Another VSC, ABS light victim - '02 Sequoia [Archive] - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

: Another VSC, ABS light victim - '02 Sequoia

KrakerJack
06-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Greetings,
New to site & looking for HELP.

Recently had VSC trac, VSC off, Brake and ABS lights all come on & stay on. Lights turned off when stopped and restarted engine only to quickly return. Took SUV to dealer who pulled codes C1223 & C1241?

Dealer changed battery and off I went. You guessed it - lights back on before I even made it home:mad: "Second look" & dealer now suggests new VSC computer for ONLY $2100.:mad: :mad: I bailed & told'em I had to research this whole deal before I had any more work done at their facility.
NEXT MOVE? Please advise.

:ts: -KrakerJack

nhparrot
06-02-2006, 02:33 AM
C1223 / 43 ABS control system is abnormal.

KrakerJack
06-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Glenn,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a look this morning.

KrakerJack:D

KrakerJack
06-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Glenn,

Had codes pulled this morning @ point of purchase dealer.

Again, C1223 & C1241. Additionally, C1231 - Steering angle sensor?

Now the kicker - dealer wants to charge me $90.00/hour to "check the electrical system" and won't give me an estimate of time or flat fee to do so. What do you think?

Second question, had ball joint campaign and 4 wheel brake job done earlier this year. Could they have messed it up then?

:ts: -KrakerJack

nhparrot
06-02-2006, 01:37 PM
C1231 - Data is not transmitted to the steering angle sensor for a
fixed time.

I would have someone knowledgeable with Toyota Diagnostics follow the steps to check and isolate the root cause triggering the problems. On my dime though I would time box them so they don't run up huge $$ with no results.

mcomber
06-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I had the exact same problem recently occur with my '03 Sequoia. I have about 40k miles so it's outta warranty. I have a friend who has an '01 and had same problem. He took it into the dealer and the dealer could not accurately diagnosis the problem nor could the dealer figure out how to turn the 3 lights off. He has been driving w/the lights on for over a year and no issues.

It appears from searching the web this is a common problem in toyota vehicles.

I too am still searching for a solution, albeit a reasonable one and not a new VSC chip for $2100 as having these lights on only appears to be an annoyance problem w/no mechanical impact.

Matt

Jettix2
06-20-2006, 07:10 PM
The easy trick that some people try is to top off the brake fluid....sometimes low fluid level will trigger the lights.

Lots of times on these trucks, it's a faulty brake booster switch. Brake booster switch in these early year Sequoias is prone to be faulty.......the only way to replace the switch is to replace the whole brake booster, then the VSC system needs to be recalibrated.....total cost is $1500+ The VSC computer also can fail, and it's not cheap, either.

When the lights are lit, I believe that the VSC/TRAC system (maybe ABS too, I'm not sure) is disabled......if you live in So Cal, maybe its not a big deal. In a snowy January in Michigan, you'll notice it;) Be careful.

I cant remember the codes exactly, you can jump the pins a certain way in the plug under the dash and count the flashes...........do a search for VSC TRAC lights and you'll find lots of threads with the info.....sounds like the '03 was diagnosed with the VSC computer, and the guy with the 01 might very well have a faulty booster sensor.

Ben

dmalas
06-21-2006, 08:30 AM
I had a similar problem, and they ended up replacing the VSC computer...that fixed everything...

Check out this thread: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sequoia/56722-vsc-and-brake-lights-on/?highlight=VSC

or do an advanced search for vsc - dmalas.

Luckily I purchased an extended warranty, and they covered it with the deductible of course. :eek:

I haven't had any problems with it again...yet...(hurry where's some wood). :)

Good luck...

--Daryl

bejaar
06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
I have a 2002 Sequoia 4x4 with 45,500 miles on it and yesterday the VSC trac/ VSC off, ABS, Brake lighs come on. I had all the updates done to this vehicle through my local Toyota dealer and no problems with the vehicle until now. I regret not buying the extended warranty but I figured it's a Toyota and not a Ford. It appears that this is a common problem for Sequoia model years 2003 and under. I wonder if the larger brake caliper install done on my Sequoia somehow caused problems with computer/sensors. Does anyone know if they upgraded the sensors when they upgraded the brake calipers? I think Toyota should cover this repair because it is a safety defect. I will call NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) and see what they can do for me and other Sequoia owners with the same problem.

dmalas
06-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Good question (re: Brake Calipers)...I did not have my brake calipers replaced...was that a TSB for the '02 year? One interesting thing...you got me thinking about...I think I had the recall work done prior to the failure. It makes you wonder if they are related, but so many others had the recall work done and no problems reported with the VSC computer. It might just be a random problem....Since the VSC is a safety enhancement, I wonder if it would be considered a safety risk.

Good luck...let us know how it goes...

sherwood
06-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Last week the VCS/ABS/Brake lights all came on and stayed on. Took it to a dealer and they ran the codes C1363 is what came up. Brake Booster A is the part they tell me...$1300.00 for parts and labor.

Question: Do I really need to have this done? Is there any safety risk? Could it be something else? Can I just add brake fluid, or disconnect my battery cables and reconnect them?

I just don't have $1300.00 to drop on this vehicle right now. Any help, answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Markschoen
07-06-2006, 08:10 PM
I have an '01 Sequoia w/ the same problem. It's actually happened twice. The first time was about 2 years ago (85k miles). I did some research and found suggestions to top off the brake fluid. It worked and the lights stayed off for about a year. Then just recently they came on again. I tried topping off the fluid to no avail :(

My guess is it is the brake booster switch. I'll probably look into a used unit at a local u-pull-it yard.

Mark

2002SequoiaBeckett
10-13-2006, 04:27 PM
KrakerJack,

I am in the midst of a very similar situation with my 02 Sequoia. Got any advice on this?

Thanks.

StatePO
10-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Had the steering angle sensor go out 3 months ago + $700.00. Now the ABS computer is gone, they now want $1300 more.

bejaar
10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
I finally took my 2002 Seq 4x4 in to the dealer today and it will cost me $1900 :mad: to replace the VSC computer. My options are to repair it or live with it. Luckily, I have a company car that I use daily for work so no pressing need to get it repaired anytime soon. Where's the VSC computer located and has anyone price a new versus a used one? I am seriously thinking in selling my Seq before another computer goes out. I read the ABS files that NHParrot posted and it looks like there's no VSC computer but it's integrated or part of the ECU. Please correct me if I am wrong.

By the way, my dealer said they could not pull any codes off the VSC computer and that the unit is dead. Does that sound right? It looks like that most here that have the same problem were able to have codes pulled from the VSC computer.

bikol-ini
10-18-2006, 05:59 PM
hello, bejaar am LA also pm your phone ill discuss this to you and your options, if you like,

bejaar
10-18-2006, 07:32 PM
hello, bejaar am LA also pm your phone ill discuss this to you and your options, if you like,

PM sent:ts:

dmalas
10-19-2006, 07:19 AM
I finally took my 2002 Seq 4x4 in to the dealer today and it will cost me $1900 :mad: to replace the VSC computer. My options are to repair it or live with it. Luckily, I have a company car that I use daily for work so no pressing need to get it repaired anytime soon. Where's the VSC computer located and has anyone price a new versus a used one? I am seriously thinking in selling my Seq before another computer goes out. I read the ABS files that NHParrot posted and it looks like there's no VSC computer but it's integrated or part of the ECU. Please correct me if I am wrong.

By the way, my dealer said they could not pull any codes off the VSC computer and that the unit is dead. Does that sound right? It looks like that most here that have the same problem were able to have codes pulled from the VSC computer.

Yeah, if you saw my thread earlier, you'll see I had to replace it as well. Just so you know, I haven't had any problems since that was replaced. So, although it may be $1900 total, think about how much a new car will cost...just my two cents. It's a bummer problem. With so many computers on these cars now-a-days, I won't buy one without an extended warranty. :( Good luck!!

bejaar
10-19-2006, 03:02 PM
GOOD NEWS! :-)

I argued my case with my dealer and they went to bat for me with the factory rep. The good news is that Toyota will pay for the repair. I think the information I used from this website and the fact that I establised a service record with my local dealer helped a lot. After hearing the great news, I thanked my dealer and told them to do my 45,000 mile service.

minuteman26
10-19-2006, 06:06 PM

I argued my case with my dealer and they went to bat for me with the factory rep. The good news is that Toyota will pay for the repair. I think the information I used from this website and the fact that I establised a service record with my local dealer helped a lot. After hearing the great news, I thanked my dealer and told them to do my 45,000 mile service.

How many miles on your truck? I have 80k and Toyota only paid half my repair bill...

bejaar
10-19-2006, 06:48 PM
How many miles on your truck? I have 80k and Toyota only paid half my repair bill...

About 45,500 miles

charliex2
10-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I just got the same thing, but i'm thinking mine is low fluid related, 29K miles , 2004, and it goes away after everythings warmed up and engine is restarted , seems the lower the temperature the longer it lasts.

Heres hoping, i just popped along to see what the scoop was and saw all the posts on it.

I ran an obd ii extended scan but didn't see anything, though its possible my scantool doesn't support VSC stuff.

tennengr
10-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I have 02, 2wd, I purchased in June/06, with 46k, thought I found a great buy, luckily purchased ext warranty also.

Within 1st week VSC / Trac lights began coming on upon acceleration, but only with slow acceleration, serveral trips to dealer, replaced brake booster, no difference, told us nothing wrong, I persisted, I asked if wheel sensors could cause, due to usually what goes wrong with ABS systems when I worked on autos, dealer continued to check, had vehicle for 3 weeks, finally replaced RH front wheel sensor, everything works great.

Until today my wife calls me and tells me that the brake pedal is very hard to push and truck will not stop well, she is now scared to drive it, I drove it nothing seems wrong,

ANY IDEAS?????

Thanks

Todd

lenny7
11-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Another victim here. My wife called this morning and said the a couple of the VSC lights were on and when she went to drive, it would act like the ABS was on and the vehicle skid light would come on. This is on a '03 with almost 60k miles on it.

To make a long story short, the dealer replaced the Translate ECU and the tracking (VSC?) computer. We had the 100k mile extended warranty and this repair cost us nothing. Had we had to pay, he said it would have been about $2500.

Buying that extended warranty was an impulse purchase, as I never buy them normally, but I'm glad I did with this vehicle.

I'll see if the work order indicates any more detail.

lenny7
11-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I got the work order. Trouble codes were 1203 and 1231. They replaced the translate computer assembly (89630-0C011) and the skid control computer (89541-0C062). With the rental, the total was $2132, all covered by our 100,000 mile extended warranty. Parts were $1806, labor was $173. They told me this was the wholesale cost and if I had to pay for it out of pocket, it'd be closer to $2500.

dd1001
11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
I have a 2002 sequoia with approx 85K, I have had the VSC, ABS and brake lights on for about 6 months now,

we should all probably contact a consumer advocacy group about this, maybe toyota will then realize they have a substandard system.

i will start to troubleshoot this next week, will keep everyone posted if i find anything

where is the VSC computer located?
what does it cost to buy off the shelf?
can i just swap it out myself?

how many folks have found faulty wheel speed sensors?

dd1001
11-30-2006, 01:49 PM
https://octane.trademotion.com/sfimages/213983/contentimages/discount-toyota-parts-store-header.jpg

Price 895410C062 $1,189.23 $0.00 $891.92
Brakes - Anti-lock brakes - Control module
CONTROL MODULE, Sequoia 2003 - 2004
Part Number Search Results : Collision Catalog Item NumberMSRPCore

Price895410C062 $1,189.23 $0.00 $891.92
Electrical - Abs components - Control module - All
All 2004 - 2006
Part Number Search Results : OEM Catalog Item NumberMSRPCore

Price895410C062$1,189.23 $0.00 $891.92
COMPUTER, SKID CONTR

dd1001
11-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Item NumberMSRPCore PricePrice895410c050$1,867.96$0.00$1,400.97
COMPUTER, SKID CONTR

this is supposed to be the new upgraded version....

Has anyone sent thier faulty unit to this place for a guaranteed rebuild?

:: EBCM,EBCMs,Rebuilt EBCMs,EBCM Repair,Auto Computers, EPROM EBCMs, DSM EPROMs,Remanufactured EBCMs,Electronic Brake Control Modules Direct,ABS Modules :: (http://www.ebcmdirect.com/index.asp)

costs around $590.00

dd1001
11-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Here is the latest scoop if you're a Toyota Sequoia (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#) owner of 2003 to 2005 model. If you are having some problem with your Sequoia VSC TRAC sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage, please immediately report it to Toyota Corp Customer Relation (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#). This is a common problem that many Sequoia owners have experience. But Toyota (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#) will not do a recall on this. Make sure to review your warranty. If you're still within your warranty, that is 3 yrs/36,000 miles, and you're experiencing this problem, TAKE YOUR CAR (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#) TO THE DEALER IMMEDIATELY! But before you do, file a complaint to the Customer Experience Center (About Toyota: Contact Toyota -- Contact Toyota (http://www.toyota.com/about/contact/index.html) ) and call the number posted in the page. Make sure that you get a Case# filed. If you have passed your warranty, make sure to file the complaint immediately as well. Toyota knows this is a faulty part and they would only do a recall on them if every Sequoia owner would file a complaint. You can also file this problem to the Better Business Bureau and Local State Consumer agency. If you don't do this, to fix this problem could cost you a lot of money out of your pocket. I am sharing this with everyone because I just experienced this problem with my 2003 Sequoia. And it almost cost me half of my mortgage (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#). The dealer was nice enough to recognize the problem since I filed a complaint and they only charged me with Labor cost. But still, I should have to pay anything at all. Good luck everyone and keep enjoying your Sequoia out there. It's a great SUV (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#) despite of the faulty computer part. :)

toyotasr
02-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for your message on how to file a complaint. My 05 sequoia 30,000 miles is in for repair now. I have had this happen 3-4 times and I am scared to drive it when I get it back. First the back computer went out and they replaced it. Then the vsc lights etc.. came on and once two weeks ago, I lost total control on a slippery road and slid right through a stop sign and a busy street. The lights flashed then went back off. The abs light stayed on this last time, thanks goodness, I took digital photos for proof incase it went off when it was towed to the dealer.
They have replaced the computer in the front (i'd better see what they replaced) and they are working on it now. Pulling up codes c1223 and some others. I'll get more info on monday. They have diligently worked with me and filed with toyota. I have had a rental for 10 days now.
I had better buy the extended warrenty and I'll file a compliant as well. This is a major safety issue. Thanks again for all you help.

toyotasr
02-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for your message on how to file a complaint. My 05 sequoia 30,000 miles is in for repair now. I have had this happen 3-4 times and I am scared to drive it when I get it back. First the back computer went out and they replaced it. Then the vsc lights etc.. came on and once two weeks ago, I lost total control on a slippery road and slid right through a stop sign and a busy street. The lights flashed then went back off. The abs light stayed on this last time, thanks goodness, I took digital photos for proof incase it went off when it was towed to the dealer.
They have replaced the computer in the front (i'd better see what they replaced) and they are working on it now. Pulling up codes c1223 and some others. I'll get more info on monday. They have diligently worked with me and filed with toyota. I have had a rental for 10 days now.
I had better buy the extended warrenty and I'll file a compliant as well. This is a major safety issue. Thanks again for all you help.

qmag
02-20-2007, 01:10 PM

My Sequoia is at the dealership right now for the same reason. It has 80K miles. What exactly did you tell the dealer to have them pay for the repair? I've already established a service record with this dealership. Thanks

2003SeqLtd
03-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm having the same VSC issue with my 03 Sequoia. Dealer pulled up codes C1241, C1231, C1223, and C1203 and quoted $2500 to replace Translate and Skid Control computer. My first call to Toyota customer experience was before doing any research. I'll be calling back with TSB numbers BR002-03 and BR003-03, as well as a complaint number from NHSTA (IVOQ - File a Complaint (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/)) which has the authorization to require a recall. In addition to customer experience, I'd also recommend an NHSTA complaint!

ggesq
04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Here is the latest scoop if you're a Toyota Sequoia (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#) owner of 2003 to 2005 model. If you are having some problem with your Sequoia VSC TRAC sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage, please immediately report it to Toyota Corp Customer Relation (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#). This is a common problem that many Sequoia owners have experience. But Toyota (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#) will not do a recall on this. Make sure to review your warranty. If you're still within your warranty, that is 3 yrs/36,000 miles, and you're experiencing this problem, TAKE YOUR CAR (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#) TO THE DEALER IMMEDIATELY! But before you do, file a complaint to the Customer Experience Center (About Toyota: Contact Toyota -- Contact Toyota (http://www.toyota.com/about/contact/index.html) ) and call the number posted in the page. Make sure that you get a Case# filed. If you have passed your warranty, make sure to file the complaint immediately as well. Toyota knows this is a faulty part and they would only do a recall on them if every Sequoia owner would file a complaint. You can also file this problem to the Better Business Bureau and Local State Consumer agency. If you don't do this, to fix this problem could cost you a lot of money out of your pocket. I am sharing this with everyone because I just experienced this problem with my 2003 Sequoia. And it almost cost me half of my mortgage (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#). The dealer was nice enough to recognize the problem since I filed a complaint and they only charged me with Labor cost. But still, I should have to pay anything at all. Good luck everyone and keep enjoying your Sequoia out there. It's a great SUV (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic544406.htm#) despite of the faulty computer part. :)

Seems like the link to Toyota w/ the relevant number is no longer available. Can someone provide the number? I need to file a complaint. I have an 04 Sequoia w/ 80k miles. Local dealer says I need a new ABS computer. I too am a victim to having ABC/TRAC/VSC lights on. :eek:

arturo81
06-22-2011, 06:20 PM
I tried to jump the cg and tc but the vsc and abs light wont blink... only dte door open light blinks

I did the ts an cg jump and i got all the beeps while driving so the sensors seems to be ok, i also tried to do de reset thing whit the brake pedal with no result...
whats the problem the precheck.pdf says if the abs doesn't blink dtc you mus check the ABS warning light circuit and VSC TRAC warning light circuit but the pages aren't included....

any ideas on how to fix this problem?
thanks

arturo