Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Auto headlights?

12K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  4Runnerspv 
#1 ·
Very disappointed that my 05 DC does not have automatic headlights. Any mods to make this happen?

Thanks,

TOm

#2 ·
My 2004 DC does - sorta have auto headlights. Just pullinto the drive at night with your lights "on", shutoff the key, get out & lock the door and walk away. Your lights will turn off automatically. Get in turn the key on, cranke her up, and your lights will come back on.

If you shut your ignition off prior t to turning the lights on, then your lights will stay on until the battery protection is activated.

I haven't really studied this issue, just some casual observations.

#4 ·
tomhole said:
My 2005 works the same. Problem is it does the same thing during the day so I drive around with the lights on. Not a huge deal, just baffles me that auto headlights aren't standard in today's age.

Tom
Whats the point? The knob is like 2 inches away from your finger....
Why not drive around with your lights on? It makes it easier for other motorists to see you. Besides you already have DRLS, so your lights are already halfway on all the time anyways.

#5 ·
auto headlights annoy me! I dont always want them on, plus they turn on for 2 seconds when you go under a bridge ..... wow! thanks!

oh yeah, and how would you hide from cops down dark alleys??

#8 ·
My '05 DC doesn't have the DRL either. and don't want them. Have you ever paid attn. to the GM trucks that do have DRL, everyone of them seem to have at least one of the lights burnt out.

#11 ·
P07r0457 said:
auto headlights is NOT DRL.

My chevy had auto heads, but no DRL.
OH! I'm sorry :( ,I didn't mention anything about auto headlights. Don't want them either.... I too had a Chevy, but had both, didn't see the need in them. If I couldn't see, I could have just turned them on. :ts: for correcting me

#12 ·
SO.... does anyone have a mod to make this happen?

I was stumped about this too in my 06... my 00 celica had it and my g/f's base model 05 corolla has it... why not the Tundra?

#13 ·
Yeah, DRLs (daytime running lamps) are optional it seems. The 06' base regular cab that I was considering awhile back did NOT have DRL's, which is sad, considering that Chevrolet-GMC has had this feature on their trucks as standard since 1996. Yes, they can be annoying, but they are effective safety features. The 4-Runner has had them standard since 2000 or no later than 2001, so strange that they were not standard on the Tundra either.

My mothers 1997 Oldsmobile has DRL's and auto headlights. They can be annoying sometimes. The light sensor on hers must be dirty, because only in the months of May thru August do the auto headlights stay off until evening. Somtimes, depending upon the direction you are going, in the middle of the day, in the winter/early spring/late fall months, they illuminate. Thats is not whats annoying. Whats annoying is that it tones down the radio lights as well and its difficult to see.

#14 ·
My 2004 DC does - sorta have auto headlights. Just pullinto the drive at night with your lights "on", shutoff the key, get out & lock the door and walk away. Your lights will turn off automatically. Get in turn the key on, cranke her up, and your lights will come back on.

If you shut your ignition off prior t to turning the lights on, then your lights will stay on until the battery protection is activated.

I haven't really studied this issue, just some casual observations.
I have the same thing with my 2003, but my S-10 had TRULY automatic headlights. There was a sensor in the rearview mirror that if there wasn't substantial light for over five minutes, the headlights would come on. I LOVED that feature as I hardly ever (if ever) touched the manual light switch.

However, that is the ONLY feature that worked well on that POS S-10. I do wish that more manufacturer's had automatic lights like Chevrolet does.

#15 ·
Yeah, they put the sensors in unusual places. On my mothers Oldsmobile, I think it is located down in the defroster vent on the passenger side. Of course in a place where we cannot clean it. :clown:

I have the same thing with my 2003, but my S-10 had TRULY automatic headlights. There was a sensor in the rearview mirror that if there wasn't substantial light for over five minutes, the headlights would come on. I LOVED that feature as I hardly ever (if ever) touched the manual light switch.

However, that is the ONLY feature that worked well on that POS S-10. I do wish that more manufacturer's had automatic lights like Chevrolet does.

#17 ·
I suppose the short answer is "No, there is no mod for auto lights", unless of course you can get the sensor out of another toyota. You might have to replace the headlight turn stalk on the steering column too.

I often leave the headlights on, they turn off when the motor is off and drivers' door opens. I hate that it dims the clock.

#18 ·
i have an easily solution

go buy a different truck that comes with them ! :clown:

toyota is missing alot of features that other trucks offer.

such a compass, a temperature gauge, and one of them displays that tell you ur range/ mpg/ etc.... what can ya do?

#19 ·
The temp gauge and compass is an easy add w/ the mirror upgrade, which i had in my celica, I just figured Toyota was onboard with this basic auto headlight thing since it was in all their other base model Toyotas.... i guess the auto and truck design people are in different buildings :D

tundra_hick, why do you suppose you'd have to replace the headlight turn stalk? I figured you could get the light diode and splice it in somewhere, although i know its not quite that easy... I'm aware that there is a time delay and other "brains" that go along with working this, so maybe it has to be in the ecu?

#20 ·
The temp gauge and compass is an easy add w/ the mirror upgrade, which i had in my celica, I just figured Toyota was onboard with this basic auto headlight thing since it was in all their other base model Toyotas.... i guess the auto and truck design people are in different buildings :D

tundra_hick, why do you suppose you'd have to replace the headlight turn stalk? I figured you could get the light diode and splice it in somewhere, although i know its not quite that easy... I'm aware that there is a time delay and other "brains" that go along with working this, so maybe it has to be in the ecu?
Just disregard what I said earlier.

I did find this, it does exactly what you want

Automatic Headlight Control

#21 ·
Well I for one hate auto headlights. My chevy had them and you could not turn them off on the 99 model year. Many times I would approach a checkpoint that required you to drop to parking lights only and I couldn't turn the stupid things off. Tried shining a flashlight on the dash sensor to turn them off. I'm glad the tundra doesn't have those annoying things on it. Now all I need is a switch to turn off the rear lights and brake lights when I don't want to be seen.:devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.