full size SUV on loose terrain :). I would seriously advise against trying this though hah.

dimapb
10-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi guys,
Looking for help here. I just had codes pulled for the VSC issues in my wifes truck (2003 SR5 with 70K miles) and everything points to a Skid Control Computer. I was quoted $1600 for part and labor.
Here are the codes...
B0101 - Open in D SQUIB Circuit.
C1203 - Engine Control Comm. Circuit Malfunction.
C1231 - Malfunction in Steering Angle Sensor.

Please let me know if any of you have any suggestions.
Thank you
Dmitry

dimapb
10-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi guys,
Looking for help here. I just had codes pulled for the VSC issues in my wifes truck (2003 SR5 with 70K miles) and everything points to a Skid Control Computer. I was quoted $1600 for part and labor.
Here are the codes...
B0101 - Open in D SQUIB Circuit.
C1203 - Engine Control Comm. Circuit Malfunction.
C1231 - Malfunction in Steering Angle Sensor.

Please let me know if any of you have any suggestions.
Thank you
Dmitry

Bump...
I can't believe no one has any suggestions. Do you all agree with my assesmnent that it need a new ECU?

tinkerboy
04-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Hi gents,
Thanks for all of your great information. I also have an 02 4wd limited sequoia with 80K. about a month ago the check engine light came on. It seemed obvious it was an 02 sensor since this had been a problem on my tundra. same year. dealer wouldn't help. so I bought my own autoxray scanner to read the codes. Sure enough it came back an 02 sensor. got the right part and tool and within 1/2 hour it was done and the check engine light was gone. Now 3 weeks later the VSC lights go on and stay on. I put the autoxtray back in and no codes come up. hmmm. love working on stuff myself, but not sure how to proceed. any recommendations? Anything but taking it to the dealer.
Appreciate your input.

msawicki
07-30-2008, 05:56 AM
Hi, thought this might be helpful to some of you. I just had a situation where the VSC lights and the check engine light came on while driving down the road in my 2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD. I just had the front skid control ECU replaced in October and now they're telling me it's the Oxygen sensor that is causing this. All of these computerized parts seem to do nothing but get jumbled. Hope this can help some of you out there.:)

Flyboy2000
08-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Do a search and you will find this is a common problem

The VSC Anti - Skid and ECU is roughly a $1800 repair!!!
Yes, it is faulty, and a COMMON replacement item.
There is obviously a Quality Control issue with these that Toyota does NOT want to be on the hook for. I myself along with many others went to the National Highway Safety Program and filed a complaint. If they get enough of these they will go to the manufacturer and issue a recall. This may be the only way to get Toyota to own up to these shoddy computers that should not fail, especially so early!!

Do a search! and you will believe.

millerph
08-12-2008, 07:53 PM
How do we add our name to the complaint?

I have a 2003 Limited. VSC & Trac Lights started coming on around 30 k. Dealer said they found no problem. I told them I wanted it documented in case it became an issue. The lights continued to come on occasionally, usually when cold, but never a problem. They usually went off when engine shut off. Since I got on this site today I find this to be typical, but until today was unaware anyone else had problems. What I haven't seen here is what happened at 90 K. It was cold, the lights stayed on 3-4 days. We were pulling into traffic & lost drive power. After taking foot off the gas and then putting back on the power came back. I took it to the dealer & they said it needed 2 computers-$2700. I told them the problem was documented and asked them to contact Toyota. I never heard back, but the problem went away. I assumed it was simply a bad connection and it slipped my mind until the other day when it happened again backing out of the garage. When it lost power it felt similar to the feel of anti-lock brakes. Has anyone had a similar experience?

trd sequoia
08-13-2008, 05:55 PM
1203 1231There is a problem with the skid ECU usually the 1203 and 1231 codes are the clincher a fault in the ECU wont let the steering angle sensor calibrate some times there is a tsb for this calibrating procedure but when the ECU is bad they wont clear be sure on the codes most generic scaners cant pull abs codes so spend a little diag $$ at the dealer before you wast money guessing

dboz
08-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I just had this happen. Was the O2 sensor. $270.00!! No ABS light was on though.

jnord
08-22-2008, 08:40 PM
rivan,

Just had my '03 Sequoia Limited in for VSC Off & Trac lights as well as Check Engine. PCM memory code P0031 for the B1S1 oxygen sensor. If you have a reputable mechanic in your area, these usually run $300. Not sure what a dealer charges...I tend to stay away from them whenever possible.

Good luck!

JohnnyBs
11-02-2008, 07:20 AM
VSC TRAC, VSC OFF - CHECK ENGINE, and my Tire Pressure... 2005 Sequoia, SR5 38,000 miles. It started with Tire Pressure light, it came on last week while traveling in cooler weather. This seems to be quite normal.... the other 3 lights came on after we came home. Started and they didn't go off. Took it to my dealer -
The Check Engine light, "maybe" a loose gas cap - but they said it was a “small evap leak, PO456”, they recommended replacing a charcoal canister, $656.00

For the other 2 lights - it was the Skid Control ECU that needs replacement, C1247 - $2309.00. They "reset" something - all the lights are off for now.

Here's the kicker - I'm in line for my repair and a salesman,(who I met once before approaches my vehicle) - he said it's time for me to turn in my Sequoia and get that 4-Runner I wanted. My lease is up in October ‘09 - I told him where my numbers needed to be and that he could never do it based on my existing lease and current buy out costs...Ok, so I had an hour or so to kill so I went along with him. I find a 4-Runner that I really liked and said ok, go make it work.... I commented to him that this looked it would be a scam... I know he was in communication with the service manager working on my vehicle at the same time I'm trying to put together a deal on the new 4-Runner. So I say to the sales guy, “I bet the repairs on my vehicle are going to be $3000.00 and you'll tack that cost onto the savings on my new lease”. Something just smells fishy. When the numbers didn’t work, he said they would have to call me back which I thought was weird, I went back to the service bay to wait another hour for my vehicle. All the warning lights are off…and I’m on my way. I’m very skeptical of any diagnostics that are done on a vehicle when you can’t see what’s broken. The dealer’s are hurting BAD, and I feel they’ll do anything to make a sale.

devo357
11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Ok the same thing is happening to my 06' it goes in the dealer on Friday so I will post with the results.
All Lights are on vehicle is in "safe mode" will not go over 25 miles an hour happened while my wife was climbing up the hill to our house, I dont want her to drive it so I am taking it on Friday. Has any one else gone into safe mode due to a fault in the ECU?

Toyotafixer
11-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I am having the same problems on my '01 Sequoia: Brake, VSC Trac, Trac off, and ABS lights all come on and stay on. It used to happen every once in a while, but now it happens pretty much every time you put the vehicle in motion after starting it.

JohnnyBs
11-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I went to an Auto Zone (Auto Parts Store) to have "them" read me the codes... their code was emmisions related, the loose gas cap. He had me tighten it. He reset the lights... I filled up, tightened the cap, and the lights have not come on again! Monday will be a week. If there was something wrong with the computer - I'm sure the light would have come on again.

I strongly recomend that you get a second test prior to spending thousands on a "not-needed" repair.

DocPain
11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
I went to an Auto Zone (Auto Parts Store) to have "them" read me the codes... their code was emmisions related, the loose gas cap. He had me tighten it. He reset the lights... I filled up, tightened the cap, and the lights have not come on again! Monday will be a week. If there was something wrong with the computer - I'm sure the light would have come on again.

I strongly recomend that you get a second test prior to spending thousands on a "not-needed" repair.

My Check engine, VSC Trac also came on awhile ago.
Oh that is what Im having also. The Autozone scanner read "very small evap. emission leak".

I just reset the lights. First the Check engine light disappear, but not the other two. I drove for about 15 min. shut off and turn on..everything clear on the dash. I did tighten the gas cap after set the lights.

I was thinking the EGR or Canister also, but these stealers charged close to 500 bucks. :help:

dimapb
11-14-2008, 09:26 AM
A bit of good news for all of you that are having this issue....
I filed a complaint in Dec of 2006 and just this morning received an email and a call from DOT. They have asked me bunch of questions related to this problem and informed me that they are working on getting Toyota to recall all vehicle affected by the faulty skid control unit. I have already paid to get it fixed, so they said once Toyota does the recall, I will be reimbursed. He also asked me to fax him all of the documents related to the issue. He apologized for a delay I guess it's a start of good things to come.

devo357
11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Man thats Great news! I called Toyota customer care and filled a report as well.
The truck will be done today and I will post with the results its still under warranty so thats cool but it seems this is a huge problem. Where do i go to file a report with the DOT?

dimapb
11-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Here you go...
IVOQ - File a Complaint (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/)

devo357
11-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Ok My wife just called they are replacing the "Air injection control assembly" They listed all the codes that poped up as well but my wife was getting kind of annoyed so I will post that later. I am guessing that this part has some thing to do with emissions ( i hope some one will chime in and confim this). So I geuss this is the reason it lit up all the indicators on the dash and put the truck in "limp mode" I cant understand why something that is emissions related would put the truck into "limp mode" but my wife says its fine now.

DocPain
11-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I guess it a little different on the Sequoia vs LC. My LC got 250K on it, not once the emission related craps pops up. What is up with the Sequoia? that is why it was not made in Japan.

Jeff M
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Just fired off a complaint. My VSC TRAC and VCC OFF lights came on last week and will not go away.

devo357
11-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Ok here is an update on whats going on.
Last Friday took the Sequoia in to get the air injection vales replaced, they cleared all the codes and everything was fine until Saturday! EVERYTHING came back on again! drove straight back to the dealer they pulled the codes and the exact same ones came up. Truck is still in limp mode so I brought it back this morning and they gave me a rental. I called Toyota customer care again and filed a report but this whole thing is getting really frustrating, I mean the Sequoia only has 22k on it and its been out of commission for almost 2 weeks now. If it was just the lights coming on I could deal with it but everytime it happens it goes into limp mode and is not drivable. I really hope this gets fixed.:cry:

devo357
11-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Got the Sequoia back, they had to replace the "air pump" been driving for 2 days now lights have not come back on. All the problems were smog equipment related so far no problems with the ECU. It seems there are more than a few reasons for the lights coming on and I hope this helps anyone else who has the same problems. My wife was without her Sequoia for almost 3 weeks while the dealer was sorting this problem out, granted they did give us a rental car for 11 days but still 3 weeks? that just seems a little excessive.:washing:

dmichovic
12-31-2008, 05:35 AM
If you have the TRAC, VSC OFF, and ABS lights all on at the same time, a previous suggestion of checking the Brake Fluid is absolutely the right thing to do. Had a similar situation a few weeks back.

If all three happen at once, the ECU will take the vehicle into a "safe" mode and limit output power, acceleration, .... until this is resolved. Called the dealer about this and they said "bring it in" - but after reading several posts, it appeared that the Brake Fluid Sensor might be the culprit.

Check the brake fluid level on a horizontal surface, note the height. If the level is at the FULL line or slightly below, simply add enough to go 1-2mm above the line. Close the cap, removed the NEG lead of the battery, count to 10, reconnect the NEG battery lead, and start it up. Worked exactly as someone suggested and probably saved $$hundreds if not more.

JBH1989
01-03-2009, 09:01 PM
If the fluid is low, the answer is NOT to add more, the answer is to check the pads. There is a reason fluid drops: as the pads wear they have to travel more to contact the rotor. The lip seals in the caliper allow the pistons to "self-adjust". As the pads wear, more fluid sits behind the piston and that fluid comes from the reservoir. Low fluid is a quick-and-dirty method of determining how much pad life you have left--if the fluid is on low, most likely your pads have very little life left and you'll soon start eating the rotor. Only add fluid IF all four sets of pads have plenty of life and there is no leak. Otherwise you're treating the symptom not the cause of the problem.

JBH1989
01-03-2009, 09:43 PM

No wonder...

kendallg
08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I had this same problem on my 2004 Highlander....all four warning lights came on out of the blue....mechanic replaced the brake pedal switch, took care of it....$200 incl. labor.

sloya
04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
I have a 2004 4x4 Sequoia where the light came on once or trice a year ago then went away. This month almost a year later they came back on all three of VSC, Track, and Parking Brake on solid even after restarting the vehicle. Took it to the dealer and they said it would cost $2000 to replace the ECU and Brake Booster since these where the codes coming up. After doing some research online I came upon a post stating he corrected the problem by checking the wheel sensors. He found metal shaving on the rear sensors and cleaned them and all was back to normal.

I spent the time pulling my sensors on each wheel, they are held on by a 10mm bolt and are sealed with an o-ring. The sensors on the front are single pin type pickup and are magnetic, they were clean. The two rear sensors are magnetic as well except they have a dual flat bar pickup. The driver side was clean but the passenger side was full of what appeared to be rusted metal shavings. This was either residue left inside the axle tube or from corrosion inside the tube. Either way it was on the sensor and I cleaned it off. After re-installing all the sensors I test drove the vehicle. All three lights stayed on at first then started going off at the same time. The more I drove the more they went off and on between drives. This went on for the next couple of days until I had VSC skid indication come on twice making a slow right hand turn into a driveway. After this they all stayed off and have not returned. I just completed a 1500 mile trip to Tahoe and everything was normal during the trip.

My knowledge of self diagnostic software is that a malfunction do not trigger an error but are monitored until a threshold is reached to trigger an error indication. As the malfunction is corrected the threshold will adjust eliminating the error indication. I have worked with many computer systems with this type of diagnostics. And it appears this is the way the system in the Sequoia's is designed. I sure hope some Engineer confirms or blows my theory all to smithereens. The Bottom Line here is my truck is back to normal and it did not cost me $2000 just 20 minutes of my time. SAM

mekanick28
05-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi, I am new to here and to Toyota. I just purchased a 2001 Sequoia Limited this past Saturday. The truck has 192,000. miles on it. It was a 1 owner with what appears to have been all of its services performed at the selling dealer. When I purchased the truck the "VSC Trac, VSC Off, ABS, and the Check engine light were on. I figured no big deal the truck runs and drives great. I got it home and started checking for codes with my Matco scanner. I found as follows: 1-p0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1, 2- p0430 same definition just bank 2, ABS codes are 1- c0215 left rear wheel speed sensor malfunction, 2-c1223 malfunction in ABS control system. It also has what sounds like a bad wheel bearing growling. You can feel it in the floor and slightly in the steering wheel.

What have I done so far? Well i found this sight and researched my problems. 2nd i removed both front wheel and checked for bearing play. Only the left front has slight play. I am gonna check the torque on the axle nut tommorow because it does look like someone has been in it before. 3rd I cleared all codes, cel and abs. The check engine light went out but the abs are hard code and return immediatley. I removed the left rear wheel sensor and found rusty brown cacked on stuff. I cleaned the sensor and the tone ring in the hole with brake cleaner and blew out with compressed air. Code is still a hard code. I checked all fuses all good. I then took the suv and filled up with gas and stp fuel treatment hopeing that the check engine light would stay off.

I drove the truck around town putting about 50 miles on it and the check engine light came back for the same codes. I have checked brake pads [almost new], fluid level [over max line], gas cap, wiring for abs sensor [ no damage, sensor still very magnetic].

I bought this truck at an auction because its what my wife has always wanted considering the size of our family. I bought it under book value with the mileage and needing repairs. But after reading all this about the VSC stuff i'm wandering if I made a bad purchase.

I wasn't trying to highjack anybody's thread but figured maybe with all the responses here I could get some better knowledge on the trouble shooting.

Thanks for any help. Allen [lost]

Youngin
05-09-2011, 11:30 PM
I have an 03 sequoia with the same problem vsc/trac light both on and brake light and engine light. i got a letter from toyota that the trac/vsc was re-called so i need to take it up to the dealership but have been lazy. when the trac/vsc lights first came on when starting the truck and driving st low speed there was a terrible grimmding for s few second- then the grinding noise would stop and the vsc/trc light would come on. now days the grinding has stopped but the vsc/trac light still comes on.

mcmatt
08-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Rinkman, I have spent a lot of time with my VSC issues. I have been getting two codes. One was 34 which has gone away since I replaced the yawrate sensor. I still have an intermittent 63 for the brake booster. It doesn't cause the ABS to actuate and it goes away when the car is restarted. What do you do to fix the 63? Do you have to replace the whole brake booster? Thanks

mcmatt
08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Mekanick28, you will have to get the VSC specific codes. You are getting an error from a VSC or ABS sensor. The grinding noise is the ABS kicking in on one wheel. My guess is the front right and the code that you get from shorting TC and CG on the OBDII will be a 34 that is flasing on the VSC bulb. This is a yawrate sensor error. Could be the sensor (easy expensive change) or it could be the ECU. You might have other sensor codes as well the ABS codes are shown with a flashing ABS bulb. You should search for codes and procedures or get the service manual. Good Luck

cartman308
01-15-2012, 12:46 AM
What about just a VCS TRAC, VCS OFF, and check engine? No vcss doesnt bother me. The light lights do.......

Agpollard
05-02-2013, 04:53 PM
After doing some research online I came upon a post stating he corrected the problem by checking the wheel sensors. He found metal shaving on the rear sensors and cleaned them and all was back to normal.SAM

I'm having the exact same problem and was just quoted almost $2,800 for a new ECU+labor. Where can I locate the wheel sensors to see if your solution will work for me also? Are they the same as speed sensors?

mcmatt
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM
There are several distinct causes for the VSC and TRAC lights to be on. The dealer seems to always go straight for the ECU or at least that is how it is written up. What are your exact symptoms? Have they been the same since the start of the problem? Have you followed the directions to read the code from the VSC system? Keep in mind this is NOT and OBDII code reader like Autozone does for you. This is jumpering pins in the OBDII connector and reading the VSC or BRAKE light blink codes.

chunkinator
05-08-2013, 03:29 PM
My VSC lights have been on forever. No ABS lights. but the truck drives like normal. Code comes up as Camshaft position sensor, but when the mechanic reads it with a scope, it all operates within normal range. Should I try the wheel bearing sensors? Or does that seem to be tied to the ABS lights too.

Although my parking brake light sometimes doesn't turn off, even when the pedal is released. A simple restart of the ignition usually makes it go away. Any suggestions? thanks

mcmatt
05-08-2013, 06:16 PM
From my experience the codes usually point to the correct item. Did you get that code by shorting pins in the OBDII connector and reading the flashing VSC light code? If so I would have the mechanic check out the wiring from the camshaft sensor to the ecu. He should have access to the pinouts. There may be a broken wire. It is up to you, but if it was me and the wiring was OK, I would change the camshaft sensor anyway was part of troubleshooting. Also search your specific VSC code, there should be significant information on things people have done to correct that issue.

I replaced rear axle seals unneccessarily on my 01 but I wasn't too upset because it was over 250k miles. My code pointed to yaw sensor. When I replaced the yaw sensor, my problems were gone!

Good Luck