Lithium or Molybdenum grease?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Lithium or Molybdenum grease?

Liked
    0 times

Question Lithium or Molybdenum grease?

In the manual for my 2003 Tundra it says to use Lithium base chassis grease for the propeller shaft u joints and Molybdenum Disulfide for the Double Cardan joint. Can I use the Molybdenum for all the fittings? It's a better grease isn't it? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by SigShooter
    In the manual for my 2003 Tundra it says to use Lithium base chassis grease for the propeller shaft u joints and Molybdenum Disulfide for the Double Cardan joint. Can I use the Molybdenum for all the fittings? It's a better grease isn't it? Thanks
    I personally use Amsoil Synthetic Moly on everything (for years) and I've never had an issue. However, there are times when moly can cause an issue with bearings if it spins out and builds up (because it's so hard). I've never seen it personally, but I have heard of it. I stick to Amsoil, Redline, or Mobile 1 and have never had a grease issue.

I run it though and I've never had to replace a U-joint. That includes a 30 year old Dodge van with who knows how many miles. The odometer was broken for a while but it's got to have over 250,000 miles on it.

Alan

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

Lithium is the base material in the grease, moly is an additive in the grease, and synthetic tells about the type of oil held in the base.

The base is the thickener. Lithium or lithium complex is probably the most popular grease base material. The base is something like a sponge. It holds oil in its pores, and the oil does the lubricating. The oil can be conventional or synthetic. Molybdenum disulfide is a dark gray powder that is very hard and very slippery. It is one possible additive to grease, and moly is excellent for slow moving, heavily loaded points...I use moly-additized grease on the sliding spline on the driveshaft.

So, grease can be lithium base, contain synthetic or conventional oil, with or without moly.

Top quality lithium base moly grease is fine everywhere. Less than top quality moly can contain abrasive particles that can damage needle, ball, or roller bearings.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by KLS
    Lithium is the base material in the grease, moly is an additive in the grease, and synthetic tells about the type of oil held in the base.

Ken
    You know, one odd thing that I've found with synthetic greases that I've never had happen with conventional is that they have a funny way of separating over time if you leave them in a gun. I've had it happen with Amsoil, Redline, and Mobile one. If you leave them alone in the gun long enough in a hot garage fluid definitely starts to drain out of the gun.

I often end up throwing away the end of the tube before I use all the grease because the oil drained out of the base and left it thicker than I liked. It might still be fine but I'd rather be safe than sorry. But I go through a tube of grease over several years though. I really don't use much of it at all. I wish I could get a mini tube.

alan

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by KLS
    Top quality lithium base moly grease is fine everywhere. Less than top quality moly can contain abrasive particles that can damage needle, ball, or roller bearings.

Ken
    So what brands would you recommend, Mobil 1, Amsoil etc I would assume would be good? I dont ever remember seeing any Mobil 1 being sold in tubes to fit a grease gun, at least not at any auto parts. Would a "commonly" sold brand be ok?
    SATundra
    2001 Limited, V8, 2wd, TRD, Metallic Silver Sky

MODS:
    TIRES:
    Michelin LTX M/S LT265/75/R16 load C rated
    SUSPENSION:
    front - red/blu 4x4 HD Bilsteins shocks & HD TRD 4x4 coils providing 1.75" lift, rear - TRD add-a-leafs, Hellwig swaybar, yell/blu 4x4 Bilsteins
    INTERIOR: CB-Ham/Scanner/150W linear amp in custom console, 10 disc CD player, Donnelly comp/temp mirror, Toyota All Weather floormats, tinted windows, radar detector, backseat angle mod,
    EXTERIOR: Grizzly SS brushguard, Better Built alum toolbox w/lights, Weatherflector Ventvisors, chrome step tubes, UTR bedliner, hitch, SteelHorse Bull Rings, Mobil 1 oils, 2 TS stickers, 2 TS license frames, 2 www.TundraSolutions.com stickers,
    ELECTRICAL: 55W undercarriage entry lights, extra set 55W reverse lights, 55W underhood lights, DEI alarm, 12V Acc plug/engine compartment, 400watt power inverter, foglight/cargolight/acc plug/maplight mod

Liked
    0 times

I plan on doing my own maintenance from now on and since im not taking it anywhere i need to lube the chassis. I know where to lube it all at. and which greases to use but when i went to NAPA to buy grease im not sure if i got the right stuff.

I got some of the valvoline SYN POWER which is moly-fortified. I suppose this will do for those moly lube points but they didnt have anything that simply said. Lithium based chassis lube so i bought what i thought was the closest thing which is Valvolines "Cerulean" which as it says is a "multipurpose lithium complex grease formula" Like that tells me alot.
    Cerulean

Anyhow its Blue so can anyone tell me if this is the right stuff? I read that some people are using this syn power stuff for all lube points while others disagree.

And how much grease to i pump in there? One pump, 3-5, 30? Till it comes out the seals?

And just my luck sears was sold out of both grease guns AND needle adapters.

Thanks for the help

Everything Under The Sun Is Eclipsed By The Moon, But The Sun Is Eclipsed By The Moon- Roger Waters

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    621 times
    Images

i use that same synpower stuff...it's cheap and works on everything, and i do mean everything. it's like snot for my truck.

i have noticed tho like alan said, you gotta stir it a little once in a while. i buy the cans, not the gun, dunno how youd stir a tube.

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I agree that the biggest problem is trying to find the right grease in an auto parts store. Just try to find some good old "lithium based chassis grease" or "moly fortified" anything. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spots, but it sure is frustrating. Same thing with gear lube. I gave up trying to find 75W-90 in any auto parts store, much less the straight 90W that the owners manual calls out for the rear diff. If anyone has had better luck, please shed some light on a good place to buy grease and gear lube.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Stores that are inclined towards farm/ranch type goods are usually a excellent place to look for a variety of lubricants. They may not be heavily stocked in synthetic lubes, except for automotive use (Fleet Farm here isn't) but that's where I've found a huge variety of stuff. Tractor Supply and others in your different areas may have what you want.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.