Icon Vehicle Dynamics (formerly Donahoe) Coilovers

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icon Vehicle Dynamics (formerly Donahoe) Coilovers

Liked
    0 times

Default Icon Vehicle Dynamics (formerly Donahoe) Coilovers

Note- Early in 2008, Donahoe Racing closed its doors. The employees, most notably Dylan Evans (previously at Swayaway) and Mike Crosby, formed Icon Vehicle Dynamics and will continue to provide quality products under the IVD name, as well as (last I heard) continue to honor the warranty on Donahoe Racing products. -D67

I now had my Donahoe Coilovers for about two weeks and wanted to leave some feedback. First of all, the Donahoe's dramatically improved the handling of the Tundra. When I installed the Donahoe's, I wanted to see if there would be a significant difference compared to my stock TRD suspension. I must say that I was blown away with the difference. On turns that my truck used to lean alot, it didn't do it anymore. Also when braking, nose diving was almost eliminated. The on-road handling was greatly improve with the Donahoe's.
    This past weekend was the first time that I went offroading since I put on the Donahoe's. I must say that the Donahoe's are equally impressive off-road as they were with the on-road performance. I drove over dirt, ditches, rocks and sand. The Donahoe's absorb alot of the bumps from the rocks in the dirt trails. In areas that I usually have to drive slow and cautious, I just breezed through. I couldn't believe the difference a coiliover could make. Even my friend with his Tacoma couldn't keep up with me at times. He was quite impressed with the difference in my truck.
    I really am stoked with my Donahoe Coilovers! I won't say that Donahoe's are better tham SAW's, Kings, TeamWest etc... because I never tried the other coilovers. I just think that Donahoe Racing is now giving the Tundra owner another option for a quality Coilover. I read somewhere that a quality coilover is like night and day compared to a stock set up and now I can say that I agree!
    Last edited by DevinSixtySeven; 02-26-2008 at 07:20 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    640 times
    Images

good to hear!

how do the "internal hydraulic limit straps" work?

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Do you have any pictures of them? What is the cost?
    2000 2wd. King coilovers. AAL, Spintech Muffler,

Liked
    1 times

Originally posted by DeepStealth
    good to hear!

how do the "internal hydraulic limit straps" work?

thats what i would like to know. Post if you have bottomed out.

Liked
    0 times

I really don't know how the "internal hydraulic limit straps" work. Give Kreg @ Donahoe Racing a call and he can answer that for you. The phone number is (714) 632-3033. Kreg is really easy to talk to and is willing to answer any questions about his products. As far as bottoming out is concerned, i didn't have a problem with that. I'll post pictures as soon as possible, however the pictures were accidentally deleted from the camera. As soon as new pictures are taken, I'll post them up.

Mod formerly known as tpgn00 dbldutch's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Thumbs up

I totally agree with you Lawaia, I've had the donahoe coilovers for a week now and they are awesome. They have greatly improved the handling of my truck. I haven't bottomed out once yet and I have gone through some pretty big dips.

-tpgn00
    - Kees -
    Handling, Suspension & Brake Discussions Moderator

MODS: : line-x, camburg coilovers, tint, 305 65 18 BF Goodrich All-Terrains, sirius

Father to Jack: Born 1/16/08 2lbs 11 oz.

About to post a question? Try Searching the forums first!

Muay Thai Kickboxing of Colorado

http://www.muaythaiofcolorado.com/

Liked
    1 times

they run about 950 dollars. Ive never seen any trophy trucks, class 7's etc to my SMALL knowledge of off road, baja, and crawling any coilover that didnt use external limit straps. would like to know about some real romping results SF500 stuff.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Robby Gordon dosnt use front limit straps. Its a trophy truck. A stock tundra dosnt use limit straps as well. What do you think stops the front suspension on a stock truck from bottoming out?>?? The Shock. If we can make a Trophy truck shocks Like a King or sway-a-way a by-pass shock that will fully hydrolic at bump Stopping a 6000lbs truck at 100mph why can't we build a simple hydrolic droop stop inside the shock??? Thats easy.. and its very simple. Once our new web sight launches you will be able to see an exploded view of our shock. The droop stop is a trick we have been using for years in race trucks. Its not all that crazy. and the cost is cheeper then having a limit strap set up.

Liked
    640 times
    Images

...i heard they were adjustable...true/false? (i mean the limiter)

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    1 times

right on.. post the link when its up

What is six times seven? bmlecuy's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times

Thumbs up Donahoe Installed

I installed my Donahoe's on Saturday ... see My Pics for some photos.

Put a few miles on them over the weekend. Nothing too severe, but a good variety. Around town, highway, washboard dirt roads, and some mild off-roading. I too am seriously impressed with the improvment over my TRD stock suspension.

Brian
    2002 Tundra SR5 AcessCab 4x4 TRD Off Road w/ LSD
    Supercharged, Unichiped, IPT VB Mod, S&S Tri-Y LT Headers ... more

Liked
    0 times

you guys are about to make me scratch installing my audio equipment next summer and savin up for the donahoes from the start instead of daystar to start then upgrade my coilovers, its tempting!

wes

Liked
    0 times

Default Coil-overs in winter

How well do any of the coil-overs (SAW, Teamwest, Donahoe, etc.) do in the winter weather? Especially in areas where salt is used on the roads. Thanks.

Liked
    640 times
    Images

they're fine...no exposed steel on the shocks, all aluminum, and the coil is epoxy coated. the adapter plate tho, be sure to properly coat it, as with all non-stainless steel exposed. i have noticed a little corrosion that has dripped down from the adapter plate and slightly marked the shock body. i'm more worried about the rest of the truck than i am the coilovers.
    my suggestion for winter after spending one here in ohio (where the winters are mild and weak, and the salt is ridiculous) is get a second car, something that's an utter POS that you don't care about at all, and drive that 4 months out of the year.

-sean

(edit--24DEC05--when i originally posted this, i was under the impression the threaded damper body was aluminum alloy. it is not, and therefore will corrode like any other steel part, tho not badly. a bead of rtv around the top of the adjusing collar will keep enough thread clean to adjust later, and seals the thread contact area from the elements. use lots of grease, too. a rotary brush will knock off any surface corrosion later, and the rtv can be peeled off. see my thread in this forum on the topic. and yeah, i used to go by deepstealth...)

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    Manual Hubs

Liked
    0 times

Drive something other than the Tundra, even in winter?! Kind of defeats the purpose of having a Tundra.

What do you suggest to coat the adapter plate with? While we're at how about my Mickey Thompson Classic IIs? I know I should take them off in the winter, but my Baja Radial MTXs are on them. Much better than the Rugged Trails. How about coating them, too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast