Question CV boots throwing grease

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: CV boots throwing grease

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default CV boots throwing grease

so i just installed my bilstein 5100 series shocks set at the highest level i also have a toytec diff drop. after the install i took my truck in for an alignment. the mechanic told me that both half shafts need to be replaced because the boots are throwing grease. is there any truth in that? or do just the boots that are throwing the grease need to be replaced?

any info will help thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: CV boots throwing grease

Do the boots both have holes in them? Do you actually see damage? This seems on to me that they would both be damaged.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2010 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD 5.7L 4x4 - Corsa Sport exhaust, K&N cold air intake, OEM tow mirrors, Weathertech floor liners, Truxport tonneau cover, Line-X, 20% front tint to match factory, Prodigy P3 brake controller, Equalizer hitch

2011 Prius II - full 20% tint, Weathertech floor liners

2005 Forest River Surveyor 233T Hybrid travel trailer

Liked
    694 times

You can do just the boots. But with labor, it may be cheaper to replace the whole thing. On that note, a mechanic friend said not to bother with it until they start clicking.
    If you search, there are DIYs on both boot and shaft replacement on this forum.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
    I don't entirely know what OCD is, but I know it's very fashionable to accuse people of having it if they try and do something properly. -James May

Liked
    24 times
    Images

There is a mod to use two stainless steel hose clamps on each end of each boot to stop them from oozing grease. I put on 5100's but haven't gotten around to putting the clamps on yet.
    Do a little searching and I'm sure you'll find the post with pics and instructions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    05 Sequoia 4x4 Ltd. Phantom Grey Pearl, Weld 20" wheels on Michelin tires, MagnaFlow cat-back, Amsoil fluids, custom 15" overhead DVD system, Eclipse NAV system w/camera, Sirius tuner, HD Radio tuner. HAT tweeters, Scanspeak mids and DLS coaxials, TRU B-2110 and H-1 amps, 13" eD sub, iPod hookup. SilverStar Ultra lamps, Bilsteins all around.

Liked
    24 times
    Images

INFO: CV BOOT MOD (Hose Clamp)
    INFO: CV BOOT MOD (Hose Clamp)

Found it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    05 Sequoia 4x4 Ltd. Phantom Grey Pearl, Weld 20" wheels on Michelin tires, MagnaFlow cat-back, Amsoil fluids, custom 15" overhead DVD system, Eclipse NAV system w/camera, Sirius tuner, HD Radio tuner. HAT tweeters, Scanspeak mids and DLS coaxials, TRU B-2110 and H-1 amps, 13" eD sub, iPod hookup. SilverStar Ultra lamps, Bilsteins all around.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Yeah i found that mod worked great. only difference i only used one longer clamp on each boot but so far no problems