how do i lube a 2wd slip yoke?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: how do i lube a 2wd slip yoke?

Liked
    8 times

Question how do i lube a 2wd slip yoke?

Plenty of tutorials on the 4wd trucks but not much info on the 2wd. Do I just slide the drive shaft out, clean, lube? Does the driveshaft hold in the tranny fluid? How do I realign the driveshaft support? Thanks for the info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    158 times

Default Re: how do i lube a 2wd slip yoke?

You don't need to pull the shaft to lube the slip joint. There should be a Zirk fitting located on the the rear most half of the shaft. A little squirt of grease should be all you need.
    2006 DC 4X4 SR5 Phantom Grey Metallic. Mods include: Full Tint,LED lighting inside & Out. Front End Leveling Kit, 900 watt JBL/Alpine audio System, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, OBX Stainless Steel Headers, Magniflow Muffler, TRD Dual Exhaust, Polyurethane Upper/Lower Control Arm & P/S Rack Bushings.

Liked
    2825 times
    Images

The 2WD driveshafts do not have zerk fittings....
    tundrunk likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    158 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    So Zirk's were standard issue w/ 4Wheel Drive and non existent on 2Wheel models. Who's bright idea was that? LOL.(Stupid Bean counters @ Toyota- I'm guessing) I'm glad that I've got a 4x4 model, cuz there's no way I'm going to drop the drive shaft just to grease it!
    2006 DC 4X4 SR5 Phantom Grey Metallic. Mods include: Full Tint,LED lighting inside & Out. Front End Leveling Kit, 900 watt JBL/Alpine audio System, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, OBX Stainless Steel Headers, Magniflow Muffler, TRD Dual Exhaust, Polyurethane Upper/Lower Control Arm & P/S Rack Bushings.

Liked
    1740 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    4WDs last twice as long and need twice the maintenance
    tundrunk likes this.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    8 times

?? Procedure for lubing a 2wd??

Liked
    592 times
    Images

If this is for a Tundra,and not a Tacoma, then yes, it looks like you can possibly lose tranny fluid once you pull the slip yoke. There is an SST listed in the FSM that you insert into the back of the tranny to prevent fluid loss. As to whether that is just for drippage, and to keep debris out of the tranny, or to stop a full blown waterfall of tranny fluid, I dont know....
    And yeah, that seems like a dumb design, considering the 4WDs have a bolt-on flange, so no need to pull the yoke out of the tranny.

I'd suggest seeing if you can replace the Ujoint with a 4WD one that has a zerk, (wont help this time, but would make future lubing easier), but then I dont know if the added weight of the zerk would throw off the balance of the shaft... ??

Maybe you could park the truck on slight downhill incline, so the tranny tail is higher than the front....May keep fluid from pouring out...???

Liked
    1740 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2rz-fte View Post
    ?? Procedure for lubing a 2wd??
    there isn't one because there is nothing to lube on the front suspension, the drive line, or the rear suspension of your 2wd tundra.
    tundrunk likes this.

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stone_Blue View Post
    If this is for a Tundra,and not a Tacoma, then yes, it looks like you can possibly lose tranny fluid once you pull the slip yoke. There is an SST listed in the FSM that you insert into the back of the tranny to prevent fluid loss. As to whether that is just for drippage, and to keep debris out of the tranny, or to stop a full blown waterfall of tranny fluid, I dont know....
    And yeah, that seems like a dumb design, considering the 4WDs have a bolt-on flange, so no need to pull the yoke out of the tranny.

I'd suggest seeing if you can replace the Ujoint with a 4WD one that has a zerk, (wont help this time, but would make future lubing easier), but then I dont know if the added weight of the zerk would throw off the balance of the shaft... ??

Maybe you could park the truck on slight downhill incline, so the tranny tail is higher than the front....May keep fluid from pouring out...???
    This is exactly what I was afraid of. Because I read that the tranny fluid is supposed to lube the splines. Terrible design because the tranny and the slip yoke require very different type of lubrication. Anyhow my tundra's clunk is very strong and I really need to address it.

Now it leads me to this question.... If I put the ford PTFE lube on the splines, won't that grease get into the tranny? That seems like a terrible thing. I'm not sure if I want grease and tranny fluid to mix.

Liked
    592 times
    Images

So if the tranny fluid lubes the yoke splines, why would you need to lube it? If your driveline is already clunking, then you probably already need to replace the U-joint(s), since lubing them after you already have a clunking is pointless. I coud be wrong, but it looks like the center bearing does have a zerk fitting. You could maybe try lubing that...

Liked
    8 times

I'll definitely climb under there and shoot some grease into any zerk I find. The thing is I don't feel the super this tranny fluid is sufficient for the high pressure sliding motion. Its more of a extremely viscous with Teflon it moly type of application.

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

The dc has a two piece shaft and magically enough no zerk to lube the spline with.
    RIP 2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Liked
    1740 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2rz-fte View Post
    I'll definitely climb under there and shoot some grease into any zerk I find.
    ^ now that's funny
    tundrunk likes this.

Search for your answer.

Liked
    2236 times
    Images

LMAO!

The driveshaft doesn't hold any fluid in the tranny. I'm not sure where you read that Stone, but it's not true, there's a seal on the tail of the tranny which is much like the crankshaft seal. I've pulled my driveshaft off twice, don't worry about fluid but make marks with a paint marker and remember the orientation of shaft to shaft and shaft to rear end for reassembly. Might want to take pictures to make it easier to remember where things lined up.

There isn't a way to lube our joints as far as I know, at least not a way that will last long. You may be able to grease them if you take the joints apart but that won't last a long time since you can only apply the grease externally. Might have to look to replacements if they are acting up, if they aren't then don't mess with them.
    SuckersWalk likes this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    592 times
    Images

I said I didnt know if pulling the yoke would gush fluid, or if it would just drip some.

"As to whether that is just for drippage, and to keep debris out of the tranny, or to stop a full blown waterfall of tranny fluid, I dont know....""

I've never had the misfortune to ever own any 2WD, rear wheel drive vehicle.

Straight out of the FSM:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2WD driveshaft removal.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	91824  
    Last edited by Stone_Blue; 11-21-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast