4 wheel drive problem please help!!!!!!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 4 wheel drive problem please help!!!!!!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 4 wheel drive problem please help!!!!!!

I have a 2003 Tundra. When I try to put it in 4 high (or 4 low for that matter). All that happens when I push the button is the 4 wheel drive light just blinks and it does not go into 4 wheel drive. I have tried stopping completely, putting in park, turning truck on and off. Nothing works. I need help winter will be here soon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    53 times

Default Re: 4 wheel drive problem please help!!!!!!

Do you have instructions on your sun visor explaining how to engage 4wd? Do exactly as those instructions specify.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

we are having the same problem, toyota tech worked around 8 hours and didn' t have any answers. There seems to be no power to the actuator on the front diff. wondering where its power supply comes from and what else to check. Thanks

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Just a guess here, but most 4X4 are used in 2 wheel drive 99% of the time. A good preventive idea is to activate the 4X4 button every 2 or 3 weeks so that the system gets a work out to keep it in shape. If you haven't activated the 4X4 system in a year or more, maybe the actuator is stuck or something is clogged up in mud.............
    Enjoying the awesome 5.7 L engine

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    4 times
    Images

i had the same problem and replaced the front actuator per the dealer at $450.00 and that worked for about 2 weeks until it started again...

the dealer could not find the problem and said the transfercase actuator might be it.

i then was going to replace the transfercase actuator until i found out the actuator was $1050.00 and required the transfer case to be removed and pulled apart at 12 hr labor for a grand total of $3500.00.

i took my tundra home and found a simple fix for mine, you can try this with yours it takes 15 mins.

i took the transfercase actuator cover off (3 bolts a vacuum line, and connector) and the actuator some how got water in it, looked like a bad o-ring to me, the contacts were rusted and not conducting power so i took 800 grit sandpaper and sanded the rust off, put some Dielectric grease on the contacts, and some black rtv on the cover.

i have had no problems with it after that.

also the front diff actuator is very similar (4 screws hold the cover on) the same fix can be done with this one as well..

i have some pic of the cover before and after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01563.jpg 
Views:	2949 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	37093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01569.jpg 
Views:	2653 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	37094  
    wytoyota and rayfromray like this.
    2004 Tundra stepside.
    6" RCD lift, Camburg UCA, 4:56 front & rear, arb air locker, arb Sahara bar with 12000 bulldog winch, custom exhaust, 315/75r/16 km2 mt's
    stubbs sliders, ARE shell, ORS Hub kit.:rockon:

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Like was said before, engage the 4wd atleast once a month to keep it lubed properly. I engage mine once i pull out of my driveway, and drive it down my street...and no i don't turn street corners with it engaged...atleast try not to

If the light blinks, try creeping forward a tad. Then push the button again.
    2005 DC TUNDRA TRD LMT. 4x4

Better ask sombody.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    646 times
    Images

If the vacuum lines are damaged, in addition to not engaging, the systems will rust from the inside out...lost the ADD actuator on the front diff that way, it was garbage in side.

Hit the 4HI button once in a while, to keep the system lubricated...even if that means driving slow in a straight line on a dry road for a ways, hitting the button over and over just to cycle the system.

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Where is the front diff acuator located?

Liked
    4 times
    Images

here is a picture http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...-10_380x0w.jpg

dont forget to check the transfercase actuator as well, that is what caused my 4x4 light blink and not enguage, do not remove the whole actuator just the motor cover.
    2004 Tundra stepside.
    6" RCD lift, Camburg UCA, 4:56 front & rear, arb air locker, arb Sahara bar with 12000 bulldog winch, custom exhaust, 315/75r/16 km2 mt's
    stubbs sliders, ARE shell, ORS Hub kit.:rockon:

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I know this is going to sound lame but my brother in law works the service counter at a toyota dealership and he said they see this problem quite a bit. Their fix is to engage the 4 hi button in park, then when the light starts flashing put the truck in reverse on dry pavement and cut the wheel all the way to the right or left while backing out slowly.

It fixed my problem. He said for some reason if you do not use your 4 wheel drive regularly that the grease migrates in the mechanism (or something like that). Anyway it was a superquick easy fix for me and after trying to figure this out for about a month of crawling under my truck and tapping the ADD, I am happy to have this behind me.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

ANyone ever hear a ratcheting sound when trying to engage while moving? That's what I get.

Liked
    0 times

I had the same problem with my 2003 4x4. I followed the directions above

" took the transfercase actuator cover off (3 bolts a vacuum line, and connector) and the actuator some how got water in it, looked like a bad o-ring to me, the contacts were rusted and not conducting power so i took 800 grit sandpaper and sanded the rust off, put some Dielectric grease on the contacts, and some black rtv on the cover.

i have had no problems with it after that.

also the front diff actuator is very similar (4 screws hold the cover on) the same fix can be done with this one as well.."

Cleaned the front AND rear actuator and it worked perfectly. The front one is a little more complicated you will need a 14-16 inch phillips head screwdriver. within the FRONT actuator is a small electrical motor and a drill that turns some gears. the electrical motor in mine was jammed up and the screw was rusted. I removed the motor cleaned and used the dremmel to clean the screw. Works like a champ. Actually works better than it has in 3-4 years.

Liked
    0 times

did you find your noise problem? my 2003 4 wheel drive will not engage. when it's in 2 wheel drive it makes a grinding noise up in the front diff., when i put it in 4 wheel drive it stops, but it will not kick into 4 wheel drive (light blinks). I wasn't driving when this started happening. my friend said it just wouldn't go into 4 wheel drive for him, and now i am having these problems. I will try this fix.
    Last edited by harlanboy; 03-30-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by keiton View Post
    I know this is going to sound lame but my brother in law works the service counter at a toyota dealership and he said they see this problem quite a bit. Their fix is to engage the 4 hi button in park, then when the light starts flashing put the truck in reverse on dry pavement and cut the wheel all the way to the right or left while backing out slowly.

It fixed my problem. He said for some reason if you do not use your 4 wheel drive regularly that the grease migrates in the mechanism (or something like that). Anyway it was a superquick easy fix for me and after trying to figure this out for about a month of crawling under my truck and tapping the ADD, I am happy to have this behind me.
    I can't hardly believe it. This fix just worked for me!!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Mine worked fine last Winter, but I tested it after this evening's oil change and got the flashing 4hi light. I found this thread by searching "4hi blink" and started into the various ideas listed here.

Tried reversing w/ the steering hard over left, then again to the right, no effect.

Tried tapping both the front diff and transfer case actuator housings w/ a plastic dead-blow hammer, no effect.

I removed the vacuum hose from the transfer case actuator nipple and it was dry-cracked badly, no way it was sealing. Trimmed 1/2" off the end of the hose to get nice clean rubber, put it back on the actuator nipple, and blammo 4hi was back in service. 4-lo was a different story, wouldn't engage the first try...just blinked 4-lo a few times and then went back to 4hi. 2nd try it engaged with an abnormally-loud audible "clunk" and worked. I drove it a few yards, disengaged it and 4hi, drove ~2 miles, then repeated. 4hi again no problem, 4-lo engaged much more quietly. Disengaged, drove back to the house, repeated 4hi and 4-lo and it was back to a nice normal click during engagement. I hadn't used 4-lo in over a year, possibly two years, so it may have just needed some motion to get the gear lube into the right places.

Previous transfer case fill was Mobil-1 75W-90 w/ premixed Limited Slip additive and my box didn't like it a bit. Engagement of 4hi was fine, but disengagement had a loud clunk at any speed over ~1mph. I just refilled with Coastal 75W-90 synthetic blend, no Limited Slip additive, and disengagement is back to normal click now. I'm supposing that the friction modifier LS additive is a no-go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast